NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

How To Use Your Past

Alkan

I noticed recently that I actually did make pretty good use (with training) of using my understanding of game motivation to actually change how I look at my own life. In this way, I've found a way to use my past history of gaming addiction.

For instance, I've trained* myself to see every minute I spend on something as valuable. This is very much in line with how games give you some sort of resource (like skill points) that cannot be taken away. So, the trick was to stop seeing time without immediate results as a waste of time. It's training. It's training myself to push myself harder, to work harder, to concentrate. And, every minute I spend doing that, I get better at it by a small amount.

So, I imagine that I have this resource pool of time spent that is analogous to experience in RPGs. So far it has led to less procrastination and more focus.

*I underlined this word because training takes time on scales of weeks and months. Getting actual behavioral results is a matter of spending this kind of time on it.

Smart. 

I'll see if I can transfer similar skills and mindsets. I did a lot of Roguelikes, which consist of not knowing what's going on while building a good strategy and learning from mistakes. Shoot, I've made a lot of mistakes doing detox so far. However, I've been adapting my strategy to account for more surprises as I go. Heck, as far as experience goes, even a build that fails isn't a loss, because it helps me with future builds.

That's awesome mindset I easily can implement into my life!

For instance, I've spent 177,4 golden hours (50 minutes of 100% focused time) total on studying for college this year (I have Time Meter app to calculate this). It's like 177 skill points that I've achieved and when I sometimes think about my college like I'm lazy/cannot learn something, then I can remind myself "Hey, you did 177 hours, so you know A LOT, and you can do 1 more).

That's awesome mindset I easily can implement into my life!

For instance, I've spent 177,4 golden hours (50 minutes of 100% focused time) total on studying for college this year (I have Time Meter app to calculate this). It's like 177 skill points that I've achieved and when I sometimes think about my college like I'm lazy/cannot learn something, then I can remind myself "Hey, you did 177 hours, so you know A LOT, and you can do 1 more).

What is the name of the app and is it available for Android?