NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Things aren't going well.

Jimyree Martin

I'm on day 63 and I haven't done  nothing productive. I've been watching YouTube videos and trying my best, to not watch gaming streams. I'm thinking about relapsing, because I'm not doing anything at all. I tried finding new activitys, but it's not working out for me. I don't think I should have started the detox, because I don't even feel like quitting. Even though, I need to quit, this addiction is very strong. Also, I already know what will happen if I relapsed, I'm gonna be on 10+ hours everyday, I just don't know what to do at all.

Hey man. You're going to get through this! Day 63 is awesome progress. Even if you're not doing anything "productive" you must still be healthier mentally from not playing 10 hours of games every day.

This can be a serious addiction and it takes time to move past it. It's normal to struggle with finding replacement activities. What have you tried? How long did you stick with them? Why did you stop or what didn't you like about them?

Have you taken a look at Respawn? It might give you a bit more structure to approach the problem with if you're struggling.

Well I've tried Spanish, but I don't think I like it like that,I also tried origami and magic tricks.Those are ok, but it seems that I can't stay consistent with them and I don't know what other activities to try on the 60+ hobbies list. I don't know which one to choose and I'm sorta not interested in most of them.

Well I've tried Spanish, but I don't think I like it like that,I also tried origami and magic tricks.Those are ok, but it seems that I can't stay consistent with them and I don't know what other activities to try on the 60+ hobbies list. I don't know which one to choose and I'm sorta not interested in most of them.

Okay, that's fine. Maybe you're not interested in language or crafts; neither am I really. What about a physical hobby? Or do you exercise regularly?

One other approach might be to think about what would be a challenge for you. Challenge yourself to do something you're not quite you can accomplish. For example, when I quit gaming I decided to run a 5k. I was unsure if I would succeed. I had never done that before, but it motivated me to get in shape and run and ended up being a great experience.

Try Learning Programming Language since I am assuming you still use your pc quite often, this skill would be useful. You can even try to open a business with it. (ps don't give up we know how hard it is to resist the urge but keep trying its worth it) :)

Edited by Phen0m

Hi Jimyree, I've almost completed Day 16. I'm going to have a bit of a rant here...

Firstly, I'm massively impressed that you're up to Day 63 of your challenge, particularly whilst you're not experiencing the benefits of the detox! That says massive things about your commitment to this. I am here to encourage you with all the words I can muster to not give up on the 90-day challenge. 

I can't say for you, but I can speak from what I have experienced. I grew up playing sports and learning music, and with 3 siblings and a lot of friends doing similar things I always wanted to be the best. I am very lucky in that I have always been a high achiever in whatever I do.

I have been playing games since I was 5. I enjoyed games like Dota because I really enjoy learning, improving and most importantly, beating other people in fierce competition. A competition where you have nothing to blame for your loss (or average skill level) except yourself - the game will act exactly as the rules describe, every single time. Dota, like most other games, is one that you can play for hours on end without becoming bored or tired, and the challenges to accomplish and people to beat only grow stronger as you improve. The lack of bounds on my play time ultimately sapped the energy I used to devote to other activities that I also enjoyed, including my sports and my relationships with other people (most notably my family).

Over the period of 2 years I got pretty damn good at it, but what do I have to show for it now? Nothing. My family and most friends I have in real life cannot relate at all. I was essentially living a double life of going to class with my friends, and going home as quickly as possible to play games for as long as possible with people I have and will never meet in real life. My real-life friends do not know what I do with all my spare time, and the people playing the game with me don't care about what I do in real life. 

After quitting gaming, I have used the surplus competitive energy in me to get fit. I had started training before I began this challenge, but I recently ran a half-marathon in a time that exceeded my expectations, and I'm super excited to train for a marathon in 4 months time. It is now the past-time that I devote most of my time to. The constraint is that I'm training so much that I'm almost injuring myself! It is something that my friends and family are interested in. Literally just then (while I am writing this post), a colleague at work walked past me and congratulated me on my time! It feels fantastic :D 

I have much more energy available for my family and friends, who I had very much taken for granted. I enjoy work much more as I am not sleep-deprived and constantly thinking about gaming. 

Have a sit down try to figure out why you like the games that you play.

In many ways, life is a game. If you wish, you can spend your time learning, improving and beating other people in fierce competition. The challenges you can accomplish not only grow harder as you improve, but they are also limitless! You can play it however you like. Life is arguably unfair in some ways, but it is also fair in that everyone gets the same amount of time each day. 

Remember why you started this challenge in the first place. Whilst I enjoyed gaming more than anything and I didn't feel like quitting, I was unsatisfied with the state of my life. I wasn't happy with my parents being disappointed in me every night I ran upstairs to stare at a screen doing something that my friends and family cannot appreciate. 

Even though you're well ahead of me in the detox, I have felt a huge benefit even after quitting for only 16 days that I felt the urge to share. If someone told me to fill the massive void of time with learning magic tricks, origami and learning Spanish, I would have relapsed immediately. You just need to get off youtube and try to find new activities that fill the need that gaming used to fill in your life.

I personally recommend you exercise, be it running, swimming, riding, playing team sports or anything else, but it really depends on you. If watching youtube all day, learning spanish, doing origami and learning magic isn't satisfying you, then keep trying other things. I wouldn't have much fun doing them either. Once you find things you like doing, being consistent shouldn't be a conscious problem :) You just need to keep looking and pushing your boundaries if necessary.

Don't hesitate to post again if you're having trouble. 

I'm writing this post with a smile spread across my face. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck

Hi Jimyree, I've almost completed Day 16. I'm going to have a bit of a rant here...

Firstly, I'm massively impressed that you're up to Day 63 of your challenge, particularly whilst you're not experiencing the benefits of the detox! That says massive things about your commitment to this. I am here to encourage you with all the words I can muster to not give up on the 90-day challenge. 

I can't say for you, but I can speak from what I have experienced. I grew up playing sports and learning music, and with 3 siblings and a lot of friends doing similar things I always wanted to be the best. I am very lucky in that I have always been a high achiever in whatever I do.

I have been playing games since I was 5. I enjoyed games like Dota because I really enjoy learning, improving and most importantly, beating other people in fierce competition. A competition where you have nothing to blame for your loss (or average skill level) except yourself - the game will act exactly as the rules describe, every single time. Dota, like most other games, is one that you can play for hours on end without becoming bored or tired, and the challenges to accomplish and people to beat only grow stronger as you improve. The lack of bounds on my play time ultimately sapped the energy I used to devote to other activities that I also enjoyed, including my sports and my relationships with other people (most notably my family).

Over the period of 2 years I got pretty damn good at it, but what do I have to show for it now? Nothing. My family and most friends I have in real life cannot relate at all. I was essentially living a double life of going to class with my friends, and going home as quickly as possible to play games for as long as possible with people I have and will never meet in real life. My real-life friends do not know what I do with all my spare time, and the people playing the game with me don't care about what I do in real life. 

After quitting gaming, I have used the surplus competitive energy in me to get fit. I had started training before I began this challenge, but I recently ran a half-marathon in a time that exceeded my expectations, and I'm super excited to train for a marathon in 4 months time. It is now the past-time that I devote most of my time to. The constraint is that I'm training so much that I'm almost injuring myself! It is something that my friends and family are interested in. Literally just then (while I am writing this post), a colleague at work walked past me and congratulated me on my time! It feels fantastic :D 

I have much more energy available for my family and friends, who I had very much taken for granted. I enjoy work much more as I am not sleep-deprived and constantly thinking about gaming. 

Have a sit down try to figure out why you like the games that you play.

In many ways, life is a game. If you wish, you can spend your time learning, improving and beating other people in fierce competition. The challenges you can accomplish not only grow harder as you improve, but they are also limitless! You can play it however you like. Life is arguably unfair in some ways, but it is also fair in that everyone gets the same amount of time each day. 

Remember why you started this challenge in the first place. Whilst I enjoyed gaming more than anything and I didn't feel like quitting, I was unsatisfied with the state of my life. I wasn't happy with my parents being disappointed in me every night I ran upstairs to stare at a screen doing something that my friends and family cannot appreciate. 

Even though you're well ahead of me in the detox, I have felt a huge benefit even after quitting for only 16 days that I felt the urge to share. If someone told me to fill the massive void of time with learning magic tricks, origami and learning Spanish, I would have relapsed immediately. You just need to get off youtube and try to find new activities that fill the need that gaming used to fill in your life.

I personally recommend you exercise, be it running, swimming, riding, playing team sports or anything else, but it really depends on you. If watching youtube all day, learning spanish, doing origami and learning magic isn't satisfying you, then keep trying other things. I wouldn't have much fun doing them either. Once you find things you like doing, being consistent shouldn't be a conscious problem :) You just need to keep looking and pushing your boundaries if necessary.

Don't hesitate to post again if you're having trouble. 

I'm writing this post with a smile spread across my face. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck

Epic post.

Thanks for the post Jeremias, it really opened my eyes. I'm gonna exercise and give some activities a try today. It's time for me to finally move on from gaming and start the next chapter in my life. I'm sick of procrastinating and feeling depressed everyday. I just wished I would've realized this sooner, because I wasted sooooo many days. 

Edited by Jimyree Martin

Thanks for the post Jeremias, it really opened my eyes. I'm gonna exercise and give some activities a try today. It's time for me to finally move on from gaming and start the next chapter in my life. I'm sick of procrastinating and feeling depressed everyday. I just wished I would've realized this sooner, because I wasted sooooo many days. 

Proud of you!