NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Finally decided to quit for good.

Sashiku

Hello everyone. I'm Leah, and I've tried to quit before. About 2 years ago I realized I was playing my life away i tried to quit but I had NO idea what I was supposed to do with the time I had gained and after a couple days of being bored as can be, I started right back up. I had no support at all, and all my "Friends" seemed to look down on me for quitting.

I have been incredibly sick of games for about a year now and every morning I turn on my PC and sit in front of my 90+ Steam games, not wanting to play any of them. I have been making myself play them anyhow because of boredom and stress, which has only made me hate them more.

I started gaming in my early twenties. I'm half blind due to my Optic nerve Hypoplasia so there is not a lot I can do on my own. Leaving the house is nearly impossible as I can't drive and I'm too poor to afford a cab, therefore, gaming was an easy fix... Except for the fact that I wasn't fixing anything. I was just trying to have the life I always wanted. Fantastic journeys to faraway lands, seeing things clearer than I could see them for real, being a heroine... And for a while it made me feel wonderful. I've never even left my home state before, so games were just a way for me to leave the house *in my own mind* and do something I couldn't actually do for real. Having ADHD only worsened my addiction, as boredom is something I don't cope with well.

Now that I am quitting, I don't know how I will deal with the limitations again but I certainly have to try. I hope this will be a great community and that I will actually be able to quit once and for all with your help. <3

Thanks for having me. <3

Welcome, Leah!  

This community has really helped me find ways to feel good without the endless Steam-a-thon that just left me drained and exactly where I started.

I'm sure you can some great activities (check out Cam's list of hobbies, I just printed it out).

My first real guitar lesson is tomorrow, I found a guy who does house calls.  I'm so excited, even though I can barely tune and hold the thing.

Actually busted out my library card.  Sure I could do the kindle/ipad thing, but I like the smell.  And I like the pace of the library.  I stay away from the terminals, though.

Graphic novels are a great source of cool shit and cool characters, that's half of why I gamed anyway.  It's kind of a new golden age for comics.

I recommend Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead or Invincible series, but there are so,so,so many others.

Wish you the best, we're rooting for you.

Out.

Leah,

Welcome! I'm a fellow quitter/relapser, and I can totally relate to ADHD worsening your addiction. I find that once you get away from gaming, ADHD (if managed correctly) can actually be a HUGE plus in getting stuff done, and engaging yourself in whichever tasks you decide to tackle. With a bit of self-experimentation and motivation, you will definitely find a way to channel your brainpower.

The community here is great - lots of resources, journals, support, you name it. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Welcome, Leah!  

This community has really helped me find ways to feel good without the endless Steam-a-thon that just left me drained and exactly where I started.

I'm sure you can some great activities (check out Cam's list of hobbies, I just printed it out).

My first real guitar lesson is tomorrow, I found a guy who does house calls.  I'm so excited, even though I can barely tune and hold the thing.

Actually busted out my library card.  Sure I could do the kindle/ipad thing, but I like the smell.  And I like the pace of the library.  I stay away from the terminals, though.

Graphic novels are a great source of cool shit and cool characters, that's half of why I gamed anyway.  It's kind of a new golden age for comics.

I recommend Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead or Invincible series, but there are so,so,so many others.

Wish you the best, we're rooting for you.

Out.

I will certainly do my best. :)

I am already feeling good about this community and actually feel like I can do it this time. Guitar huh? That's impressive. :)

Oh! I loved reading before gaming! :D I had read the first 4 Harry Potter books about 5 times each. And sadly, I have a nice collection of graphic novels but I have only read 1 or 2 of them, or skimmed because I wanted to get back to playing.

I also bought "The Zombie Survival Guide" last year and haven't even read it yet. I am going to read that as soon as I clean my house and get chores done. My house is a wreck to say the least...

And yes, I loved the walking dead. :D

Thanks so much for your suggestions and comment. I am so thankful!

Leah,

Welcome! I'm a fellow quitter/relapser, and I can totally relate to ADHD worsening your addiction. I find that once you get away from gaming, ADHD (if managed correctly) can actually be a HUGE plus in getting stuff done, and engaging yourself in whichever tasks you decide to tackle. With a bit of self-experimentation and motivation, you will definitely find a way to channel your brainpower.

The community here is great - lots of resources, journals, support, you name it. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Thanks for your comment, I feel so relieved that people want to help and share their tips and stories with me.

I actually just got diagnosed with ADHD 2 months ago. After that I suppose it was only a matter of time before I discovered the link between that and gaming.

I actually LOVE to draw but have been way too involved in games to get a comic done I have been wanting to draw. I hope I can actually draw the comic out once I've recovered completely. The computer itself can be a bit addicting too, but I am going to push myself hard to not use it too much. I do have to draw on the computer as my vision isn't very good so I like to use painting programs like Paint Tool Sai to really zoom in and do tiny details in my work. I also mess up a lot, so the undo button is frequently used. :)

I am sure you are right, I am trying to get treated for ADHD right now but I have had no luck getting medication.

Anyway, thanks for your comment! ^^

Leah,

Thanks for your comment, I feel so relieved that people want to help and share their tips and stories with me.

I actually just got diagnosed with ADHD 2 months ago. After that I suppose it was only a matter of time before I discovered the link between that and gaming.

I actually LOVE to draw but have been way too involved in games to get a comic done I have been wanting to draw. I hope I can actually draw the comic out once I've recovered completely. The computer itself can be a bit addicting too, but I am going to push myself hard to not use it too much. I do have to draw on the computer as my vision isn't very good so I like to use painting programs like Paint Tool Sai to really zoom in and do tiny details in my work. I also mess up a lot, so the undo button is frequently used. :)

I am sure you are right, I am trying to get treated for ADHD right now but I have had no luck getting medication.

People here are more than welcoming when it comes to sharing personal experiences. It's great ^_^! I'm actually in a really similar situation; I got diagnosed with ADHD 3 months ago, and the only reason I bothered going in for testing was because I realized gaming got out of control.

There's definitely a ton of artists here - check out some of the journals/threads, they post a lot of their work on here. As for the ADHD treatment, keep in mind there's a few different routes - I personally opted out of medication. Everyone's case is different, and you're not doomed if you can't get medication (definitely discuss this one with a doctor/psychiatrist, though). 

Good luck with your first few days!!!

Leah,

People here are more than welcoming when it comes to sharing personal experiences. It's great ^_^! I'm actually in a really similar situation; I got diagnosed with ADHD 3 months ago, and the only reason I bothered going in for testing was because I realized gaming got out of control.

There's definitely a ton of artists here - check out some of the journals/threads, they post a lot of their work on here. As for the ADHD treatment, keep in mind there's a few different routes - I personally opted out of medication. Everyone's case is different, and you're not doomed if you can't get medication (definitely discuss this one with a doctor/psychiatrist, though). 

Good luck with your first few days!!!

yea, I wanted therapy more, but my therapist said that since my ADHD is rather severe that I should consider some lightweight medicines. I guess its worth a shot since my attention span is so small. I just want my life back really. If it helps me get there then I'll give it a try. :)

Thanks~ I know its going to be hard at first. xD thanks for the wish of luck <3

Welcome.

I don't have ADHD (they once made the test, took an awful lot of time to evaluate it, then said "no" without any explanation -> ??? Thanks.), but i noticed that after 3 weeks now, it has become easier for me to concentrate - my head is clearer now. I hope it helps you too. (Not arguing for or against medicine here)

Welcome.

I don't have ADHD (they once made the test, took an awful lot of time to evaluate it, then said "no" without any explanation -> ??? Thanks.), but i noticed that after 3 weeks now, it has become easier for me to concentrate - my head is clearer now. I hope it helps you too. (Not arguing for or against medicine here)

^^ Thanks for the input. <3

Welcome, Sashiku!  :)

Great to see another female on this forum!  There are few and far between. 

I hope you find helpful hints and support over here.  I think this forum is wonderful, and there are many good folks on board.  I just wanted you to know that quitting gaming is a process, and everyone is different in their approach.  I think the main goal is to find fulfillment again in your life, that does not relate to gaming extensively.  Your artwork is awesome, I had a look at it in another thread!  I wonder if you could make a business out of your artwork, perhaps create stickers for school binders?  I think it would be an incredible small-business opportunity on a website like Etsy.  :)

Anyway, it is late here and I must log off soon.  Hope to read more of your posts one day! 

Sincerely,

Danni