NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Roger's Journal

RogerChui

Improving these three things will make you happier:

• Sleeping schedule: Getting enough sleep, 7-8 hours.
  • Workout routine: Do sports, cardio or mma when young, once you are 18 start weightlifting. (just pick your favorite sport and stick to it) 
  • Diet: Eating right, can't go wrong with this

Day 9

I finally saw a new doctor and got some new medicine. My cough was getting to its worst level. Thank god those pills worked well against my illness! I'm not entirely relieved, but at least I'm not coughing once per five minutes. 

More importantly, I'm starting to have a healthy diet - no cold drinks, no preserved food, more water. It's no Paleo diet (because my parents still cook what I eat), but that'll do for now. Although it's not on the same level of gaming it can still be a bit challenging for me. Over these 2 years I've been buying every drink and every pack of potato chips whenever I see a convenient store. I enjoyed the food at first, but it become a habit overtime. The food doesn't even taste good anymore yet I'm still buying them! And I believe breaking this habit is just like quitting gaming - not on the same level, but similar processes and cravings will occur. I may feel I'm not satisfied with my meals but I'm sure it'll change.

Day 10

I haven't played card for a while, haven't I? Good to pick them up again, I guess.

I mean, I'm working at a youth centre. So there's gotta be games somewhere. What's even better is that even we workers can play some of the games when we have nothing to do. Very cool I must say, haha.

Day 11

For my whole life my parents have told me again and again to read. They tell me how reading is good, reading is fun and is a much better to do instead of, well, gaming. As a kid I've always found visual content far more interesting, and so books, which do not content and visual content, never interested me. When I grow bigger I started to understand how books can be amazing, yet never read them. I've even bought some books in the past and told myself "hey, maybe someday you'll get bored and pick this book up. You never know."

And today is the day I pick a book up.

For someone who's never read a book seriously before, it's like going into a new world of unexpectedness. Yes - I've never read a book seriously, not even read a single whole book. (except the books in my elementary school which are wayyy too stupid for me to read) Either the book's topic does not interest me, or that the reason was, "You've got games anyways, why read books when you have so much more fun gaming?"

Today I brought a book that I bought long ago, without an idea of why I bought it - The Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Yes Charles Dickens. For my first serious book. And it's not short either. Usually when I see a book thick like this I would just avoid it. But surprisingly, today I read this book at my work, and I find it very charming!

For once I was amazed by the things I read in a book. It's not super-exciting like gaming, but the surprises a book can give, I've found, can be wonderful. And this is where I recall Cam's video on Pokemon GO - When we're gaming, we're so used to being passive about gaining satisfication. We're used to things coming to us that makes us happy, instead of us exploring the world outside us, and finding things that makes us happy. The same goes with reading books. Simply reading the words cannot bring you any fun. Use your mind to imagine, create the scene described in the books. Make the scene as beautiful and as exciting it can be - just like filming a movie in your head by simply looking at words. If you do so you can really get attached to the storyline, and ultimately feel like it's one of the most wondrous things you've ever seen. This is something that gaming doesn't teach - the skill of creating something using your own mind, and making you satisfied by doing so.

I'm still not a book fanatic, I can still get bored when I read for too long, but definitely learnt something today.

Day 12

Went pretty well.

Day 13

Went well, too.

Today I decided to re-install Musescore which I haven't used in a long time. (It's a thing which allows you to write music scores for different instruments). Last year when I was bored, and if I don't want to play video games at that time, I would open Musescore, listen to some of my favourite music and try to write a score for it. Though I've been doing this for a short time before I go back to play video games :P Now that I remember this and have time, I decided to have some fun with writing scores again. Music has always been one of my favourite things in life. No matter if it's classical, 8-bit, EDM, or even gaming.

When I was in elementary school I was always lonely (had little friends at that time haha), I would pick up my good ol' mp3, my earphones, and listen to some good music. It lifts my spirits, and it was another way of dealing with boredom besides from gaming that time. I play piano and although I'm not a pro at it, I do like playing it a lot especially some relaxing, uplifting music. Now that I've more time on other things I started to collect suggestions from other people on what songs they like, and try to play it. It's pretty fun :)

Day 14

2 weeks -- and surprise, I'm going to England! Well, travelling to different countries is normal I guess, but what I'm doing is that I"ve joined a summer science programme, which I'll have to travel to UK for 2 weeks, and do all kinds of science activities such as going to museums, learning sciency stuff, and more. Am I excited? Well, as a nerd I'm usually not excited by going outside, but I'm interested in what I'll learn there! 

For the next 2 weeks I don't know if I'll have time to write my journal or not. I'll bring my notebook there but since we can only go back to our dorms at 10 pm, and that's the time when I sleep...I'm not sure, I'll see. I'll try to write things that really, really interest me.

Packed everything, and I'm ready to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 15-30

And so my trip to UK has ended. This will be a memory that I'll never forget.

The trip was amazing - I went to lots of museums, learnt lots of cool stuff in Science classes, and most importantly, had fun with lots of people there. Way before I joined the programme I thought that my mom was stupid to "waste all of her money" on this thing, and what's worse is that I feared that I would gain nothing from the trip. But as I progress more I find it more enjoyable than I thought - I gained more friends and learnt interesting stuff that I'll never get to learn in a school. I also get to go to places where Hong Kong will never have! The scenery is beautiful too. Lots of trees, forests, cycling roads and farmlands. It's the kind of relaxing atmosphere that I love. Before I left, I missed everyone and the place I lived in so much. I've never talked and played so much with any of my classmates before, it's the first time that the faces I see are truly memorable to me. I was a bit sad, but knowing that we'll keep in contact makes me happy. My mind kept having images of the fun I had in these 2 weeks, and I hope not to forget those images as well.

I'm very proud of myself in these 2 weeks - instead of being shy like I was before, I had the courage to chat with my peers. I focused on building friendships, and I did well. Other than friends, I'm also proud of my eagerness to learn new things in this programme. Although I do not have a subject that I love with passion, I still like to discover things and find something as interesting as possible. In these 2 weeks I learnt in-depth some concepts of Science, and the process was challenging and rewarding.

That is all. Back to work tomorrow! (But jet lag will probably make me oversleep, lol.)