NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Shame & Stigma of Gaming

Cam Adair

I hardly ever considered gaming to be a stigma for me. Of course, there were a few people that probably didn't think too highly of me being a gamer (my father, for example). The only time I would feel shamed of gaming is when I would spend entire days playing games, turning off the computer/console late at night, and realizing that I blew away my entire day doing nothing productive. I never felt resistance from people who knew I was a gamer mainly because many people I knew were also into gaming or digital art related to video games/animated movies. I guess I always felt that gaming was a passion of mine and a career pursuit- not just a hobby and a time-killer. I wanted to do something productive with my interest in gaming, and since I found groups of people at college and online friends who shared such interests, the idea of gaming being a stigma never crossed my mind enough to truly care about what people thought. My mindset was always "this is just who I am."

I hardly ever considered gaming to be a stigma for me. Of course, there were a few people that probably didn't think too highly of me being a gamer (my father, for example). The only time I would feel shamed of gaming is when I would spend entire days playing games, turning off the computer/console late at night, and realizing that I blew away my entire day doing nothing productive. I never felt resistance from people who knew I was a gamer mainly because many people I knew were also into gaming or digital art related to video games/animated movies. I guess I always felt that gaming was a passion of mine and a career pursuit- not just a hobby and a time-killer. I wanted to do something productive with my interest in gaming, and since I found groups of people at college and online friends who shared such interests, the idea of gaming being a stigma never crossed my mind enough to truly care about what people thought. My mindset was always "this is just who I am."

Thanks for sharing.

I haven't seen the video yet, since I am on an old computer for which even a youtube video is a huge challenge ;) but I have some reflections about the shame of gaming, I consider gaming quite shameful, and for some time, I was hiding the fact that I was gaming from my father, and when my cousin called me that she would come to visit me and I was playing at the moment, I did not want to her to see me gaming, mainly because I consider computer games something childish and infantile. Games are something that primary school children may be doing, and not adults who should prefer more sublime and intellectual entertainment. So this is something I should not entertain myself with, being in my early thirties, it simply does not become people this age.