NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

A frozen thanksgiving

username17

Welp, I'm giving this a shot. I'm at work right now. I Get off in 7 hours. I've already uninstalled all the games on my Cellphone because those are just distractions.

I have so many games on my PC at home I might just power it off. If it weren't for Games I'd use Linux at home so I might spend some time setting up a Linux PC to use in lieu of my Windows gaming PC.

• Guest pinned this topic

Day two here we go. I'm using my Gaming PC still until I get Linux fully setup (USB Boot issues). So to be on the safe side I uninstalled Battle net, Origin, Steam, and all games within. My real addiction was Everquest though. I deleted and removed that as well.

@mli I have a few co-workers that use Gentoo. The initial setup was always too daunting for me. On this side PC I'm just installing Xubuntu. The plan was to put this small side PC in front of my treadmill for watching Netflix while on the Treadmill. But from my Introduction post it seems like that's a bad idea. I might just do some audio books instead.

Now that I've uninstalled all my games I've got this beast of a machine with no use for it. So I might try Gentoo on this as a learning experience. But that'll probably have to wait for now.

I have installed LinuxMint and it works easy and comfortable. I found a great book on this site about the command Line which seems really comprehensive so far. As I installed it, I couldn't usb boot on my usb sticks at home too. If you got your boot options on point and intstalled the bootable iso-file with a normal usb-stick creator like unetbootin ,you should try to buy a new usbstick and do it on the new one again. Sucks if your only mistake is non functional hardware(been there).

• Guest unpinned this topic

Thanks for the info. My issue was I used a Xubuntu 14 Vbox to create a USB boot disk for Xubuntu 15. When I went to boot off USB it works but threw all sorts of nasty errors because of the differing versions of syslinux. I spooled up another Virtualbox on my Gaming PC, installed Xubuntu 15, and created a boot disk from there. I had to leave for work but that's where I'll be picking up when I get home.

Once I get Xubuntu 15 running on the side PC I'll just power off my Gaming PC and leave it off.

I really do have a long since neglected to-do list which should keep me busy for a while. So far I'm not really missing gaming. The challenge will be when the first craving hits. My 3 day weekend starts tomorrow. I'm going to have to get creative to find something to fill those newly free-d up 36 hours of my life.

Day two has ended. Still going good fueled by the long to-do list. Got Linux setup on my alternate PC in my Bedroom. Gaming PC going to be powered off for a while now. Will probably try my hand at Gentoo as recommended once I really run out of to-do's and need something to occupy my time.

Day 3 begins. This is my friday. I have Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off (I work an overnight 4x10 schedule). This is when the real challenge starts I feel. My weekends are typically consumed and ruined by gaming.

I made sure to uninstall the games Xubuntu pre-installed on my Alt Linux PC.

Yeah I downloaded the PDF. Lots of good ideas. I don't think I'll have too many issues using some of the suggestions in the Acting, Resting, and Achievement categories.

But I have a lot of anxiety about social settings so some of the things I've been wanting to do (Yoga in a studio, Aikido, etc) have been dropped. Public speaking would be torture at this point in my life.

There's is a Linux/UNIX User Group in my area which I want to start attending again. There's little to no anxiety there because it's just me and a bunch of other nerds. Maybe I can use that to break out of my shell and then shoot for something a little bit more out of my comfort zone.

As far as what I'm doing this weekend I only have one thing really planned so far. I need to paint the eaves of my house. I recently had a new roof put on my house. A lot of the wood was replaced (old house, planks. Not plywood) so it really stands out. That's been on my to-do list for a long time. Even from before I got the roof replaced. So that's my first goal for the weekend. That'll probably only take a day though. I'll have to think up some other things to do for day 2 and 3.

There's a Botanical garden with walking/running trails near my house. I initially planned to do all my running/walking in front of netflix on a treadmill. But quitting gaming just to start watching TV in it's stead isn't shooting as high as I'd like to shoot. So I'm thinking of getting a membership there. It'll be something that will get me out of the house, it's a beautiful area,it'll get some sun in me (I'm quite pale),  and it's a more inspiring form of exercise (in my opinion) compared to treadmilling in a room with a TV.

The suggestion to get a part time job was especially good. Although in all honestly I'd rather volunteer on my weekends then get a 2nd job. I'm signed up on volunteermatch.org but never really got any hits. I may have to be more aggressive about finding volunteer opportunities if I do end up with too much free time on my weekends.

I'll see how it goes.

Welp day 4 is here. No gaming so far. This home improvement project of painting the eaves is going to be a lot bigger job than I thought. My house isn't big at all but it's OLD (~100 years) so it's got that many years of paint on it. I spent all afternoon yesterday and only got one side of the house done.

In my resting hours last night I setup Linux on my Gaming PC so right now I don't have a single device with a game on it.

I got another side of the house/eaves done. Also did some yard work. Tomorrow I think I'm gonna take a break from it and go to the Botanical garden. I wanna watch the new Divergent movie too. 

Welp I survived my 1st weekend. Keep in mind I have 3 day weekends because of my schedule. I leave work Wednesday morning at 9am and don't return until 9pm Saturday night. I've had this schedule for years but I'm thinking I might need to switch to Days. It's hard to go outside and work on the house at 3am.

I still have a ton of things on my to-do list to keep me busy. I'm also revisiting past hobbies that I enjoyed (Billiards and Yo-yo) and considering some of the ideas on the Hobby Ideas PDF to try out.

Welp I survived my 1st weekend. Keep in mind I have 3 day weekends because of my schedule. I leave work Wednesday morning at 9am and don't return until 9pm Saturday night. I've had this schedule for years but I'm thinking I might need to switch to Days. It's hard to go outside and work on the house at 3am.

I still have a ton of things on my to-do list to keep me busy. I'm also revisiting past hobbies that I enjoyed (Billiards and Yo-yo) and considering some of the ideas on the Hobby Ideas PDF to try out.

Woot! You did it :)

Week 1 is down. Starting on Week 2. I'm starting to miss playing video games. Certain things I hear other people taking about or read online trigger the memories of all the good times I had playing. But I'm quick to remind myself of my goals in life. One of which is to complete the 90 day detox.

My co-worker is heavy into gaming and that's pretty much all he talks about. I try to entertain the conversation but not think too much about it. I brought up some more active hobbies we might both be interested in instead of gaming. But I have a feeling things might grow apart with us now that I don't having gaming in common with him. We'll see.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I've been doing a lot of reading as well. My goal is 1 book a week for now. Right now I'm reading the Dresden files for the fun of it. But once I get more adjusted to reading I'll start integrating some of the more instructional books I have like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence, 7 Habits of Highly Successful People, etc.

I think I've tried to read the Zen book 3 times now but I always let gaming get in the way. Hoping 4th time will be the charm.

I initially was splitting the reading up into pomodoro's so I could take a break as needed. But lately I can read for an hour or two with no problem at all.

One of my goals was to finish books on my booklist and add more too it. Hopefully I can really get into reading and can start to knock out some of these books that have been on my list for 6+ months.

Edited by username17

On thing which helped me with books was just to read what I was interested in. If I struggled with willpower I found a good book about it and read. Also I think it isn't important to finish books. If a book sucks for you, try a little longer and then switch to something you find interesting. Later on you can still come back, but one bad book is no reason to stop reading until you finished it.

Keep going! Some days and weeks are easier than others, but it's all part of the process. Keep reminding yourself of your goals and remember that you're starting a new chapter of your life. It will all work out in the end. We've got your back. 

How have the past few days been?

I had a fairly underwhelming weekend. As soon as I got off work Wednesday morning at 9am I didn't have the energy to work on my house. I did W1D1 C25K, Day 1 of 30 Yoga with Adrienne, 10 minutes of headspace, and I read some. So I did some positive things for myself. And I didn't play video games. But I didn't quite get done what I wanted.

The next day I woke up at 7:30 determined to work on the house. I did a 2nd day of C25K, Yoga, etc. But around 10am I just went back to sleep. The rest of my weekend was pretty much sedentary and wasteful.

So I'm not too happy with myself. But I've picked myself back up and I'm starting where I left off with C25k, Yoga, headspace, reading, etc.

I guess my ego didn't expect me to fail. Or fail so quickly. But I've picked myself back up and I'm keeping on.

Note: I am keeping a personal journal on my PC using RedNotebook. So while I'm not posting here as much I am still tracking my progression.

Although we can have high standards, you're still at the beginning of your journey, so focus on positive encouragement instead of being hard on yourself. All things considered, a day of W1D1 C25K, Yoga, headspace and reading is lightyears better than one spent gaming.