NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

d.manuk's journal

d.manuk

Nice journal! Congrats on the large number of days. 

Personally ive stopped using a laptop and I've been using an app called Quality Time for my phone and found the app helpful so maybe it would be helpful for you too. Good luck on ur exam!

Question to think about: Why am I watching  tv shows? Did I simply forget my goals? Did I mentally shelve my goals because I'm in such an intense mental state with studying and it helps me cope? What would life be like without a laptop and how would I be able to handle not watching anime?

Maybe you are pushing yourself too hard? Gaming might have been the stress vent and now that you quit, you seek a replacement?

I had a similar experience actually as I found myself binge-watching series like Dangerous Grounds (a dude hunting elusive coffee blends all over the globe - how random is that?^^). Concerning work, I tried to become a workaholic over the course of three months, sipping coffee like a madman, working 12-14 hours a day during the week. Grades improved significantly, however I had a backlash phase where I could not motivate myself to do anything. Long story short, academic performance during the recharge was lousy.

If there is a series or good anime you want to watch, maybe you can use this as a reward? If you finished your study session, you could watch one episode. In order to see the next one, you need to finish your next session. Take a break and revise a lot two days before the exam to refresh your memory and finally, reward yourself with several episodes after you wrote the exam. I read that the human brain is more productive if we have a reward within reach. Just a thought

• 2 weeks later...

Life is suddenly very empty. I have so much catching up to do (have a long list of stuff I had put off while I was studying) -- and yet, I feel like I have nothing to do.

Now that I don't have to study every minute of the day and don't have that structure, I feel a bit aimless.

I have a lot that I want to start working on, but have not yet. While I have borrowed a bunch of books from the library, I do not have the urge to read them. I just want easy entertainment. I am aware that I am now gravitating towards TV shows and internet usage to fill this void. Though I have quit gaming, the core issue is still the same. But at least I have better self control with these other vices.

I think I will treat myself and get used to the new pace of my life before I start cracking down on myself to do stuff, because I deserve a break after what I went through to pass this test.

Edited by Shine Magical

Nice work with the test!

I just want easy entertainment. I am aware that I am now gravitating towards TV shows and internet usage to fill this void. Though I have quit gaming, the core issue is still the same.

I think that core issue is pretty universal in the human species. :)

I have been resting a lot for the past week and getting accustomed to living a regular life again now that I don't have to study. Honestly, it feels weird and everything is a little alien to me. I feel out of place and like I have aged a lot.

So far I have caught up on: work, laundry, reading webtoons, TV shows, grocery shopping, hygiene, 2x salad per day routine.

I have started: cleaning apartment, reading books, cooking, light exercise, rekindling social life, adding to music library.

There is a lot more coming up for me that I need and want to do, but I am trying to pace things out to prevent being overwhelmed. I hope I can heal and become my previous self soon.

Song of the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CTYymbbEL4

Today I slept 12 hours and called in sick to work.

I watched an anime movie that made me think -- it was about a person that had killed themselves but was given a chance to come back to life and live again.

In some ways it could be related to quitting video games, but I think I related to it deeper than that and more on how I should try to live life more fully and openly. This was something I had started working on but put on pause because of my test.

After I finished the movie, I started getting upset that I was using the computer because I have a stack of fresh books available to read 10 feet away. That I still don't really have close friends -- I have been getting closer to people at work, but that is not the same... etc. At one point I briefly looked at mmorpg.com to see what types of MMOs are popular nowadays, but quickly lost interest and closed it.

I think the movie stirred up some negative emotions and these other thoughts flooded through as well.

I have been estranged from my parents for 2 years now. We have not talked, and I have no desire to see either of them. I feel bad for my mom, because I know that she is sad about the situation, but I also know that it is the best for me. But even still, the situation also makes me sad. But I am still firm in my decision that I do not want any contact with them.

Today is day 206 and is a bit of down day.

Edit: I've decided to try to put my laptop in the closet and see how life is without it.

Edited by Shine Magical

"Keeping a journal makes life fruitful. The daily appointment with the blank page forces one to pay better attention to the doings of the day -- to listen harder, to think more clearly, to see more intently. It would be grim to have nothing to inscribe in one's notebook in the evening."

From "The Consolations of the Forest," a book I have been reading. I started to look up words in the dictionary when I come across them as I read, instead of trying to infer what they mean or skip over them. I would like to have a more sophisticated vocabulary.

I feel better today.

Things are going pretty well with having my laptop in my closet. Although I do sit down and watch a TV show occasionally or browse reddit on my phone, I think I am more mindful about my internet usage than if my laptop were readily available with 24/7 access.

First thing I did when I got home yesterday from work was grab the yoga mat and read a book. It was instinctive, which I really liked. Normally I would have just grabbed my laptop and rested for 40 mins while browsing the internet.

I also got promoted at work. Though my base salary is still not near what I want, I am getting closer and am now in a good bargaining position.

I checked the League of Legends website today. Looks like there is a new support champ and he looks cool, so I wish I could play.

I shouldn't have looked! -_-

Oh no. This might've triggered me a bit. A powerful reminder why I keep the site blocked ^^

I am going to start taking Muay Thai classes in September, and I will try it out for at least 1 month.

In order to achieve that goal, I will start working out regularly now that I am done with my test. I have 2 wrist injuries from falling while I was rollerblading last month, but I can still do something light while they finish healing.

For the next month, I will focus solely on yoga and stretching. Afterwards, I will go with whatever I feel whether it is strength training or swimming and more yoga. Maybe some dance classes too. This will all help me train for September so that I can start from a good baseline.

I want to be prepared for the next time someone attacks me, even though I don't really want to fight.

--

I got a massage today. I went out to eat dinner with my bf yesterday and I finished reading a book.

I still feel like something is missing in my life though, to fulfill me in a way that video games does. Is it the social aspect?

Without realizing it, I have made 2 tea friends that I have been meeting to have tea. Slowly, I am acquiring more friends! Through an initial conscious effort 3 months ago, the friendships have unfolded unconsciously to me into meetings that I look forward to and wish they happened more frequently.

Edited by Shine Magical

Without realizing it, I have made 2 tea friends that I have been meeting to have tea. Slowly, I am acquiring more friends! Through an initial conscious effort 3 months ago, the friendships have unfolded unconsciously to me into meetings that I look forward to and wish they happened more frequently.

That's awesome!

Ever since I checked the League of Legends website, I have been thinking about playing.

!!

:(

I'm essentially going through a second detox, now that my life is not consumed with studying. I no longer have an excuse to keep me from not gaming.

I feel a bit stuck and lazy. I think I will stay up late tonight drinking tea and have a little party to cheer myself up.

Hopefully I am just at one of the down points in this:

stock%20graph%20rising.gif

Edited by Shine Magical

I feel like I am spiraling closer to a relapse.

Friday, I went to the park twice, did 1 hour of yoga, and got Japanese BBQ for dinner. Friday was a good day because it was sunny and there weren't many people outside because it was still a weekday.

Saturday, I did some more yoga for hamstrings, I went around looking for furniture with bf, watched the movie Your Name, bought a notebook, and went grocery shopping. There were a lot of people everywhere.

Sunday, I went hiking with bf which burned over 2k calories, and ate Argentinian steak. Even when hiking, there were a ton of people because the train does not come often, so when people got off at the stop there were like 50 people hiking at once and it was impossible to get rid of them and hike privately.

I'm going to be honest -- I did not feel like I had a lot of fun. I feel like I was mildly amused -- but that's it, and that seems to be a shame because I think doing these activities should have prompted more happy feelings inside of me.

I think I am very tired of being surrounded by tons of people. I get irritated and angry at them, I don't want to be so close to them. I am starting to get fed up with living in NYC.

This type of feeling is what first drove me to play video games, because I was in very close proximity of my parents and I hated them -- so I played video games. Now, I feel like I am experiencing the same thing, except now it is when I go outside.

I am not sure what to do! :(

Right after I vented in my journal entry yesterday, I felt better.

I analyzed the issue and I think part of why I was upset was not only because there were a lot of people around me on my day off, but because I felt like I was “falling behind” in personal deadlines and chores I set for myself. And so my feeling of being overwhelmed was amplified. I was also likely in a "low" of what seem to be recurring mood swings between happy and sad.

I have been using an app to set deadlines for personal tasks, chores, and projects, and I have been falling behind on a lot of them and they have been accumulating more and more. I hadn’t been taking into account everyday tasks I have to do that take up a good amount of time in my day, like preparing salads and cutting nails. I will try to do a better job spacing out one-off personal deadlines for myself because it is not feasible for me to do 3 in one night (even though I would like to, and would be able to achieve that in a video game).

Today, I posted some things to sell on eBay and cut my nails, did yoga, prepared salad ingredients, prepared teas for a meetup my friends are having, bought new work shoes, learned and practiced how to shine shoes, and updated my resume!! *exhausted*

Yesterday, I did laundry, cleaned, and took a new professional LinkedIn picture of myself when I got home from work.

I posted it on Facebook and people seemed to like it, which made me feel good. So here it is:

[Mod Note: There was a picture of a lovely fella here, but he asked for such picture to be removed. Ah, leave it to me, the shy ones! - @Hitaru]

Edited by Hitaru
By request of author

I am going to start taking Muay Thai classes in September, and I will try it out for at least 1 month.

I still feel like something is missing in my life though, to fulfill me in a way that video games does. Is it the social aspect?

Never heard of muay thai so I googled it. Found out there are about 4 clubs in a neighbouring town! Sick! I have been thinking about martial arts actually. This looks like my sort of thing- nice.

Perhaps it's the teamwork element. Or perhaps it's the sense of being a creator. I loved making builds and characters and trying them out. Perhaps you want to do something more creative?

I am resurrecting my 30 day yoga challenge.

I will be doing one of these videos every day: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsB8Dk1Orvu26oiTWOZ283a-iYfiojYAB

My boyfriend and I decided to play Rayman Legends together, co-op on the PS4. I don't consider this as the kind of gaming I am trying to stay away from -- this activity has a purpose and I will only be doing it together with him.

Overall, I still feel like I have a lot of chroes to do in my personal life. Suddenly at the start of this week, I have felt an onslaught of obligation to keep checking things off my to do list. However, the more I check off, the more I come up with things to do. A lot of it has to do with purchasing clothes (mainly for work). I had been holding off on upgrading the less important parts of my wardrobe, but now that I got promoted I feel like I should be very well dressed. And it's a lot of work to look fancy!! >_<

Today is day 225.

Start date: 9/6/2016

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

I held myself accountable today and even though I pressed snooze on my alarm this morning, I did yoga before I went to bed at night so I would not miss out on the challenge. It's only 20 minutes, I can definitely do it every day!!

I played Rayman with my boyfriend and it was a new way for us to spend time together, which was good. After an hour of playing, I was starting to get bored and my eyes were getting tired, so I said that we should stop playing after we beat a level. It was a good feeling that I initiated the end of the gaming session, and made me feel less addicted to gaming. However, I will make sure to monitor my urges so that casual gaming with boyfriend does not translate to online gaming, or gaming alone. I think we will only play every few days or so anyway in order to make sure the experience stays fun.

I cleaned my desk at work today and made progress on my my purchasing clothes for work goal. I also listened to happy music in the morning to help start the day off right.

Looking forward to tomorrow!