NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Journal of a really bored guy

coccinust

Day 13:

Well, I've been doing some things.

I've been making regular diary entries in my real diary, although that's definitely not an excuse for refraining from this one.

I finished all my exams a week or two ago, and I've been reading at school b/c we're not doing anything xD

Went to the gym for the 1st time in a very long time w/my friends. Can't even lift 15kg haha.

I think habitica has really helped me manage my daily tasks (reading, drawing, exercise,etc) and stop myself from procrastinating.

I'm not quite sure what to do over the summer though, as I've got a short trip in the middle of the holidays so I can't really do anything.

Today my mood was pretty bad b/c we had useless teachers who really shouldn't be teaching imo.

Hello again!

Coccunist, you said using habitica have helped you. Can you tell me more how you're using it? Because for me sometimes it worked and sometimes didn't. How you're scheduling your task to be effective?

And great that you realised your trigger. And the solution to be more social is to get out of the house more often. If you feel lack of motivation to do this, then you should schedule at least 2 event to participate in per week. It could be anything you're interested in, but for first time, I thoroughly recommend Toastmasters meeting.

Went to the gym for the 1st time in a very long time w/my friends. Can't even lift 15kg haha.

You will be able to if you stay consistent. When I started working out again in September it helped a lot to focus more on just being consistent than on the specific weight I could lift. If I remained consistent, increasing my weights was inevitable. 

• 2 months later...

Day 14 (+2 months):

It's been a long time since my last entry!

I think I've actually been able to slowly replace gaming enough that I can finally stop, although I don't want to jinx it.

Every morning, the first thing I do is read a book instead of opening up my computer. I think it's helped me not procrastinate right away.

I think the reason why is a combination of summer school (first time I've been in one, with some really talented people -I saw how people were trying way harder than me even though we're the same age), the building up of hobbies I've done over the last few months (drawing, running, reading), and Cam's video on "What if quitting video games is hard?"

I think I've always tended to stay away from challenging tasks, even if subconsciously, and my good grades only made it worse (that I was "only" good at maths/science for example, instead of challenging myself to do other things). That video really helped me understand that some tasks are meant to be difficult (as obvious as it seems), and most importantly that we shouldn't give up.

So here's my semi-daily drawing that I did in 30 minutes :D, and thank you very much.

room.png

• 2 weeks later...

Under quite a bit of pressure right now, but it should be exciting

Have to resit my exams, and my university application is coming up next month so I have to work extra hard to make sure my personal statement is polished and ready. Even not playing games, I'll need to not procrastinate on other things like youtube because that's not much better tbh. I'm not really sure I'll get into the universities I applied for as they're ranked the top in the world though, sorta just hoping I'll get lucky and one will accept me haha. But I think this episode has taught me to be more responsible for my own life.

Ran 7 km in one hour, way better than when I had to stop nearly every km back in May. Progress is nice!