NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My journal - Thomas

Phoenix

Hey @Phoenix you are awesome for two reasons:
First, you've decided to quit gaming again and live a better life!
Second, you see relapse as a vicissitudes of life, which is another obstacle in our lifes to overcome. Some people see relapse as an end of the world, instead of looking at it as a thing that happens and should be that "spark" which creates a desire for change in us. It's good that you've pointed it out!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey @Phoenix you are awesome for two reasons:
First, you've decided to quit gaming again and live a better life!
Second, you see relapse as a vicissitudes of life, which is another obstacle in our lifes to overcome. Some people see relapse as an end of the world, instead of looking at it as a thing that happens and should be that "spark" which creates a desire for change in us. It's good that you've pointed it out!

Thanks man! The reason I see it different is because I let go of trying to be perfect. People fear relapsing because they are afraid to fail. I see failing merely a way to do things differently next time. For example, I may fail a test. That is an indication I haven't learned enough: I need to learn more next time. Place the same logic in relapsing: I didn't read Respawn enough and used it techniques to avoid boredom. Although failing is not the end of the world, I prefer to prevent it either way.

Journal #3

Started off with a meditating session, installed Headspace: completed session 5. Have read Respawn completely today. Studied a bit in the bus. After school I inmediately went to study, although I did procastinate a bit. 
Later in the evening I went running, it was raining very hard in the midst of my training. Fun thing: notice when it's raining on track or a sport field how many people are hasting their way inside a building and those that continue working out. You can easily seperate the strong and weak willed ones. 
After working out I was completely wet. I thought 'I am wet and cold anyway, let's take a cold shower', so I did that. Took some fruit and here I am writing my journal.

Gratitude journal

Accessible sport area near home

Fresh fruit

Big working desk

One amazing thing that happened/I did today

Run through heavy rain

Workout/run

Done

Meditation

Yes

Study 1 hour

30-45m I think

Reading + taking notes

Read Respawn and study book

Getting to bed before 11pm

Will try

Eat enough fruit?

Banana and mandarins

What went well today:

Work, workout

What I could have done to make my day better:

Should've shut down pc whilst studying

What I will do differently tomorrow:

Avoid rushing towards bus: implement deadline of 5 minutes when I absolutely need to go.

• 1 month later...

Journal #4 - Day 1

I have relapsed for a while. Let's try this again.
Today was a productive day! I started off early by going to an appointment which was finished in 30 minutes. All went smooth and I got to experience the cold weather in the morning to feel energized. After this I went stuyding in advance for a test in two weeks. I should have studied more than I planned but due to procastinating I studied for about 30 minutes worth of time. Around 2 pm I went shopping, it took me approx. 2,5 hours and 8 shops to get 2 pieces of clothes. It was worth it though, anything better than gaming. After shopping I went running for ~40 minutes, I was quite hungry so it was tough. After dinner I relaxed - no games played -. Did play some guitar throughout the day. Later in the evening I bought some chips, I'm not very proud of that but whatever.

Gratitude journal

Free time

Clean clothes

Awesome social group

One amazing thing that happened/I did today

Not playing games

Workout/run

Done

Meditation

No

Study 1 hour

Approx 30m

Reading + taking notes

No

Getting to bed before 11pm

Yes

Eat enough fruit?

Enough mandarins

What went well today:

Filling my time with useful activities

What I could have done to make my day better:

Should've shut down pc whilst studying & not buying bad food.

What I will do differently tomorrow:

I noticed studying with pc on is bad was in my previous note as well, I should stay away from the computer next time.

Recap of the past few days:

Saturday
Worked in the morning till 12am.
Can't remember much of the afternoon, didn't spend the time very effectively as I remember. Still better than gaming.
In the evening I went to friends for a new years party. Had a good time and socialized for hours. Went home at a decent time.

Sunday
Started the day off meditating.
My plan was to go for a run, but I completely forgot I had to go to family meeting in the next hour, so I rushed my morning routine and went away.
Again socialized for hours, it was good to see my relatives again! I spent the evening watching darts, one of the best matches of all time.

Monday
Had work till the evening. Working and gaining experience > sitting at home doing nothing
After work I went for a run to come back home, took a cold shower and watched the darts finals. I should've went to bed earlier but this was one time only.

Tuesday
Again work till the evening. It's all routine from this point. Asked if I could work a day more for now, because imo free time is best spent on work. Will have to balance time though for upcoming tests. The next few days after work will be a test as well for my discipline at studying.
After work I went running on track with mates, gonna have a drink with them soon, can't wait!
Had a cold shower after all this. I feel like cold showers are ten times harder in winter than summer, it's so much different. In summer it's more like cooling down but in winter you are more likely to take a hot shower because it is cold but instead you take a cold one. It felt horrible but after that I feel like a beast.

Edited my profile picture to a pug! Love those animals 

Edited by Phoenix

I feel like cold showers are ten times harder in winter than summer, it's so much different. In summer it's more like cooling down but in winter you are more likely to take a hot shower because it is cold but instead you take a cold one. It felt horrible but after that I feel like a beast.

Go go go! Can you believe that after five years of daily cold showers I still have to push through a half-second of hesitation, even though I know I'm going to feel great afterward? It's my daily "flinch fighting" ritual with which I build mental and physical strength.

It all started from reading Julien Smith's The Flinch, which I highly recommend.

I feel like cold showers are ten times harder in winter than summer, it's so much different. In summer it's more like cooling down but in winter you are more likely to take a hot shower because it is cold but instead you take a cold one. It felt horrible but after that I feel like a beast.

Go go go! Can you believe that after five years of daily cold showers I still have to push through a half-second of hesitation, even though I know I'm going to feel great afterward? It's my daily "flinch fighting" ritual with which I build mental and physical strength.

It all started from reading Julien Smith's The Flinch, which I highly recommend.

+1 It is also free. Just Google the Flinch pdf.

Great post Tom!

• 2 weeks later...

Have relapsed some time ago but I have been off games for 1,5 weeks so far I think. It's really not that hard, as long as I occupy myself. I work as much as possible to keep me from being bored which could lead to gaming. Keeping occupied is key while quitting games. Haven't fully deleted my games/accounts yet but things are looking good right now.
I'm 100% on routine right now: work, come home and eat, go run for 1-1.5 hours, then come back and watch my serie > go to bed > repeat.

I'm a bit worried I don't get to meet many people but school will start soon so I will get to see my classmates again. I really need to be proactive in engaging new people. 

It all started from reading Julien Smith's The Flinch, which I highly recommend.

+1 It is also free. Just Google the Flinch pdf.

Thanks for the advice! I have read The Flinch a week ago when I had some free time in one sitting. While I found some points somewhat vague, the leitmotiv is that doing things that take effort and generally uncomfortable are the activities that will get you further in life. Cold showers feel great afterwards, but pushing through to do so is hard. 
Some days I take warm showers, other days cold. Ratio is about 80/20% of days during january.

Edited by Phoenix

Cold showers feel great afterwards, but pushing through to do so is hard. 
Some days I take warm showers, other days cold. Ratio is about 80/20% of days during january.

Try washing with hot water and rinsing with cold water. Works wonders and it's actually less shocking than jumping in a cold shower right away.

Have relapsed some time ago but I have been off games for 1,5 weeks so far I think. It's really not that hard, as long as I occupy myself. I work as much as possible to keep me from being bored which could lead to gaming. Keeping occupied is key while quitting games. Haven't fully deleted my games/accounts yet but things are looking good right now.
I'm 100% on routine right now: work, come home and eat, go run for 1-1.5 hours, then come back and watch my serie > go to bed > repeat.

1,5 weeks is an awesome job!

But can you do this for 1000 days?

I Recently listened to an interesting TED talk about true happiness. There was a large study done for over 70 years about people and what made them happy. More than 80% of millenials had a goal to be rich and of that group more than 50% had a goal to be famous. 
According to the study, the thing that makes people happy isn't wealth or to be famous. "Good relationships keep us happier and healthy, period."
The three lessons learned from the study are these:
1. People more socially connected are happier, physically stronger and live longer than less socially connected people. Isolation is actually toxic, those people are more likely to die earlier. 
2. It doesn´t matter how many friends you have, it´s the quality of the relationship. 
3. Good relationships also protect your brain at older age.

For the full video (12m) here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KkKuTCFvzI

There's another interesting article I've read. A real wakeup call for some people. I highly recommend this if you're in a tough spot:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/

As for me: during my days I notice I do sports way more than when I was gaming. I also developed a habit to eat yoghurt instead of drinking milk.
Have been taking cold showers for the past 4 days. 
My goal is to break my record at the upcoming race this saturday, while also staying away from candy/popcorn/bad food for this week.

1,5 weeks is an awesome job!

But can you do this for 1000 days?

1000 days wow :o
Let's just say I will go as far as possible without games and focus on the quality of each gameless day rather than focussing on the absense of games itself. Setting a small goal each time like 3 days. 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month etc. is more realistic for me at the moment. A thousand days is impressive though, but we'll see!