NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

dailyjournalforworldpeace!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's challenge was to have a conversation with a homeless person to develop empathy.  I live on a small island and homelessness isn't really a 'visible' problem -  very rarely do you see homeless people sitting on the streets like you might in a city. Nevertheless as I was walking through town, I saw a man who I thought might be homeless.  He was sitting in a little cove on his own... so I went up to him and said hey, how are you..... he was surprised and said, hello yeah fine. So I asked him "are you homeless".... only joking :D  I said "are you waiting for someone?" and he said a sarcastic "yes..." like it was obvious LOL. it became clear he wasn't homeless.... so then for some reason I just stood there for about 20 seconds not knowing what to say or do. So then I said "ok, bye" hahaha.... he seemed kind of annoyed and said  "bye bye" accordingly. Another awkward encounter achieved! xD  

I haven't really completed today's mission but I don't know what I can do, it's so rare to see a homeless person in the street here.

Apart from that awkward encounter, I actually feel that today was my best day yet in terms of practicing social skills!!! I can feel my confidence growing.  -------->

1. I had a conversation with the health food shop cashier and we laughed and it was good.  
  2. Next I wanted to invite this guitarist guy I had only met once before to my party, so I went into the shop I knew he worked at and started talking to him. He remembered me from last year.  I got to know a lot about his music he makes and the band he's in. So then I invited him to my party, but he couldn't come because he was away. Then I gave him a keyring harmonica as a present which he loved :D BUT I forgot to introduce myself by name! oh well. Definite new friend potential there!!
  3. Then I saw an old friend and we had a really long chat, and I laughed a lot telling him about my "homeless" man story lol.
  4. A few other conversations during the day which went really well!

0db9c5b7af.png

Bit of a messy day today, although it started well doing some volunteering in the morning in the afternoon I binged on the internet and started to feel really lousy.  Was also disappointed because I just cancelled tomorrow's 'poker party' commitment because I only got 1 and a half yes's from people… I didn't feel that would be very fun for a poker game or other board games. 

I don't know if cancelling was the right thing to do or not, it maybe could have worked….  I guess I was afraid they would find it boring and it might feel awkward just 2 or 3 people lol. Maybe a dinner party would be better because then there isn't really a lower limit to the number of people needed?  Also maybe I need to meet and talk to more people because ultimately I couldn't think of many people to invite….  I invited 6 people, 2 of whom I barely know.   Anyway, the two who wanted to come both said that's a shame (that I cancelled)… I was touched by that, it seems like they really wanted to come.

I almost didn't do today's mission (do 5 intentional acts of kindness), but after writing the above I decided to go out in the evening and do something at least.  I went out on my bike and filled up a plastic bag with litter.  Then I made a donation to a homeless charity online.  In the morning I did conservation volunteering so maybe that counts…    I sent someone some positive feedback on a bunch of songs they wrote. And…. *looks through list of 101 random acts of kindness ideas* Well, email a friend just to say goodnight lol. Think I'll try this challenge again tomorrow, I think I could do better :)

A few days ago I asked this cashier guy what his favourite animal was. He said it was a lion.  So today I went in there again and gave him a present… a painting of a lion I made for him! I wrapped it so I didn't see his reaction to the painting but it was fun giving it to him. I felt great afterwards.  Maybe I'll ask more people...

Yesterday's challenge was to do 5 acts of kindness --  took family member to airport at 5.30am,  gave each member of choir a flower, did whatever my sibling wanted to do for an hour, bought them a gift, did some house chores.

Today's challenge was to volunteer for a soup kitchen. Where I live the only soup kitchen is an one-off event that happens once a year. So instead, I uploaded my details into a local 'available volunteers' database.  I said that I'm willing to work in any charity sector and wanted to develop empathy and gain a greater perspective.   I'll wait and see what comes up!!!

Wow! The lion painting sounds amazing. Also, great job being flexible and FINDING A SOLUTION to the lack of soup kitchen. That's what I'm talking about!

Yeah man, exactly!!   If only I had been in this mindset before I cancelled the poker party. Ah well, live and learn! Can't wait to arrange the next party!

You learned the lesson you needed to learn, so canceling the party was a gift in your life :)

Today I talked to this guy I often see just sitting on benches around town. He's always dressed kind of scruffy, doesn't look like he has a lot of money??? Anyway I had a good chat with him, about his family, where he's from etc, and remembered to introduce myself 217662-Thumbs-Up-color-png.png   Today I also started the 'No Complaints for 21 days' challenge. Excited for this !!!!!

2 days ago the challenge was to spend quality time with the family, organise something or do something special for each member. Tonight I've booked a restaurant for a family meal, also plan on taking my sibling swimming. I would love to know which 1 of the http://www.5lovelanguages.com they are, I thought it might be 'quality time' but it wouldn't surprise me if it's something else.

human-values-for-all-1l3cu7x.gif

Yesterday the challenge was to find out my values.  From a big list I managed towhittle it down to a top 10  for what I feelthey are at the moment

1. Creativity

2. Delight of being, joy

3. Global view

4. Personal growth

5. Fun

6. Meaning

7. Individuality

8. Concern for others

9. Beauty

10. Humility

Edited by usernameforworldpeace!

:)

So a few days back for my 'go to new events & meet new people' challenge,  I asked the local Islam group if I could come along. They said yes and today was the day I got to go and observe them praying. I had no idea what to expect…. There are no mosques here so they have to rent out this small room in an office building at the top of a whole bunch of stairs.  Well it was really interesting, they didn't seem to mind me just sitting at the side looking at them... They were all very friendly, a few came to talk to me afterwards. 

Today's challenge was to volunteer to spend an hour with a senior at a retirement home. Funnily enough I was at a retirement home today because I was playing old songs for them for a sing-a-long!!! But I was too embarrassed to ask them then so when I got home I rang them up again lol to volunteer an hour for one person. They said to ring back monday when the care manager is there.

1. OK it's the last challenge, to travel to somewhere amazing!!!   Thinking of where I might like to go someday…….. Always liked the idea of Indonesia, but researching tonight I'm being drawn towards Madagascar because of all the unique wildlife there... rainforests…. and whale watching!        I read that Madagascar has loads of trails perfect for rambling thru nature ++that's 1 of my fave activities!!

I have loads of challenges I'm halfway through at the mo so I've got to keep working on them all----

• host a dinner party
  • go to new events, meet new people
  • volunteer (soup kitchen / equivalent)
  • 1-to-1 with senior @ a home
  • have an epic experience
  • travel somewhere magical
  • no complaints for 21 days
  • facing my fears

1. I've been doing the no complaint challenge for over a week now -- I even got to day 2 once! :D  I find I get caught out in the mornings when I'm waking up, talking to myself. Also when talking to other people, although I'm good at not voicing complaints I tend to go along and agree with theirs!
  • Yesterday had a meeting with the retirement home
  • and got an application form to volunteer there7cao5zxMi.jpeg

B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|

1. today / tomorrow I'm going to a local music festival for the 'new events/new people' challenge
  2. alien-fun-md.png

Making someone who is sick smile is not always an easy thing to do.
younger Hunter AdamsDuring an interview with Spirit in the Smokies Magazine, Patch discussed how he taught himself to relate to other human beings, "I experimented with friendliness by calling hundreds of wrong numbers, pretending to be a sociology student, or anything that would help me draw people out. Out in public I engaged strangers in conversation as much as possible. For example, I rode elevators to see how many floors it would take to get the occupants introduced to one another, and even singing songs." http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/patchadams.php

Patch's 10 Everyday Actions to Help Heal Society
spcrcl.gif
Below is the real Patch Adams' prescription for society; everyday actions you can take to make your community a better and happier place to live. The list came from the Gesundheit! Institute website at PatchAdams.org. *Note: ChasingtheFrog is in no way affiliated with the Gesundheit! Institute nor do we endorse any of the ideas below.

1. Pick up all the trash in an area in your hometown; be its guardian. Tell others about it.
  2. Be friendly to everyone at all times; experiment outrageously.
  3. Offer a shoulder or foot rub in any environment.
  4. Always speak up for justice, no matter how much it costs.
  5. Go once a week on a "house call" to a nursing home to cheer people up as a friend.
  6. Turn off your TV and become interesting. Perform yourself.
  7. Consider being silly in public. Sing out loud. Wear funny stuff.
  8. Find ways to need a whole lot less money; share beyond belief.
  9. Have potlucks frequently, with neighbors, co-workers, strangers. Work toward living in extended families.
  10. Take your vacations in your own hometown and spend the money working on projects there that help build community.

Making someone who is sick smile is not always an easy thing to do.
younger Hunter AdamsDuring an interview with Spirit in the Smokies Magazine, Patch discussed how he taught himself to relate to other human beings, "I experimented with friendliness by calling hundreds of wrong numbers, pretending to be a sociology student, or anything that would help me draw people out. Out in public I engaged strangers in conversation as much as possible. For example, I rode elevators to see how many floors it would take to get the occupants introduced to one another, and even singing songs." http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/patchadams.php

Haha that's amazing! maybe some new social missions ;)

yeah! :)

My idea is to eventually have 365 missions you can go on, so 1/day if you want. :)

Oh I like the sound of that!   I'm going to try and think up some more social missions too, they're really fun

Woot! Post them here so I can keep track of them.

today I gave myself a mission to strike up conversations with strangers sitting on benches..... k6189772.jpg

Ended up talking to 5 people....

battled valiantly to get through initial stages of awkwardness :)   images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTI2i75Glrwfw5JQuGFOq

first one was easiest, an older tourist, he wanted to chat for ages and told me various stories.

I wanted to talk to the second guy Shane for longer, he was young and seemed interesting but had to go back to work....  

the next two weren't very talkative and I struggled to get conversation running but managed to find out one's name anyway, Hamish. 

the last was an attractive girl, we talked about boats, she doesn't like boats lol

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnCg60ITQtAwcWggHPJ_k