NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Miharu's Journal

SundayMiharu

Miharu's Log - Day 9

So far, I am really satisfied with rescuetime. Unfortunately, it seems like I need Rescuetime premium, or another alternatives for logging my time. The data is really, really interesting and I can see how I can measure myself in terms of productivity.

What I need then is a project manager to manage my goals. How to measure time spent as productivity is the problem here.

Assuming I broke down every project into steps, according to Pareto 80-20 principle, 80% of the effect comes from 20% of the cause. Conversely, 20% of the effect comes from 80% of the cause. I could do some of those steps, and do not feel productive since I contribute to 20% of the effect. Or I could just do a few steps and feel productive since those steps contribute to 80% of the effect. It's all theory, though. 

I always talked about how to improve myself huh. Let's change the topic.

I am still a procrastinator. I have some projects with deadlines nearing everyday, and instead I learned something else not directly required for the projects. So, yeah. I have to manage my time better. 

Well, weekends approaching. I guess I'll try to take a break from technology for sunday then.

Any recommendation?

For morning 6AM to 8AM I want to dedicate it to work out. Other than that, I have free time (I'm lying. There are those looming projects asking to be completed).

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Cam Adair Data analysis from a national survey. 

Miharu's Log - Day 10

I want to read GTD. any free book you can give? Importing it would be costly for me.

Yesterday I was in a fever. As a consequence, I cannot get anything done. Will try to get it done today.

Edited by SundayMiharu

Miharu's Log - day 13

Okay, what to talk for today...?

Let's see. I'm feeling better right now. better than yesterday anyway. Can't say that I have a good sleep though.

On the other note, I break my nofap streak lately. I still don't have any alternative on how to sleep quickly, especially in pain caused by headache. Any solution?

Miharu's Log - Day 14

Well... How to define productivity exactly?

I'm quite bored here. Then again, there is a problem with my teeth that gives me constant blinding pain on my head.

This week certainly isn't productive to me.

@Cam Adair. Not sold in my country. Sorry. I've checked.

Edited by SundayMiharu

Miharu's Log - Day 15

Should I continue writing this daily, anyone? To be honest, I never wrote a journal before. 

Let's see.

May target:

Relearn SQL and relational database and OODB

-- Learn SQL [COMPLETE]

-- Learn relational database and OODB [0%]

What I've done in may:

Completed a basic course in Ruby, JS

I began collecting data of my computer usage. Considering that I use computer for average over 14 hours everyday (including android), I think this data would be beneficial to me. Well, I think I am obsessed with personal analytics right now. What I want to infer from this data is:

1. My cycle of Rest - Work - Fun.

first, optimizing rest. I have not had time to experiment with this one. Maybe this project should be delayed.

2. My focus length.

I am thinking of building my own personal analytics. The data I've gotten from rescuetime is good for cursory information. Though, I cannot use that for analysis (that's for pro feature). It is also scary to entrust this kind of data to others.

Making mobile support, with voice recognition as a way to log too.

Wish me luck, ok?

What I lack:

Personal development.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should plan for June target then.

On june, I want to learn about android app development(tentative).

Hello, Miharu, I've been browsing through your diary and noticed that one of your plans was to stop reading fiction, I wonder why you want to do it? I have always been an avid reader and I believe that literature is a great replacement when you want to quit gaming. Why do you want to stop reading fiction? On some moral grounds? I believe there is nothing wrong with fiction, in fact, enjoying stories in embedded in human nature, and storytelling was present in human life from pre-historical times, here is an article I once found when I was researching why we humans enjoy and need fictional stories so much: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-storytelling-animal/201205/fiction-addiction

@Primmulla yes. There is nothing wrong with fiction.

The problem is me. I am so addicted to reading fiction that I placed it quite high in my priority list. Once I got my hand on a reading material, I procrastinate everything until I read it, or stopped somewhere when I am too tired to read. In fact, I enjoy reading stories or gaming that when I was in exam period, I still read.

The problem is moderation. I think it evokes my brain chemistry the same way gaming to me. I have no urge to game. But the desire to read is more pronounced. 

Miharu's Log - Day 16

Let's see.

I don't know what to write.

recommend me a topic that is not too private?

Edited by SundayMiharu

I am an avid reader and no stranger to losing a bit of sleep over an interesting book, if a book is hard to put down and full of cliff-hangers, it is normal to read until you know how it ends, there is nothing wrong with it. What exactly are the problems reading causes in your life? It may be you are over-reacting as I was with my supposed addiction to games. Books are not interactive and I do not think they can make you addicted the same way games may, generally reading is something good and nobody recommends quitting it, in fact teachers, librarians and educators are constantly looking for new ways to get young people interested in reading. I don't think you should quench your love for reading. Think what are specific problems reading causes in your life, and maybe share them here so others can decide whether you are not too harsh on yourself. And anyway, there is no point in trying to quit reading and gaming at the same time, what you would do for relaxation? Human beings need relaxing activities to unwind and so to be able to work more effectively. I do not think it is a good idea to quit reading at all, it is a much better than gaming, since it may teach you a lot, from vocabulary and grammar which you can use in your own writing, to understanding human behaviour, having more empathy towards others because in books you can come across with people and events very different from your own immediate environment. Which genres do you like? Are you still at school? From the mention of exams I guess you are. There is nothing wrong with reading books before exams, provided you have been studying your school subjects during the school year and have done your revisions. In fact, it is even advisable to read a book or go to the cinema a day before the exam to alleviate stress and to stop worrying about the exam, take your thoughts elsewhere. I believe that the benefits of reading far outweigh the possible disadvantages. I would like to give you some advice but I have to know more about your problem with books. If you not comfortable with writing on a public forum, you can send me a private message. The only thing that comes to my mind now is to couple your reading experience with learning a foreign language: read in a language you are learning on such a level that you can understand written text in this language without checking every word in a dictionary. You can write down any new words you encounter in a book, and you would remember them better because of seeing them in context.

@Primmulla The problem is that the fiction includes other kind of fiction (fan fiction, web fiction)? Those two kind of fiction is extremely accessible, and its quality is not really QCed. Anyway, As I've said, there is no way fiction is bad. This is I always agree with you. But,I consider many things that was done excessively bad. The excessiveness (what should be the word for this?) is what I want to control/moderate. 

For relaxation, I still have my music, either guitar or piano. I never had problem with gaming, 

@hycniejsy, I already used rescuetime for that purpose. If the data can be extracted though... is it?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Miharu's Log - Day 17

So. What do you want to know? I major in statistics. I don't think that statistics is my passion. To be honest, I am more interested in data analysis part in statistics, instead of statistics in its wholesome. I am grateful though for all the knowledge the lecturer taught me.

Let's turn this into AMA for this day.

Edited by SundayMiharu

If you could meet any famous person dead or alive who would it be and what is one question you would want to ask them?

Who would it be? Any famous person huh. I don't have one coming to mind...

The alive famous person, I have little interest in them. If they are dead, what I know is only from writings.

Let's pose this answer to people in this criteria:

Any statistician who had been immortalized by their knowledge, methodology, etc.

The question is: How can you bear the weight of knowledge? I am not sure, knowing that I can easily screw with lives with my decision. The expectation that I have to be always right, that kind of thing?

Miharu's Log - Day 19

Let's see.

I picked up a new lens, crizal Eyezen, for my glasses today.

So... yeah. I still don't know what to write. If it is about not gaming, the day counter is already there. Almost 2/9 part there huh.

I'll try to have something to write at the end of this week. 

Oftentimes it helps to just write what your thinking at the moment and how you are feeling. If you start there most of the times ideas come up. But on the other Hand if nothing special happens you aren't forced to write anything. This is jsut how I do it everyday.

Yep, writing about what you're thinking or feeling is a good place to start.

Miharu's Log - Day 20

Let's be positive.

I really don't think that I could do meditation. The benefit is really good. But it is really scary to mess with my own head (with guided meditation). I wonder how the sport athlete do their meditation or mind training. Then again, my reference is from manga.

Damn. To be aware of each of my words, to select the word whether if it is positive or negative words... Is it wrong to try to eliminate negative word from my mind vocabulary? 

So... this one is not positive at all. It gives me feeling of discouragement, like I'm in spiral of failure. 

Mm... I don't really want to experiment with my head, to be honest. But without experimenting, I won't have progress. 

@Primmulla The problem is that the fiction includes other kind of fiction (fan fiction, web fiction)? Those two kind of fiction is extremely accessible, and its quality is not really QCed. Anyway, As I've said, there is no way fiction is bad. This is I always agree with you. But,I consider many things that was done excessively bad. The excessiveness (what should be the word for this?) is what I want to control/moderate. 

For relaxation, I still have my music, either guitar or piano. I never had problem with gaming, 

@hycniejsy, I already used rescuetime for that purpose. If the data can be extracted though... is it?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Miharu's Log - Day 17

So. What do you want to know? I major in statistics. I don't think that statistics is my passion. To be honest, I am more interested in data analysis part in statistics, instead of statistics in its wholesome. I am grateful though for all the knowledge the lecturer taught me.

So, you have problems with fan fiction? what fandom do you particularly enjoy reading? You are worried about the poor quality of fanfiction works you are reading, is that the problem? If you read something which is trash you can always stop, I agree that there is a lot of kitschy fanfic, though there are also many stories which could be publishable if they were not fanfiction. It also depends on the fandom, e.g there is quite a lot of quailty fanfic in Tolkien fandom, especially on websites devoted only to Tolkien fanfic such as Silmarillion Writers' Guild. Do you have some moral qualms about the content of the stories, e.g. erotica or slash? if this is the case, I guess you should stop reading them, though I do not understand your problems with fiction. You read bad quality stories, and you want to stop it, is that right? Honestly, I have idea how one can become addicted to poorly written texts, only well-crafted stories are addictive ;) If you are concerned about the quality of your reading, you can always choose printed books which go through editing process and should be better.

If you do not know what to write about, try freewriting exercise: simply write whatever comes to your mind, without censoring yourself or correcting your grammar, typos etc. Do it for 10 minutes (or longer, if you like, but 10 minutes is the minimum). It helps you focus and understand your emotions and thoughts, and what is the best about it is that you do not have to show it to anyone, you can even throw it away or even tear it apart after you're done with the exercise.