NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Piotr journal

Piotr

9 minutes ago, Piotr said:

I decided to stop gaming(successfully), because I've neglected my life. Now, when I have grasp on my life, improved my finances, relations, grades and everything is going good; I don't have a reason to not game. I know that gaming will probably make me fall into bad habits again, and this thought is a good "shield" but I don't think this mindset will withstood for long. Any advices?

Just try it out but be aware of the effect it has on you. If you don't see negative effects it doesn't matter if you game or not. If you start seeing shit happening you learned a lesson and know next time why you don't game. At least that was my approach to this issue.  Right now I kind of am someone who doesn't game. It is just not me anymore. I don't think I would have come there without trying it out and see myself failing (binging instantly and falling back into shit habbits in the matter of days).

• Like 2

Well, it is an interesting thought that creeps up. What about gaming makes you want to go and play them right now?  I'll answer mine for you, maybe there will be some similarities;

I want to play a game right now....because I want to relax and reward myself at the end of a long day....because I yearn for magic and story and amazing visuals....because of the positive feelings I recall from my childhood and the accomplishment I felt being able to figure out the puzzle or beat the boss....because I'm bored and have nothing better to do....

Wait what? I have nothing better to do? Heeellll no, I have letters I want to write, rooms I need to organize, car I need to get an oil change for, hair I want to bleach and dye blue, flow flags I want to build and dye myself, copper mugs I need to polish to give away during the holidays, friends I want to visit and catch up with, hikes I want to go on, dances and events I want to go to, I just bought Google Play Music and need to organize and create my music library, I want to prepare food to last for the whole week, my laundry is beginning to pile up again.

So many yummy things and possibilities to fill my time with! I think I'm okay with the reward of going to bed earlier or a 2 hour phone call with a new friend. Let's explore your brain more and this thought more to see if you this is something you think you could handle at this point in your journey. 

For context I did the 90-day detox (well, 82 days...) and now I'm sober on mmo's but not rpg's. I still play games, basically is what I'm saying. But I touch them here and there, it's been 2 months and I haven't even noticed or cared so I'd say I'm in a healthy spot with rpg's being reintroduced. When I reintroduced MMO's I became immediately addicted again and played for hours the first night, the whole day on the weekends, then began neglecting my life once more. 

• Like 2

On 28.11.2017 at 6:09 PM, Hitaru said:

@Piotr Remember it's not games, but the reason why you play games. Temporary escape is ok, procrastination is not. Challenge and progress is ok, Idleness and wasting time in fake achievements is not. Socialization is ok, isolation is not.

Good point. You made me realize that I sometimes exaggerate about gaming addiction. It's not typical addiction, that's why it doesn't work like usual addictions.
The reason for those cravings was stress. Now when I'm relaxed I don't think about it the same way as before.

On 28.11.2017 at 11:33 PM, Laney said:

I touch them here and there, it's been 2 months and I haven't even noticed or cared so I'd say I'm in a healthy spot with rpg's being reintroduced. When I reintroduced MMO's I became immediately addicted again and played for hours the first night, the whole day on the weekends, then began neglecting my life once more.

Funny thing, but I've discovered the same thing. That main problem for me are MMO games, because in fact they are "infinite" games, they don't have typical ending like in RPGs, thus I've used to binge them for a long time. Ending of RPG game, made me feel that, there is nothing more in it and I could move on, where MMO made me feel that I've didn't finished it and still have to play.

On 27.11.2017 at 5:50 PM, WorkInProgress said:

Just try it out but be aware of the effect it has on you. If you don't see negative effects it doesn't matter if you game or not. If you start seeing shit happening you learned a lesson and know next time why you don't game.

Very good sum up to what @Laney and @Hitaru wrote!

Thank you guys, for such valuable answers!!!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TRANSCENDER

This is my word for 2018. Transcender - a person who transcends(exceeds or goes past defined limits). This word is the best term to describe what I want to achieve in 2018.
Last year, my word was finances and I must admit, it worked pretty well! I understood how money works. I've managed to put aside three months paycheck as a failsafe. I've gathered money for an awesome trip. The only thing I've didn't achieved past year was starting my own business.
It made me realize that I need to go a little further to accomplish this. I need to find myself, my passion, something that I could turn into value, which someone else would be willing to be part of and pay for. My another resolution is to be a better person in terms of strong character, positive attitude and physical condition. Also I dream about my own flat
. All of this, requires me to transcend. Couldn't find a better word. :)

• Like 2

On 28.11.2017 at 6:09 PM, Hitaru said:

@Piotr Remember it's not games, but the reason why you play games. Temporary escape is ok, procrastination is not. Challenge and progress is ok, Idleness and wasting time in fake achievements is not. Socialization is ok, isolation is not.

I cannot agree more!!

• Like 1

On 28.11.2017 at 11:33 PM, Laney said:

Well, it is an interesting thought that creeps up. What about gaming makes you want to go and play them right now?  I'll answer mine for you, maybe there will be some similarities;

I want to play a game right now....because I want to relax and reward myself at the end of a long day....because I yearn for magic and story and amazing visuals....because of the positive feelings I recall from my childhood and the accomplishment I felt being able to figure out the puzzle or beat the boss....because I'm bored and have nothing better to do....

Wait what? I have nothing better to do? Heeellll no, I have letters I want to write, rooms I need to organize, car I need to get an oil change for, hair I want to bleach and dye blue, flow flags I want to build and dye myself, copper mugs I need to polish to give away during the holidays, friends I want to visit and catch up with, hikes I want to go on, dances and events I want to go to, I just bought Google Play Music and need to organize and create my music library, I want to prepare food to last for the whole week, my laundry is beginning to pile up again.

So many yummy things and possibilities to fill my time with! I think I'm okay with the reward of going to bed earlier or a 2 hour phone call with a new friend. Let's explore your brain more and this thought more to see if you this is something you think you could handle at this point in your journey. 

For context I did the 90-day detox (well, 82 days...) and now I'm sober on mmo's but not rpg's. I still play games, basically is what I'm saying. But I touch them here and there, it's been 2 months and I haven't even noticed or cared so I'd say I'm in a healthy spot with rpg's being reintroduced. When I reintroduced MMO's I became immediately addicted again and played for hours the first night, the whole day on the weekends, then began neglecting my life once more. 

thats awesome!!!!!

I  feel the same way!

Transcendency journal
entry #1

I don't really know what should I write, but I feel like I have to. I need to make new plans for this week/month/year but procrastination which happened this morning "de-focused" me.
So here I rise, got out of bed, because procrastination is not something I want in my life. I desire transcendency.

Plan for today:
    - prepare a daily routine for this year
    - set goals for this week/month/year

• Like 4

Transcendency journal
entry #2

I've just realized that four days passed since my last journal entry. It's definitely too long, consistency needs to be improved. As I want this year to transcend into something more, and push my life into incredible momentum of achievements and fulfillment. Last days, aren't a good example of that, but rather an introduction to this. I could definitely procrastinate less, but nevertheless I helped my mother, my sister, my brother-in-law, in general I spend more time with people around me. I've dove into learning programming microcontrollers, which is interesting for me and connected with my studies.
Now I gotta go make a project for my studies, daily routine and nailing life in general ;)

Take care GameQuitters!

Daily routine check for day before yesterday:
non-dominant hand writing                - done
affimation                                          - done

Daily routine check for yesterday:
non-dominant hand writing                - failed
affimation                                          - done

• Like 3

Transcendency journal
entry #3

Ok, I'm a bit busy since my semester finals at university, starts this weekend. Working on my project of "sun position detector" using micro controller ATmega8, which goes pretty quicker than I thought. So I don't want to brag, but it seems that everything goes fine. At least it will stay this way, until I fall in procrastination again. I'm proud that although I have much to do, I manage to split and organize my time, so everything gets done. And that's a good start of this year motive - transcendency!

Non-dominant hand writing               - done
Affimation                                          - done
Reading                                            - failed
Physical activity                                - done(training on bars)
Healthy eating                                  - done

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WorkInProgress said:

Nice job. Micro controller knowledge will be important in current jobmarket (especially here in germany with all the "intelligent" cars), Cool thing that you learn to sue them at university. This will serve you well. 

Thanks for the comment! I fully agree, there is lots of potential in microcontrollers. 

• Like 1

Transcendency journal
entry #4

I'm having cravings. Whenever I'm getting my life straight, these thoughts appear, that "everything is OK so I can play". These thoughts have it's roots at the beginning of my no-gaming journey when I quit cold turkey, because I knew that my life was a disaster because of video games. That was my motive for detox, for fighting procrastination and for self development - I need to fix my life, improve all the areas that are mess.
I improved everything what needed to be improved and now I kinda lost my motive. Like a switch turning on for gaming, because everything is ok.

BUT I WANT TO TRANSCEND.

And in transcendency there is no place for gaming, because games doesn't lead to anything good. There are always better things to do than gaming. What can I do right now that leads to something better than gaming?

• I can finish my project for university, to get a degree, to learn something useful
  • I can make a workout, (calisthenics planned for today), to improve my physical condition, to be more healthy, to be stronger
  • I can read a book(not connected with studies), to learn about something new, to know other people perspective, to find out new solutions
  • I can experiment with microcontroller and electronics, to create some awesome things and learn things connected with my studies

OR, I can game. What gaming will give me? It will kill some of my time. Irreversibly I will loose an opportunity for productive things... I will feel regret, that I spend part of my life in such wasteful way.

I'm sorry. It sounds a bit like a monologue, but it seems that I needed this.

Peace brothers!

Affirmation                                         - done
Reading                                            - done
Physical activity                                - done(running and abs)

• Like 2

Transcendency journal
entry #5

This weekend was a hard time. I had to prioritize my activities and resign from some of them to finish more important ones. I'm proud that I've passed all 4 exams which I had at university this weekend.  Things are going good overall. Still thinking on what type of business I could start. I hope that a "100$ startup" book which I bought recently, will help me to find that answer.

Reading                                            - failed
Physical activity                                - done

• Like 1

On 22.01.2018 at 8:10 PM, Cam Adair said:

Good book!

That's right! There is lot's of wisdom and positivity written.

On 23.01.2018 at 4:24 AM, MPieterse said:

Congratulations on your exams!

Many thanks! Only one left to go, to pass this semester. Btw. this one will be easier than previous ones.

• Like 1

Transcendency journal
entry #6

Today I made a blood donation, it feels so good that I am helping others, it's very satisfying and fulfilling feeling. Things are going good overall, I complete all my planned tasks with ease, although sometimes I have a hesitation on my resting time; maybe I sometimes exaggerate my exhaustion? 
I'm very happy with my progress and understanding on microcontrollers; yesterday I made a simple reversing sensor for educational purposes.
I still need to think(or maybe work?) on how I can help or provide value for other people. This will be a good starting thought for my future business which I would want to start and set in motion by end of this year.

Reading                                            - done
Physical activity                                - done

• Like 2