NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Tom's journal

Tom

What kind of strength training program are you doing? I'm starting up easy, but I'll likely do more strenuous workouts once I get my strength back, so I'm looking for ideas.

First some background. My aim was to gain weight and be healthy. Although I always did sports, I was 58 kg at 170 cm and always getting sick. Stress pad a big role there but that's another story.

I was looking for the quickest and most effective method After some experimentation I found StrongLifts 5x5 to be the best routine for me.

I thought I'd find lifting weights excruciatingly boring, especially since I come from a martial arts background. How wrong I was! Now I've built my home gym and I'm as happy as a pig in the mud.

Now that I'm at my target weight of 70 kg and the numbers say that I'm an intermediate lifter, I picked Madcow 5x5 as my intermediate program.

For running (you mentioned elsewhere you are preparing for a 5k) I found a 10-20-30 protocol to be very effective. I ran for a while and my performance skyrocketed with that method. Unfortunately running bores me to tears, plus it doesn't agree with my fast metabolism since it eats muscle like crazy.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Tom

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow congrats on those squads. I can confirm what you wrote: I also feel much better since I gained some kilos. Used to have problem with my circular flow but eating more plus some jogging really helps. 

Do you use linux for work or private? I just tried linux several times but as I always needed to be able to play games I always stuck to windows. 

Do you use linux for work or private? I just tried linux several times but as I always needed to be able to play games I always stuck to windows. 

Both. Home PC is fully Linux. On my work laptop I dual-boot Linux and WIndows 7 because of some corporate applications not running well on Linux. We are changing some of those services though, so maybe in a few months I'll be able to run Linux exclusively.

Day 24. I hoped after yesterday's extended playtime I'd sleep longer and without interruptions. No way. My youngest son just won't let that happen. Dream recall was shattered again and the night's sleep just wasn't good enough.

Yesterday my wife twisted her ankle so she had to stay in bed all day. House and child duty was on me. I also had a commitment to choose five videos for the next TEDx meeting so I shamelessly plugged my children to the TV and got to work with help from my wife. Interested in what talks made the cut? Here they are:

19:10 (TED original) How Not to Be Ignorant About the World | Hans and Ola Rosling | TED Talks
Data science extracts knowledge from large volumes of data. Hans Rosling and his son use it to explain today's rapidly changing world where intuition alone would lead to drastically different conclusions.

6:11 (TED original) ShaoLan: Learn to read Chinese ... with ease!
Chinese ideograms are supposed to be incredibly difficult to learn. ShaoLan spent years recognizing their patterns and exposing their meaning, coming up with a learning system that is easy and fun.

15:04 Why people believe they can’t draw - and how to prove they can | Graham Shaw | TEDxHull
We all have self-imposed beliefs on what we can and we can't do. Graham demonstrates that it's easy to overcome these limits and how beneficial it can be for our health and even our jobs.

14:37 The most important lesson from 83,000 brain scans | Daniel Amen | TEDxOrangeCoast
Psychiatry is the only medical science that doesn't look at the organ it's curing. Daniel's work combines psychiatrist with medical imaging to bring real benefits to patients and to prevent crime.

18:22 Confessions of a passionate introvert: Brian Little at TEDxOxbridge
A talk about recognizing and accepting the way we interact with others and what we need to recharge, as well as the importance of being able to act out of character.

We are passionate about these talks because they shake beliefs that are very ingrained in how people see the world and themselves today. We believe that recognizing and overcoming these self-imposed limitations is key in progressing both as individuals and as a species.

Gratitude journal:

1. Our homemade pizza tastes better than home delivery from the best pizzeria in town :)
  2. TED and TEDx are an endless source of wonder.
  3. IPA is finally available from local brewers. No more need for costly imports.

Day 25. Another poor night's sleep. Woke up dizzy and angry. I was irritated by the loud voices of my family members. I tried retreating to my office but it was no good. We had plans to go to the park but I bailed out. Went to bed in darkness and waited for the massive headache to go away.

After the children went to bed I had a chat with my wife about our life goals and how we can optimize. I was still feeling bad but I really wanted to do it.

Gratitude journal:

1. I had a couple of hours of silence.
  2. Super quiet celtic music is soothing.
  3. It's Sunday so there's nothing chasing me.

Day 26. A long night of sleep at last! Ten hours! Of course my youngest son was next to me when I woke up but this time I was too exhausted to even notice what went on during the night. I did a quick search to find out how soldiers manage to sleep in a war zone. Turns out they are constantly sleep deprived and that's it. Damn.

So my headache wasn't gone in the morning but hey, suck it up baby, it's a workday. Plus I needed to go to the office. So I left only to find that public transportation was disrupted and I had to wait quite a while. No problem, actually a good thing: I started reading The Power of Habit with great pleasure. I can see from the beginning that it's well put together. Can't wait to read it further. Thanks Joe :)

My original plan was to stay in the office for the minimum time necessary. However my headache finally subsided, so I changed my mind and decided to stay the whole day. I caught up with pretty much everybody, even with those with which I don't usually converse much. I left the office much happier than when I entered it.

Well, my routine was thrown off but I didn't want to skip my holy workout session. To my dismay I was still very low on physical and mental energy, so my performance was quite terrible. Well, I gave it all I could and I don't regret it!

Now I'll tuck my children into bed, have dinner, my beloved cold shower and some time with my wife. Today turned out much better than I expected.

Gratitude journal:

1. I am surrounded by positive, inspiring people. 360°.
  2. Those mega chocolate cookies they sell at the kiosk taste like sweet sweet sin.
  3. The Power of Habit is an interesting read.
Edited by Tom

Well, my routine was thrown off but I didn't want to skip my holy workout session. To my dismay I was still very low on physical and mental energy, so my performance was quite terrible. Well, I gave it all I could and I don't regret it!

1. Those mega chocolate cookies they sell at the kiosk taste like sweet sweet sin.

Sympathize with the cookies. Anything with chocolate is good. :)

It's great that you went to the gym even though you were low on energy. Those are the events I'd be most proud of.

Oh my god that's the worst thing that can happen! If you have a bad headache but you can't do anything about it because you are at work. If I am at home I would just go to bed for one or two hours but at work you just can't. 

I had this problem yesterday for two hours straight and I am just happy I didn't have a meeting. Afterwards I felt good again, even great. 

So I wish you no more headaches anymore! 

By the way I also love Celtic Music. Do you have any bands that you can recommend? I would recommend "BrunuhVille" if you are into calm music that you may use to meditate. 

So I wish you no more headaches anymore! 

By the way I also love Celtic Music. Do you have any bands that you can recommend? I would recommend "BrunuhVille" if you are into calm music that you may use to meditate. 

Bands to recommend? Mmm. I'm more into old stuff. The Chieftains and The Dubliners, together with Gaelic Storm, are some of my favorites Irish music bands. I also like an accordionist called John WhelanDéanta and their singer Mary Dillon.

There Were Roses by Tommy Sands is one of my favorite songs ever.

For Scottish bagpipes I can't recommend Gordon Duncan enough. A true genius. Just listen to those grace notes!

Then you have celtic inspired music where I like Enya and Loreena McKennitt above others. Oh and let's not forget Afro Celt Sound System!

I'll listen to BrunuhVille tomorrow, with good headphones. Thanks in advance for your suggestion!

I never listen to anything when I meditate. To me the best is total silence, and the sounds of nature around me.

Edited by Tom
Added links.

Day 27. I powered through the day instead of resting. My decision, and a good one business-wise. I also managed to study Dutch and spend some time with the children, although too little for my taste. Today was just one of those days when I worked even while eating dinner.

Gratitude list:

1. I'm in better health than yesterday.
  2. I'm on top of things at work and ready for next week's giant effort.
  3. I can now spend some time with my wife.

Day 28. I decided not to wake up early to regain some energy. It was a good choice. I felt much better today and I managed to accomplish a lot at work. I also caught up with my Dutch lessons and trained. A good day.

Gratitude journal:

1. We are all in good health at home.
  2. The weather is surprisingly good for this country at this time of year.
  3. Our health insurance company sent a plush elephant to my youngest son just because :)

Day 29. I woke up early and had four dreams to write down, with some hints of lucidity here and there. I finished writing just before my son's alarm clock started ringing. He woke up in a good mood which is not a granted! So we enjoyed the morning routine.

It's a hectic period at work and I'm feeling its toll. I'm not very stressed, however I could use a holiday or two :) Fortunately it's all good things!

I studied before work and I spent the evening with my family. The signal I made for my office is fantastic. No interruptions when it's red. Today (of course when it was green!) my children came to visit with the Spider-Man masks we made them. I put the big one under the barbell, gave a wooden katana to the little one, and shot a picture they will proudly cherish forever :ph34r:

I also finished the first section of The Power of Habit and started the second. It's very thought-provoking, especially when one considers all of its potential applications. I love when a book keeps me engaged even in between reads.

Gratitude journal:

1. I married a wonderful woman. We made two lovely children. Nuff said.
  2. I think my boss is one of the best things that ever happened to me. And my respect only grows over the years.
  3. We have a roof above our head. It's worth remembering that it's not a given.

Day 30. Woke up too early on my own and went back to sleep grateful: more sleep and higher chances of good dream recall. And that's exactly what happened. Later in the day I reached the part in which The Power of Habit writes about Michael Phelps, and realized that I I'm literally starting every day with a win, which is better dream recall. That's inspiring.

Gratitude journal:

1. I can finally go to sleep after a long and productive day.
  2. Industrial ear muffs. Sometimes you just need some quiet and they work great.
  3. Distant friends.

Day 31. This used to be a day of grief for me. For years the pain would bite hard and I'd just excuse myself and go be alone somewhere. Gaming was a given: it's always been a good anesthetic. Today I can finally say that I got over it. Anger made way to acceptance. I thought this day would never come. It even felt wrong to wish it would. And yet here I am, shaped by the experience but finally not burdened by it anymore.

Gratitude journal:

1. Bittersweet memories of a distant past. A cigarette, a ride home, a kind word.
  2. Life's sense of irony. This morning my nephew was born. A sweet little girl :)
  3. The warm feeling of friendship.

Day 32. It makes so much difference when the children wake up on their own, without an alarm clock! They are in a good mood and so the atmosphere at home is fun and relaxed. We had a slow morning and then decided we'd all go together to buy some stuff I needed. The two little ones are growing up, so what would have been a stressful experience some months ago turned out fine today. We even had lunch at a cafeteria. Another thing that helps keep the spirits up is that the weather is still awesome!

Today was also the day I planned meeting with my Canadian friend. It was the first time we hung out outside of our work environment and I can say that our instincts were good: we had a blast! It's good that we have one more week to go before he leaves!

Oh yes, about next week. I'll be busy from early mornings to late evenings with a business convention. I won't be active on this forum. No worries, I'll be fine :)

Actually I'm very much looking forward to it. I don't often get to spend time with those amazing people that are my colleagues. It will be a tough week physically, but a joy nonetheless.

Gratitude journal:

1. My freshly-baked nephew is healthy and so is my sister.
  2. Dutch cuisine. I'd have never imagined it would be so tasty.
  3. Living in a country at peace.

Days 33 to 38. Everything went as I anticipated, from getting way to little sleep (that was unavoidable) to having great discussions with colleagues and business partners. I'm tired but satisfied. The children were very sweet when I came back home yesterday and spent all the rest of the day with them.

I noticed a dangerous side effect of my focus on self-improvement: I'm becoming judgmental of people who are close to me when I don't see a commitment in evolving (becoming) and progressing (achieving). Lack of ambition and addictive behaviors are particularly effective at pushing my buttons. I'm working further on compassion and considering carefully if, when, and how I should intervene.

I finished The Power of Habit and loved it. Now I'm reading The Wisdom of Psychopaths and, although I'm only at 20%, I can only recommend it. It's mind-blowing.

Gratitude journal:

1. Being part of an awesome work community.
  2. Having the terrifying gift of introspection.
  3. The basket at the park next to home.