NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My journal - QuercusIlexBallota

QuercusIlexBallota

DAY 11 (2016/03/29, Tuesday): 

Today I had decided that I need a job! I spent the whole morning working with university stuff, a quite productive morning. I had time to go to the gym, read and see my gf. And yet there still was a good amount of time untouched!

I have created accounts in three job-hunting websites and designed the best CV I could. Tomorrow I will print a few copies and try my luck with the local businesses. Let's farm some real life gold! (hopefully)

Wow, I just realized I'm already at day 11. This is going on more smoothly than I thought. :o

DAY 13 (2016/03/31, Thursday): 

DAY 14 (2016/04/01, Friday): 

DAY 15 (2016/04/02, Saturday): 
I've been having some family... "disagreements"... lately. More reason to find a job soon. I'm starting to think that nurturing some savings is the wisest thing I can do now. No games played, though! 

DAY 16 (2016/04/03, Sunday): 

These past days I've been listening to some talks by Thich Nhat Hanh (his book The Miracle of Mindfulness was amazing! I’m halfway No Mud, No Lotus: The Art of Transforming Suffering right now and that one is also amazing!) and I believe this sentence of his sits perfectly with this website's purpose:

When you spend three hours with your computer you completely forget that you have a body, and when the mind is not with the body you are not truly alive.” (Link here: https://youtu.be/RVYnN8mBejY?t=2567).

It's been an acceptable day. Now I will make a cup of green tea and enjoy it calmly. Thank you all!

• 4 weeks later...

DEFEAT (THIS IS MERELY A SETBACK!)

A couple of weeks ago I failed my detox. The situation at home was becoming increasingly unbearable and I sank into Azeroth running away from reality. I want to start anew but I have one question. I signed up for the detox study, in the last survey I informed that I relapsed and was playing about 6 hours a day (I think). I'm curious, when the next survey comes up will there be an option for "failed the detox and started anew"? If not, telling the survey that I'm currently playing 0 hours a day will do the trick? Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

21 DAYS REPORT!

Hi, it's been awhile! It's been three weeks. It's funny, I wasn't actively counting the days. I wanted to tell you how I'm doing and I went to the reddit bot... and it seems it's been this long. I may have not written as much as I should, but I wanted to tell you that I'm still game-free since april 28th. ^_^

I've taken a rather different approach than last time. In my first attempt with the detox I thought about it every day, multiple times an hour. It wasn't a bad thing, I was on my way to achieve this new objective. This second try is being different. After my first failure I told you that "I wanted to start anew", and so I did. I stopped gaming and started to hit the gym and the college stuff, and I didn't thought much about the detox. I didn't write anything here. When I had urges to play I quietly ignored them and went on with what I was doing at the time. Today I was thinking that I've done more in the last couple of months than I would have thought possible before finding this page (well, it's subreddit).

I put myself in the skin of someone new who finds this journal and the only thing that comes to my mind is "this guy tried, failed, claimed he was going to try once more and was never seen again". :S I wanted to say thanks to you all, for existing, for posing this task (this detox), for your support and for being willing to help people improve their lives. And if someone new over here is reading this, I encourage you to try with all your hearth. It's amazing the ammount of time that one has when he frees himself of this kind of behavior. Time to improve one's relationships with his loved ones, time to improve one's body and health, time to improve one's career... time to serve a better purpose. 

To end, I wanted to share a quote I read in a motivational board in the gym: "discipline is doing what needs to be done, even if you don't want to do it" 

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to tell you. At the beginning of this year I was facing 4 failed subjects, 2 huge assignments at college and a terribly clouded mind with which to face them: I couldn’t muster enough concentration to work on my schoolyear but I had a couple of max level characters on World of Warcraft with tons of gold!

One day, while farming something to sell on the game auction house, I decided to listen to a new podcast: The Minimalists. This guys were talking about things they were doing to improve their lives… and there I was in the meanwhile, slaughtering virtual beings to gather virtual resources to sell to get virtual money, great! I decided that that needed to stop: I should spend my time improving my life, and videogames where clearly on the way.

At mid-March I discovered the existence of r/stopgaming and started the detox right away. Doing this I realised how diminished my attention span was: I wasn’t able to read a book for more than 20 minutes. How could I possibly save the semester with that? Sadly, half a month later I relapsed due to problems at home. I sought refuge on videogames, playing them almost all my waking hours during three weeks.

Things at home went back to their normal state and I discovered with terror that I was in the same place I was at new year, but the exams and assignments where only at 2 months distance. 27/08/2016 I started the second detox. I discovered a bunch of channels on youtube, like Thomas Frank (English), Mariana (English) or Valentí Sanjuan(Spanish), that have been a huge source of motivation and a reminder of what I wanted to do with this two months. I purged any videogame related thing from my computer and my room, to avoid as many triggers as possible.

It’s been a stressful journey, but today I ended it: I have successfully graduated college!