NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

d.manuk's journal

d.manuk

• 2 weeks later...

What are ways that I can be like a priest class video game character but in real life? They have nothing to do with religion.

ideas:

wear white and be surrounded by natural light

eat clean and healthy plant based foods

Minimalist

don't flake out on your friends and try to meet with them regularly

Read books

Keep a sketchbook - hand drawings and carefully written things - putting time into this craft (inscription)

gardening (herbalism)

gong fu tea ceremonies (alchemy/potions)

yoga (mediation/prayer)

listen to classical music

Edited by Shine Magical
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Hitaru said:

The other day my partner in crime showed me an animated TV show about three bears who did stuff like... updating their social media? It was cute tho, given your love for bears maybe you know about it? :D

No, I've never even heard about it actually. I'll check it out if you find out the name :P

It started with a podcast Cam stickied about drugs. I listened to part of it, and pretty quickly closed it after I judged it as something that didn’t have much relevance to me since I already went through a pretty heavy stage of drug usage in my late teens and got most of what I think I could get out of those substances. Drug usage is not something I look favorably on, but this is mostly because I think I’m past that stage and don’t think drugs should be a regular part of someone’s mature life but are ok as a growing tool and can be especially helpful when transitioning to adulthood. But something about the podcast triggered me when there was a comment about marijuana usage.

In mid-September, I was feeling kind of unhappy. I felt bored, I was tired of “being good,” I was lonely because my boyfriend was on a lot of business trips. This is stupid but the turning point for me was needing to do the chore of lacing the new shoes I bought. I really didn’t want to do it. It’s boring, it’s stupid, and it was going to take a lot of time to do properly the way I would want so I had been putting it off because I didn’t want to do it. I still haven’t done it properly. So on my way one night to the park to work out, with these thoughts in my head, I decided to turn back around and go home and order some weed. I turned on the computer, downloaded League and World of Warcraft and essentially conked out for 2 months. After noticing my gums had receded a bit and tired of looking like shit and having bad sleeping habits and feeling cold all the time because of the hormonal imbalances that were accumulating, I decided to stop. I went through a mild physical detox, and I kept playing videogames through to keep myself comfortable and occupied, but of course once I was sober they weren’t interesting. Games + weed are a great combo and when I previously relapsed earlier this year, it was a similar situation. I’ve since stopped playing both games and they faded out of my life quite easily because I didn’t really have a desire to play them.

To be perfectly honest, I have a history of marijuana usage problems. If I have it, I need to use it until it’s gone, and as quickly as possible. I just want it “out of my life.” But then a few days later, I often find myself deciding it wasn’t a big deal and then order it again… and the cycle repeats for a time. It has its benefits though, especially when I first come back to it. I become very introspective and think a lot. Thoughts that have been floating in my subconscious bubble up to the surface, and I often make improvements in my life as a result. This time, my relationship with my boyfriend improved as well, and I made some good decisions that I had been holding off on doing. But overall I view the experience as a net negative. Because of my lack of control, the positive aspects that could come out of it devolve into a negative. I simply like to use it too much, and because it’s not a healthy substance (unlike tea for example), it becomes a problem in multiple ways.

During the 2 months I was in this mindset, I didn’t exercise the entire time. I didn’t do a good job at work. I started to cancel some plans I had previously made with friends. I went back to square zero in some ways, but nothing permanent or damaging. Just a setback. I’ve been starting to heal and go back to normal. I’ve begun working out a bit more heavily than I did earlier in the month. My skin still really looks like shit and I had really bad breakouts the past few weeks, but it’s starting to get better. How I look really, REALLY affects how I feel about myself. I don’t feel good about myself right now. I think I will become whole and back to normal in another 2-3 weeks. It feels like the time the drug took away from me now still needs to be paid out in full in order to get my life back to the way it was.

It’s clearer than ever before that this journal isn’t really a game quitting journal, it’s more like “a journey to find things I like enough that can distract me from doing bad things that waste my time or harm my health.” Overall, I feel like I was reminded of something I had forgotten, my attitude towards marijuana and video games are the same because they are fairly interlinked: do your best to completely abstain, until you can no longer take it and give in, after which your goal should be to get on track as quickly as possible and remember to treat yourself gently throughout the process because if these are your greatest vices then you’re already in a great place.

Edited by Shine Magical
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

Naxxanar was merely a setback.

Man, I really feel your last post. 

20 hours ago, Shine Magical said:

Overall, I feel like I was reminded of something I had forgotten, my attitude towards marijuana and video games are the same because they are fairly interlinked: do your best to completely abstain, until you can no longer take it and give in, after which your goal should be to get on track as quickly as possible and remember to treat yourself gently throughout the process because if these are your greatest vices then you’re already in a great place.

Can relate. I have not found a solution to this conundrum yet but I really feel there is one and I'm getting closer. Memories play into it, nostalgia, beliefs around our core identity formed during gaming times, and then of course escapism. 

The secret, I have found, is to not take yourself so seriously. Meditation, in particular Zen for me, has proven an incredibly valuable ally. I will find myself suffering, and ruminating, and generally wallowing in my own misery, then boom. Ah, I remember. I'm spinning narratives. These are stories. These are past memories. I'm not my thoughts, I'm not my emotions, they are simply paintings on the canvas of my body. It's impermanence, it's flow. Why identify with them? Why grasp on to them? Observe and detach.

Welcome back. Whatever transpired, you are 2 months wiser.

On 11/10/2017 at 4:45 PM, Shine Magical said:

What are ways that I can be like a priest class video game character but in real life? They have nothing to do with religion.

Love this lol. Minimalism and classical music are the shit. Who is your favorite composer?

Some more ideas:

• give homeless people some food or tea then buff them with Power Word: Shield
  • do some chanting or singing in/after the shower. For real, this really opens me up and gives me a more resonating voice
  • ask random people on the street if they want to join your religion

I had another healing day today. I drew for 5 hours after work yesterday, drank a tea in a great clay teapot, had a great vegan dinner at ABCv, and gave myself a facial.

Perhaps focusing on consistently healing myself is another way I can be like a holy priest in real life. Trying to debuff the consistently recurring poisons of daily life, until I become such a high level that it’s not an issue. I just have to regulate myself to make sure this mindset doesn’t lead me towards going full shadow priest instead.

Edited by Shine Magical

On 12/1/2017 at 5:15 AM, Shine Magical said:

It’s clearer than ever before that this journal isn’t really a game quitting journal, it’s more like “a journey to find things I like enough that can distract me from doing bad things that waste my time or harm my health.” Overall, I feel like I was reminded of something I had forgotten, my attitude towards marijuana and video games are the same because they are fairly interlinked: do your best to completely abstain, until you can no longer take it and give in, after which your goal should be to get on track as quickly as possible and remember to treat yourself gently throughout the process because if these are your greatest vices then you’re already in a great place.

I am glad you're back and shared your story. Indeed be gentle with yourself, self-love is an important part of getting back on track and staying there.

• Like 1

This morning I had a maid come and clean my apartment. I gave her a list of specific things to do; the chores I hate doing the most. I was so happy when I came home after work!

I asked to receive a gift certificate to a maid service for my birthday, which is how I paid for it. :P

I pretty much finished a big project at work.

I cooked pasta for the first time in my life today! It was okay.

I also did this good yoga workout. It was the perfect difficulty level for me, I will be doing it again in the future since it did some stretches I need help on.

It was a pretty good day considering it was a weekday. ^_^

My acne seems to be beginning to clear up, so my confidence and happiness levels are much better. 

@Brad_Hurst is motivating me to do yoga much more frequently. He is so fit, doing heavy cardio exercises so often. I don’t think I have the energy for that, at least not yet, but I should be able to do my favorite exercise more frequently if he is able to do that. I used to be in much better shape, and I want to exceed my past highs.

I’m having tea now, then I will do yoga and make dinner.

• Like 2

My face is almost back to normal, I'm starting to look really good again!! My careful attention to my diet and proper care is finally paying off.

I realized I hadn't done much on Saturday night or Sunday morning. I blame the fact that my building had the heat turned up a lot so my brain got way too cozy.

So I opened the windows to let in some cold, 35'F motivation to move my ass!

Afterwards I went to a yoga class at a yoga studio in my neighborhood I've been wanting to go to for a while. It ended up being very lovely, the class was the perfect pace for me and exceeded my expectations. I feel really good now.

Then I remembered that I promised I'd be more gentle with myself. So instead of cooking a full dinner, I made a reservation for 1 person at a sushi restaurant I've been wanting to go to with boyfriend but we never got around to it. It's a late reservation, but I'm going to go and enjoy!

I feel like I just ended the weekend on a very good note, and I'm happy. I feel very taken care of, I did a good job. ^_^

Edited by Shine Magical
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been sick for the past week so I’ve been feeling very frustrated. I watched an entire series of Gotham and started watching an anime. 

I’ve been very grumpy because I ordered a lot of soup. Some of the soup had sugar added to it without my knowledge, so I had some unnecessary acne because of this. I still have a big pimple that I can do nothing about but wait. So I feel a bit unhappy. Why do Americans need to be so fat to add sugar into a vegetable soup?

When I was sick I did not paint or do any creative writing, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. I was so tired, I just wanted to consume and be distracted. I had the heat turned up to 85F. I drank a lot of tea though which was nice.

I also found a new song I like:

I mean, once I saw americans on TV putting processed sugar into macaroni, I couldn't unsee it.

Check your entry of the 11th and this last one. It's ok to let yourself go a little if you are sick (it's not ok however to "coincidentally be sick all the time" if you know what I mean!). This bad mood you're having will pass, only your actions remain. Any time is a good moment to stop for a bit, break the inertia of that frustration and take up the day again with a renewed mindset. You've been doing great, don't get discouraged! ;)

• Like 1

I feel better, physically at least.

I did a short 25min yoga session today.

I haven't been my cheerful self lately these past few months. I realized this after watching a new anime. And then I realized I haven't watched any anime in that same amount of time. I think I just need to watch more anime to maintain my happiness levels. Anime is life.

cardcaptor-sakura-clear-card-anime.png?i

• Like 1

Right in my childhood, Cardcaptor Sakura~~! Back to the time when a proper magical girl had nothing to do with being a ghetto edgy t***-tr******* les****-

Ahem.

What have you been watching lately? It's been a while since I watched anime. Last time was all the filmography of Makoto Shinkai bc all the hype from the latest movie (except Hoshi no Koe, the only one I knew prior and was actually looking forward to watch) and boy honestly felt like watching the same thing over and over. The guy basically had the same story to tell, some girl in high-school must have gave him a very bad time and he refined those angsty feels for years until bam, best-selling Japanese animation movie ever. Perseverance is key. (Jokes aside, goddamn determination, the guy did most of his films by himself, we should interview him). 

19 hours ago, Hitaru said:

Right in my childhood, Cardcaptor Sakura~~! Back to the time when a proper magical girl had nothing to do with being a ghetto edgy t***-tr******* les****-

Ahem.

What have you been watching lately? It's been a while since I watched anime. Last time was all the filmography of Makoto Shinkai bc all the hype from the latest movie (except Hoshi no Koe, the only one I knew prior and was actually looking forward to watch) and boy honestly felt like watching the same thing over and over. The guy basically had the same story to tell, some girl in high-school must have gave him a very bad time and he refined those angsty feels for years until bam, best-selling Japanese animation movie ever. Perseverance is key. (Jokes aside, goddamn determination, the guy did most of his films by himself, we should interview him). 

I liked the Garden of Words but I thought Your Name was boring.

I have been watching Ao No Exorcist most recently, which is a typical and predictable shonen anime but there's nothing wrong with that.

The newest Cardcaptor Sakura series starts airing in 2 weeks. ^_^

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shine Magical said:

I liked the Garden of Words

The premise was fine but the resolution was oh-so-melodramatic (Have you ever seen Japanese or Korean TV serial dramas? My God.). And Your Name... Uh. It was good (enjoyable) but it had so, so, so many possibilities. If I didn't know, I would have said it was the adaptation of a VN à la Clannad (which btw makes me cry like a little b*tch). 

Shonen meh, had my phase, may watch some in an unspecified future. I like silly, short-ish and slightly frisky shoujos. Shameful but true. And lolis in historical backgrounds (?) 

Sorry for spamming your journal lol. More discussion by PM if you want. Or maybe open a forum thread? We're not the only anime fans out there.

Hope you're having a great day! 

pizza_face_sticker-rcdca89fe24494de48e91

My self esteem is quite low at the moment. My acne is a little better, but it still looks bad. I am confused and getting desperate about what I can do.

I need to find a way to be less stressed at work, and also I am going to start tricking myself into being in a good mood by only listening to calming and happy music. I like to listen to metal music but it always puts me in a bad mood. Music can affect how you feel a lot which then might affect your hormones. I think I had a stressful week last week.

I'm hanging out with my friend on Saturday and we can only hang out a few times a year... I'd hate to show up looking ugly and with acne redness. It makes me feel not want to go outside and not to talk to anyone, and it adds even more to the stress. Ahhh!

3.thumb.PNG.d4757edbda70b7f2d3e3bb5c534accfb.PNG

Edited by Shine Magical
  • Like 2