NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

How to Set Goals

Cam Adair

Great Video.I have a couple questions.

I've set a few goals witha deadline and even though I've made significant progress on them and myself on that field I have failed to meet the deadline.

I admit I have not tried with accountability partner.I'm trying to hold myself accountable,I'm quite satisfied with the progress I'm doing but I'm curious If I would be making faster progress with an "accountability partner".

So the question is what happens when we fail to meet the goals on the specific deadline?

And how can you find people that will hold you accountable?Do they have to be mentor's or just any well disciplined and sincere person in our lives willing to help will do?

Great Video.I have a couple questions.

I've set a few goals witha deadline and even though I've made significant progress on them and myself on that field I have failed to meet the deadline.

I admit I have not tried with accountability partner.I'm trying to hold myself accountable,I'm quite satisfied with the progress I'm doing but I'm curious If I would be making faster progress with an "accountability partner".

So the question is what happens when we fail to meet the goals on the specific deadline?

And how can you find people that will hold you accountable?Do they have to be mentor's or just any well disciplined and sincere person in our lives willing to help will do?

Failing to meet a specific deadline for a goal is not the end of the world. As long as it gets done, that's something to be proud of no matter what.

One thing I learned when I was working for Primerica that my team members often repeated was that if you aim for the stars (have many great ambitions), you'll inevitably hit the moon (at least some of them will get accomplished).

Dream big. Be unreasonable in your goals. Don't let anyone tell you that something is impossible, or that you shouldn't want something that is important to you. People that tell you that are often the same ones that have no dreams or ambitions of their own and seeing you very enthusiastic about things you want in your life reminds them of their own inadequacy.

To directly answer some of your questions:

1) The speed at which you make progress is irrelevant, IMO. As long as the pace you're going at is good enough for you, that's all that matters. Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't making progress fast enough. The important part is going at a pace that you're comfortable with. I learned through my own experience that trying to do too much, too fast often ends up with you getting burnt out.

So, it's possible that working with an accountability partner might help you make faster progress. That being said, you need to decide if it's the right thing for you. My personal experience so far is that it's extremely useful, but that's just my own experience. Try it out and see if it works for you.

2) As far as what happens if you don't meet a specific deadline, I think it might be a good idea to analyze why that happened. There's a chance that not meeting that deadline is not a negative thing. It might turn out that it was unrealistic for you to accomplish that goal within the timeframe you set out, or perhaps you underestimated the resources you required to reach that deadline in time. The important part isn't to view this as a failure, but as a learning experience to help you in setting goals for the future.

When it comes to failing to meet deadlines, one way you can encourage yourself to meet the deadline is to set a STAKE - a consequence (ideally publicly) of failign to meet your goal. Tim Ferriss talks about this so you can read more about it here.

I've never been a fan of negative reinforcement but maybe it works for some people.

When it comes to failing to meet deadlines, one way you can encourage yourself to meet the deadline is to set a STAKE - a consequence (ideally publicly) of failign to meet your goal. Tim Ferriss talks about this so you can read more about it here.

I've never been a fan of negative reinforcement but maybe it works for some people.

Accountability :)