wookieshark88

Quit for 90 Days? Post here!

Feel very happy that I get to contribute to this thread.

I ticked over to 90 days today.

5 things I have learnt:

1) Dopamine can come from being productive as well. You don't need to be recreating to feel good, you can also feel great from accomplishing chores or tasks, or helping other people.

2) All these quotes about "living life" are talking about being in the moment. Put your phones down. Turn the tv off. Just enjoy being where you are and what you are doing. If you're not enjoying yourself, then move. Don't wish, do.

3) The flow state is a powerful thing. Gaming generates a flow state which is why you really feel like you're achieving something (spoiler: you're not). Exploiting the flow state is a force multiplier for development/productivity.

4) The earlier you get up, the more you can achieve in a day. Not just based purely on extra time, but forcing yourself to get up early and get on with life puts you in a great mindset for the rest of the day, and results in you living deliberately.

5) That this is only the beginning. As cheesy as that might sound (and it's a few song lyrics), 90 days only scratches the surface. We can't stop here, it's like eating an appetiser and you need to push on for the main course.

• Like 2

+1 I think I can allow myself to feel happy for a couple of minutes. The greatest achievement is, that I am less anxious, less afraid of games and even conversations about gaming. I don't get nervous when I walk past the PS screen in a store or when I notice someone on a bus playing a game that I used to enjoy. Now when someone talks about playing games I don't feel left out, angry, nervous and I don't feel like I'm missing a big part of reality or our world. I just feel like it's this "thing" that I don't want to do anymore.

I am still trying to find something meaningful, something I'm good at, (or) that I enjoy. My activities are a bit scattered at the moment but I hope I will soon find something that will stick.

• Like 3

On 11/15/2017 at 8:43 PM, Zala said:

+1 I think I can allow myself to feel happy for a couple of minutes. The greatest achievement is, that I am less anxious, less afraid of games and even conversations about gaming. I don't get nervous when I walk past the PS screen in a store or when I notice someone on a bus playing a game that I used to enjoy. Now when someone talks about playing games I don't feel left out, angry, nervous and I don't feel like I'm missing a big part of reality or our world. I just feel like it's this "thing" that I don't want to do anymore.

I am still trying to find something meaningful, something I'm good at, (or) that I enjoy. My activities are a bit scattered at the moment but I hope I will soon find something that will stick.

Go Zala!

• Like 1

Yeeee, I made it.

1. One day at a time. THIS. Win the day, focus on the day. Stay in the moment.

2. Get my out of the house.

3. Find a place you can be yourself.

4. Say everything you feel. Do not keep holding those emotions on.

5. I like books.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2017 at 9:39 PM, ChewyChickenBones said:

Yeeee, I made it.

1. One day at a time. THIS. Win the day, focus on the day. Stay in the moment.

2. Get my out of the house.

3. Find a place you can be yourself.

4. Say everything you feel. Do not keep holding those emotions on.

5. I like books.

Way to go! 

Just reached Day 90 :D

1. Bad days are part of life - there's no need for shame, just accept it and start looking for a solution

2. There's no need to overcome every problem along - if you run into a problem that you can't handle alone, ask for advice or help

3. Don't live in the past, but also don't live in the future, because then you'll never live at all --> there's always a tomorrow, so rather live right now in the moment but also think about how the now affects tomorrows now

4. Social Anxiety is a part of me, but that doesn't mean I'll have to let it control my actions

5. Mind, Body and Emotions are all equals - nothing is any less important than the other

It's such amazing timing, because next Monday I'll get my first tattoo - ivy with a peace sign, symbolizing piece with myself, piece with others, and it shall stand a reminder to believe in the best in people, being open to all cultures AND most importantly GROWTH --> chose my right lower arm for it --> in HEMA before sparring we greet each other by putting our sword in front of our face (thereby showing the arm) and then putting it to the side of the body thereby symbolizing that the fight shall be between two friendlies and with respect.

Good luck to all of you who come after me.

Edited by Philipp
  • Like 2

Ninety days and no gaming.  Today is Day 91. 

Thanks to everyone for their valuable insight and responses to some of my older posts.  I really appreciate it.  Without your help, I think I would have failed.

Here are some insights that I gathered from my journey.  I hope it helps others in the future.

1.  Daily journaling has helped me stick to my goals, even if the goals are very small.  It created a habit.  I personally like checking off the tasks I completed each day, and also to reflect on my emotions that I experienced throughout the detox.  I wrote in a private journal on Penzu for the remaining 60 days.  Usually, I'd write in the morning when I woke up, to maintain a routine and to regulate my sleep. 

2.  Sleep is so under-rated.  Sleep is invaluable.  If you can get that under control and stick to it, you will probably experience many benefits such as higher productivity, less brain fog, more energy, and general wellness overall.  I know we all have busy lives, but  'enough' sleep is essential for a foundation in well-being.  Not everyone needs eight hours, though, keep that in mind.  After quitting video games, I had to focus on my sleep regime because excessive gaming completely messed up my energy levels, concentration at work, and made me feel more depressed.

3.  I wrote a list of 50 reasons why I quit video gaming.  Every day I'd add something to the list until I reached fifty reasons.  Every now and then, when I had the urge to game, I'd re-read that list.  I admit that I had strong urges to login to an MMORPG while doing this detox.  I don't know whether it was nostalgia creeping in, or a craving for dopamine again.  Maybe it was both.  This happened at Day 65.   It was really difficult to resist the temptation.  The one thing on my list that popped out was "gaming affected my sleep patterns", thus a downward spiral.  Maybe that was my salvation. I just knew I could not afford to screw that up again because it would potentially ruin my career.

4.  I returned to indoor hobbies that I enjoyed before I was introduced to video games.  I never grew up with gaming.  I enjoyed crafting and art work, or spending time outdoors hiking and exploring.  I even owned  a small business on Etsy.  The last time I relapsed was during winter when it was difficult to go outside and leave the house.  I just wanted to stay inside where it's cozy and warm.  So, during my detox,  I knew I had to find other hobbies to do besides gaming, and I started doing my crafts again to prepare myself for the days when I'm stuck inside the house.  At least I am producing items  that I can show to people and talk about, versus talking about my achievements  in a video game.  Crafting and working with my hands gives me a genuine sense of pride and accomplishment, even though it does take longer than the immediate gratification of a video game reward. 

5.  I don't believe that video games are ultimately bad.  I think they can be used in moderation, just like any digital entertainment available at our fingertips.  But I also think that certain individuals are susceptible to the addiction of video gaming.  It's about finding balance in life and assessing what type of person you are.  If you failed over and over again with moderation, and succumbed to excessive gaming, then video games should not be part of your life at all.  For those of us who want to try moderation, I think it's about prioritizing what's important in your life, and putting video games at the bottom of the list.  Basically, become your own parent, or ask others to intervene if you start falling down a slippery slope.  I think you're also accountable to other people, not just yourself.  Ask yourself the questions, "Why am I playing video games right now?  Am I just bored?  Am I isolating myself from other people?  How can I moderate this?  Am I feeling down or depressed?  Am I getting enough sleep?  Do I really need to play this game right now, or do I have other tasks that I need to finish?  Am I procrastinating?  Basically, if you're turning to video games as a means to cope with life's problems, it may be a dangerous choice to make. 

6.  The journey is not about 'not failing'.  We are all going to stumble and fall over and over again in life.  What's important is learning from our mistakes, reflecting about our behavior patterns, and implementing small changes that will help us succeed in the long-run.  I resent that the media instills a pathetic picture about 'failure', that if we fail we are ultimately losers.  That is not true.  How many great and historical and present-day people have failed in their life time?  Think about it.  I'll bet you can list at least ten.  If you fall down, get up again and again.  That is the reality of life.  We become stronger every time we fail and get up again. 

Peace.

~ Dannigan

• Like 1

In all its shortness: I completed my 90-day detox today. What a feeling, woah!!! ?

Always happy after such "long term" accomplishments - especially with my nature which usually leads to quitting decisions that require a time span of more than one week.

Cheers!

• Like 1