NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Becoming a Game Dev: Yay or Nay

Cam Adair

It was the reason I relapsed definitely a few months ago.

It felt like I would be doing something, creating something. Yes, there's a lot of creative potential behind games, but there are several problems. If you want to make good games you need to play a lot, to know what is being made in the industry, to have a way to see your progress... however as you pointed, jaylajkosz, it's hypocritical. You're contributing to the very problem you're trying to escape from. It's somewhat why I didn't felt very good in giving or selling some of my gaming stuff, it's feeding someone else addiction.

If you want to make good game, people need to stay in them. Them being fun is not subjective, it's scientific : the "funniest" or at least the most addictive games are those who constantly praise you, gives you goal, make you move "forward" (in the game only)... there's all the positive reinforcement, all the sick things like Skinner's box...

Work in CS ? Yes. In development ? Yes. In games ? No. I might be wrong, but as far as I'm concerned this apply completely to me.

It was the reason I relapsed definitely a few months ago.

It felt like I would be doing something, creating something. Yes, there's a lot of creative potential behind games, but there are several problems. If you want to make good games you need to play a lot, to know what is being made in the industry, to have a way to see your progress... however as you pointed, jaylajkosz, it's hypocritical. You're contributing to the very problem you're trying to escape from. It's somewhat why I didn't felt very good in giving or selling some of my gaming stuff, it's feeding someone else addiction.

If you want to make good game, people need to stay in them. Them being fun is not subjective, it's scientific : the "funniest" or at least the most addictive games are those who constantly praise you, gives you goal, make you move "forward" (in the game only)... there's all the positive reinforcement, all the sick things like Skinner's box...

Work in CS ? Yes. In development ? Yes. In games ? No. I might be wrong, but as far as I'm concerned this apply completely to me.

Thanks for sharing!