NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Hey

KrazyFace was my gamertag when I created my first xbox live account in 2006. Since then I have used that name for every gaming account I have ever created. I am using that name here on the chance I relapse and start gaming again. My hopes are when I go to login and type this name it will force me to think about this website and hopefully prevent me from continuing. I was 16 then and this is where my gaming addiction really took off, except at the time there was no such thing, I was just hanging out with friends. I played games long before that too and as a result missed out on a lot. I never participated in sports in high school and often times feel my social skills are underdeveloped. I have played many types of games, primarily MOBAs, MMORPGs, and FPS. I quit playing video games once before and sold my xbox and uninstalled all my computer games. It was in late 2015 that I started playing mobile games on my smartphone and tablet thinking they would be harmless but I was wrong. I found that I was playing those games just as much and now realize I cannot play any type of video game without risk. I decided to take to the internet and search for help and found this website. I feel confident with this help I can quit for good.

Welcome! :) Good job on taking the step of deciding to quit games. You'll find lots of helpful information and people here and make sure you start up a journal as this helps a lot.

All the best buddy.

Welcome!  This is a great group of people and will help on your journey.  Most of us have more than one attempt before we are completely successful with quitting.  It is all part of the quitting process.  Learn where you are going to have trouble, then make a plan and try again.  Think of them as practice runs.  The vids by Cam are great and a lot of people have committed to the 90 detox successfully.  I spent a few hours just randomly going from vid to vid before I committed but it really gave me the impetus I needed.  The 90 day detox is a great way to learn how amazing life and you are without games front and center.

Thanks for the support guys! I did something similar where I started reading articles about this a week ago after a few late nights of gaming. I decided i could play for a little while longer before im ready to quit (compromise) but after a few more nights i had enough of that self loathing feeling to uninstall all my games at 1am. The next day i started posting on the subreddit (Im MedicFord over there) and today im here!

Im excited about the future with all this, but to be honest i feel so tired and disinterested to pick up other hobbies. Any ideas how to overcome this or does it just go away over time?

What kind of journalling do you do that helps? 

My 2 cents - I was tired and could not do the hobbies in the beginning weeks.  I joined this site about 3 weeks into quitting because that was where I had always derailed before.  This was my different way attempt and its working so far.  I have journal-ed privately for some deep seated stuff and started a gaming one to get to the roots of the addiction and get it out completely more recently.  I have discovered though I am quite happily not gaming, I have some hidden areas I'm not letting go of atm.  Not a problem just a process.  As I read and learn, I journal it. The emotions evoked and the thought patterns.  I tried to just learn and not judge myself.  It was information so I could choose what I wanted or needed to fix or know.

I was tired at the beginning - frankly I needed to sleep. So, I listened to my body and slept.  I don't know about you but I gamed long hours into the night and worked on no real sleep and then did it again.  We have to be impressed with our stamina!  My goal was to take care of me so I had what I needed to be successful, eat, hygiene, sleep.

Your disinterest I would think is because you are in withdrawal from game stimulation.  I went through it too.  I could not read or exercise or anything, but knowing I had to be busy, I used that time to learn about my problem, what to expect, how others coped and that worked for a few weeks.

From Cam's vids - 7 things to Expect after you quit gaming -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDpRDvFvImw

**What If you Find Other Activities to be boring - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4q649mZfr0 The is the physical why of what is happening and moved me into the detox component, so I was in control of my own brain again.

OMG, I have 750 wow pets, thousands of achievements, things you cant get anymore, Rank such and such on FPS leader boards or LOL, all these games on steam - how can I let it go?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5jnmwt5Q9w  How the Sunk Cost Fallacy keeps you playing games.  This really applies to a lot of life areas IMO.

I also did not know what I even wanted to do from the hobby list that Cam has or the list the world has- what the hell interested me and I used my learning time to figuring that out also.

You are so on the right track and I look forward to your posts!

My 2 cents - I was tired and could not do the hobbies in the beginning weeks.  I joined this site about 3 weeks into quitting because that was where I had always derailed before.  This was my different way attempt and its working so far.  I have journal-ed privately for some deep seated stuff and started a gaming one to get to the roots of the addiction and get it out completely more recently.  I have discovered though I am quite happily not gaming, I have some hidden areas I'm not letting go of atm.  Not a problem just a process.  As I read and learn, I journal it. The emotions evoked and the thought patterns.  I tried to just learn and not judge myself.  It was information so I could choose what I wanted or needed to fix or know.

I was tired at the beginning - frankly I needed to sleep. So, I listened to my body and slept.  I don't know about you but I gamed long hours into the night and worked on no real sleep and then did it again.  We have to be impressed with our stamina!  My goal was to take care of me so I had what I needed to be successful, eat, hygiene, sleep.

Your disinterest I would think is because you are in withdrawal from game stimulation.  I went through it too.  I could not read or exercise or anything, but knowing I had to be busy, I used that time to learn about my problem, what to expect, how others coped and that worked for a few weeks.

From Cam's vids - 7 things to Expect after you quit gaming -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDpRDvFvImw

**What If you Find Other Activities to be boring - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4q649mZfr0 The is the physical why of what is happening and moved me into the detox component, so I was in control of my own brain again.

OMG, I have 750 wow pets, thousands of achievements, things you cant get anymore, Rank such and such on FPS leader boards or LOL, all these games on steam - how can I let it go?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5jnmwt5Q9w  How the Sunk Cost Fallacy keeps you playing games.  This really applies to a lot of life areas IMO.

I also did not know what I even wanted to do from the hobby list that Cam has or the list the world has- what the hell interested me and I used my learning time to figuring that out also.

You are so on the right track and I look forward to your posts!

Great post!

Wow thank you Kad! Thats exactly how i feel. Right now the only thing i seem to be motivated in is reading posts from other ex gamers and related articles. I fortunately have a lot of hobbies i used to like but i guess the withdrawal makes them seem boring. I think ill try to pick up some OT at work and on my next day off just force myself to play guitar for 10 minutes or something. Trying to get on a regular sleep schedule is a good goal too. Thanks again man!

Edited by KrazyFace

Welcome to the forum!

The two first weeks can be pretty hard with the withdrawal. Mood swings, lethargy and even headaches are things i read in other journals about. I had some pretty massive moodswings at start. Always remember that it takes some time to rewire you brain in away that it won't need this instanious gratification any more. It will be maybe hard to focus at something different then games first. But this will become better over time.

My personal most important habit, at the start was to keep my daily journal up and read a ton of others people journals. To write regulary and note the gamefree days, gives you a feeling of accomplishment and accountability. Without it I would surely have relapsed. Also the selfreflection works just better if I write something down.

If you have any other questions don't be shy to ask. Most off us have made similar experiences and we are glad to help our fellow gamequitters.

best regards

Mario

Edited by WorkInProgress