NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

How to help sibling

coccinust

Hello guys. I have a sister (in primary school), that mostly only wants to watch/play on her Ipad after school/weekend. I feel she probably got that from me.

Whilst I have no problem with her using the Ipad sometimes, it's frustrating to know that she is doing the same thing that I was when I was her age-at the start of my addiction, coming back home only to sit on a chair and play MMO's mindlessly.

The content she watches/plays is mostly magic/princess based (e.g. MLP), however she has no motivation to translate that into her own stories or even reading if I encourage her.

I want her to not rely on the Ipad as her only source of entertainment, but I have very little idea about how to do it.

I tried taking it away from her sometime ago, giving various suggestions about other activites. However she made up excuses on how she didn't like any of them and proceeded to cry to our parents for the Ipad back, which they forced me to give. Is brute-forcing it away from her a bad idea?

Please, what should I do? Is there any good guides e.g. blogs or books that I should read?

Thank you!

Hello guys. I have a sister (in primary school), that mostly only wants to watch/play on her Ipad after school/weekend. I feel she probably got that from me.

Whilst I have no problem with her using the Ipad sometimes, it's frustrating to know that she is doing the same thing that I was when I was her age-at the start of my addiction, coming back home only to sit on a chair and play MMO's mindlessly.

The content she watches/plays is mostly magic/princess based (e.g. MLP), however she has no motivation to translate that into her own stories or even reading if I encourage her.

I want her to not rely on the Ipad as her only source of entertainment, but I have very little idea about how to do it.

I tried taking it away from her sometime ago, giving various suggestions about other activites. However she made up excuses on how she didn't like any of them and proceeded to cry to our parents for the Ipad back, which they forced me to give. Is brute-forcing it away from her a bad idea?

Please, what should I do? Is there any good guides e.g. blogs or books that I should read?

Thank you!

Well mostly is a relative term, I presume she's glued to the thing for you to be so worried. Did she grow up with it? Just try and imagine yourself being told by your sister that your MMO was bad for you, talk with your parents and shed some light on the subject is all I can say.

All you can do, in my opinion, is be a good example and not play video games (dont use the ipad for entertainment in this particular case). If her friends are playing with their Ipads too she might have a hard time ditching it and there is little you can do about it , if it is indeed a habit she picked up from you, just your quitting games and finding other interesting activites outside video games and gadgets should be enough to nudge her in the right direction.If you are that concerned about her ipad use, spend a few minuites doing something fun with her when you notice her playing.(Play hide n seek for 5-10 mins,or whatever).

Kids are raised in different environment these days, much in the same way we ( we being millenials) were raised in a different environment than our parents of perhaps our older siblings.Using Ipad for a few minuites to play a game is fine for a kid (although not ideal ofcourse) , but if she is playing for more than 30mins or for hours encourage her to try other activites such playing outside ,sports and whatnot.

It's also possible that she's not vulnerable for video game addictions like you. It might be possible that she enjoys doing this for a while excessively now, but that she gets tired of it after a while, and completely walks away from it. I think that we as former video game addicts, will be more biased to see signs of video game addiction in our environment. So it can be helpful to be aware of this fact.

Offcourse it's also possible that she could use some help and then you can be a good example for her :) . I would not interpret this behavoir dramatic, but you can keep an eye on her or talk with your parents about it.