NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Mike's Journal

Sweetsour

Very happy to have found Cam's video(s) and to be here to start a new life! Before I begin my journal, I invite you to read my prologue that tells the story as to what lead me to this community

PROLOGUE (Part 1)
PROLOGUE (Part 2)

NEW GOALS
My ultimate goal at this point is to keep my new job and move out of my parents' house and get my own place!

Primary Activities

• Workout
  • Read
  • Eat healthy
  • Clean

Secondary Activities

• Wildlife Photography
  • Hangout with friends
  • Join a community sport team

Tertiary Activities

• Movies / Internet
  • Video games / chat with online friends
  • Computer programming

MY JOURNAL

Day One (March 31, 2016)
Started a new job and experienced extreme anxiety and surreality. Realized I have a problem and did some research. Discovered that I am addicted to video games. The hardest moment of my life was convincing myself to not quit this job to go back home and play video games. I'm happy to report that I stuck through it, and the realization after my first shift that I am, in fact, addicted to video games, made it that much more easier.

Day Two (April 1, 2016)

I caved. I quit my job and went back home to play video games and decided this was my new life goal

APRIL FOOLS!

Seriously, though. My second day on the job was far easier, but it was still difficult as my mind was in a constant struggle of weighing pros and cons of not being at home playing video games. The idea of working here was nowhere near as scary as it was yesterday. The most important thing I took from this day, is I'm already feeling progress.

Day Three (April 2, 2016)

Today started out as a good day, in that I didn't have to wake up stupid early for a breakfast shift. My mind felt clearer than it has in a long time. The thought of grabbing a quick breakfast and immediately heading to my PC to play video games was not there. Instead, I decided to go to the local conservation area to do some more wildlife photography. The emphasis on this point, is that I haven't gone out to do wildlife photography for at least half a year - maybe longer. I got a couple good shots, but my main goal today was just to be outside and bask in the glory of mother nature once again.

BONUS: Here's my favorite photo that I took today!

Day Four (April 3, 2016)

Today I started to read again! I've only ever read a handful of books in my life. When I think about books and the times I've read them, I find it to be an odd situation. Every time I read a book that I enjoyed, I remember having amazing visual thoughts that painted the mental picture(s) that drove the book and story forward for me. Though, when it came to starting a new book, I wouldn't have it. The book I'm reading is part of the Warcraft lore. I read the "War of the Ancients" trilogy many years ago and I thought it was an absolutely incredible read (I recommend it to anyone!). The book I've started today continues that story. I'm excited to see the story unfold as I've wanted to all this time.

Additionally, I played my Wii-U for the first time in a long time. Sure, this may sound like I'm going against the grain here, but the reality is I haven't touched my Wii-U in many months because my gaming addiction is with PC gaming. So playing a video games that's not on the PC is a step forward for me.

Day Eight (April 7, 2016)

Phew, looks like I missed a couple of days! I've been so busy with my new job that I've either forgotten to, or didn't really have much to tell; so I figure I'll kind of lump the past phew days up into today!

This past week, I've worked Tuesday and Wednesday, both 8 hour days. I'm working again today. I kept Monday rather uneventful, to give myself a bit of a break. Though, one thing I can say for sure, is Tuesday was still as rough as the previous week's shifts; still a constant battle in my mind of whether or not I should keep the job, or just quit and go home to play video games. Thankfully, yesterday was a major improvement. I've quickly become comfortable with the hours, and the idea of me being the main kitchen personnel during that shift is appealing. In fact, yesterday was the first day where I hadn't tried convincing myself that I should be at home. It was the first day where I thought: "you know, I think I can do this!". It helps that everyone's very nice and supportive.

Additionally, I've been putting a lot of time into my latest Warcraft book. It's so awesome! Having played Blizzard game since they first came out, I hold the Warcraft franchise close to my heart. Playing the Warcraft games, especially WoW for the past 10 1/2 years, reading about the in depth background story really brings the game(s) to life. I'm definitely loving it and am looking forward to continuing the story with the next titles :D 

So far so good :)

Day Nine (April 8, 2016)

Today I've realized that I'm starting to like my job. Parts of me still cringe at its repetitiveness, but I do well either way. In fact, I've been told that I've been the quickest person they've had pick up kitchen work, in terms of retaining how to build the food items as well as speed. All I have to say to that, is thank you video games for the amazing hand-eye coordination and visual memory! :P

Not much else is new, but I have the new three days off, that I'm really looking forward to! My feet really need a break, man they got really sore from working all this past week! Hoping to get back out to get more wildlife photography done when my feet feel better. 

Day Eighteen (April 17, 2016)

Things have been doing really well for me lately. I've begun to enjoy my job and the people I work with. It's hard work, but the shifts go by very quickly as a result. Though, I cut my finger pretty badly a couple days ago at the beginning of my shift and I was asked if I wanted to go home. Obviously, the thought of going back home to play video games had crossed my mind, but I decided to fight through the pain and continue my shift. It just so happened that the shift was insanely busy and I had to stay an extra hour. My manager was very pleased with me the next day.

I've been reading a lot more with my Warcraft lore. There's so much to it that it frequently branches off to new areas of the lore, but I'm really enjoying it. A lot of the reading right now is timeline lore that takes place between books, so I can't wait to start my next book!

Today I went to the local conservation area again, but I spent 2 hours there and walked 4.5 km (~3 miles). I didn't get any worthwhile shots, but it was still a great time because it was such a beautiful day and it's the first time it's been this warm!

Edited by Sweetsour
Day Eighteen added

• Guest featured and pinned this topic

Hey, I inspired a format! :P

Good to have you here, man. You and I actually started the same day - my last day gaming was March 30.

I feel you on the new job anxiety. I've been a lifeguard for eleven years, and only briefly tried anything else. Three years ago I quit a full-time job cleaning planes and fueling ground equipment at the airport after only two weeks.

I know it may be a bit early to ask this, but what are your goals after you move out of your parents' place? I know you say it's your ultimate goal, but that, to me, sounds like step one. Granted, it's a great step one and a big one at that, but then what?

That's a fair question. I guess saying "ultimate" was a bit heavy handed lol. I'm planning on working at my current job for about a year or two; it's by no means permanent. I'm working on getting my A+ Certification, and I'd like to get a job in the I.T. field.

OMG you totally got me! I just screamed NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO in this coffee shop. lol. Fuck. Not cool. :D

For context, I used to have panic attacks before every shift of work wherein I would vomit in the shower. So although you can feel a lot of anxiety right now, it can get better!

Great to have you here with us and hope to read more of your updates. The community here is very engaged in your success. :)

Thanks!

When I had gone out that day to take pictures, I had doubts on my abilities, due to how long it's been since I've last been out. So I figured that I was rusty and that I wasn't going to get any good shots. 

Capturing that photo really helped me feel clearer and better. :)

• Guest unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Glad to see things are going well. Reading is a great way to pass the time without gaming. So much entertainment at a fraction of the cost of a video game! Even better if it's something you're really into. You end up having fun without the guilt of having wasted hours of your day on something unproductive. Plus, if your endorsement is to be believed, the Warcraft books are probably a lot better than the Mass Effect books. (Hint: They kinda suck)

Keep it up, man!

Yea, I wasn't a fan of the Mass Effect books. I LOVED the game(s). I put so many hours into the second one, haha. 

But yea, the story behind me starting the Warcraft books was kinda funny. A friend of brother's got him into WoW; and in turn myself. After about a year of playing, this friend recommended that I read the "War of the Ancients" trilogy. Me not being a reader, at the time, by any means, kinda pushed it off for some time. I eventually started the first book and I was hooked.

He lent me the first two of the three books because the third hadn't been released yet. To my luck, by the time I finished the second book (which was maybe 2-3 days per book), the third one had released a week prior. So I didn't waste any time in buying it. This was my first ever novel purchase. 

I've recommended this trilogy to many who are also into the Warcraft games/lore. It was such an incredible read!

Will be surely an adjusting time for your feet because you have to stand all the time in the kitchen. I heard from a friendwho works in gastronomic service that these foot soreness gets better after a month or so as your body sdjusts to the stess of permant standing. Great that you're job goes fine. Soon it is paycheck time! 

Absolutely. It's like anything new that the body encounters; there will be a time to adapt to each change. Though, it's quite remarkable at how the body can adapt so quickly. Either way, it definitely hasn't helped that I spent most of the past year sitting for the majority of each day, haha