NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Nick's Daily Journal

Falky

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful that your "Twitch research" isn't justification to just watch streams all day.

Lol it isn't exactly fun Cam, the majority of the time im analyzing how they interact with chat, checking overlays and graphics and checking game popularity. Then learning about different bots and settings.

I also did all of this research after I done my main work i needed to get done anyways.

Day 69 - Standard Day

I managed to do some work today and a lot of research complete, so pretty good. I've been watching game play pretty much all day and no urges what-so-ever. Excellent :)

I am always wondering how this can be possible. Watched a lot of game plays lately bu I use it to procrastinate. The result of this behaviour is that I now have to fight off cravings again :( Guess different people different reactions. I am glad things go your way soon you made it!

Yup. To be fair though I've had a lot of willpower experience through battling my anxiety mate. I learnt that I couldn't detach from my anxiety...I have to battle and push against it each day to finally win.

I used the same tactic with my game detox as well. I watch game plays, reviews and broadcasts etc to challenge my willpower, but not at the extent where I have to play. I perhaps only watched one video of game-play each day at the beginning of my detox. Then increased watch-time until eventually I now have no massive urges to play.

Each day you fight the urge, your willpower becomes a lot stronger. This is why a lot of people who come off detoxes, just go straight back to gaming at long lengths because they aren't challenging the willpower. If you completely detach from games, all you are doing is running away from the problem you was trying to solve in the first place.

This is just my take on the whole detox anyways :) I suppose I'm lucky (in a way) that I had anxiety so i developed quite a bit of tenacity and willpower to beat it.

Day 70 - Not Long To Go Now!

I woke up this morning in soaked wet with sweat from a nightmare I had. Can you guess what it was? Yeah. I dreampt I played games at this late stage of detox lol, that's probably like the 4th time I've had that dream now. I must be dreaming at each milestone or something xD

So far so good though, I plan to do some work today and then learn something new. Check out the tank footage I shot at Tiger Day below :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfCAddUjnsQ&list=PLXUOkuIdPIC8OA__Cv3m6ylUysKEQ2nde&index=17

What I'm Grateful For:

• Clothing
  • Shaver
  • Chromebook

I'll catch you guys soon :)

Day 71 - Rearranging Le House

Today Sam & I decided to rearrange the house so it's now a bit more spacious and my computer is in the bedroom. I needed the computer in a separate room from the living room because I was finding that I was becoming distracted too often by the Mrs and the TV.

Now it's in there I can just close the door and work away. Distraction-free work environment at it's finest lol. Before we started on the house work, I managed to do quite a bit of work so was quite happy with that.

Apart from the aforementioned there's not much else to discuss to be honest.

What I'm Grateful For:

• Online Food Services
  • My Bed
  • YouTube
  • Paint.net

Managing your distractions and creating a clean and quiet work environment is huge. Awesome that you were able to prioritize that.

Also, Paint.net is a great piece of free software! I'm surprised I don't see it mentioned more frequently.

Managing your distractions and creating a clean and quiet work environment is huge. Awesome that you were able to prioritize that.

Also, Paint.net is a great piece of free software! I'm surprised I don't see it mentioned more frequently.

Yarp agreed. The set-up that I have now, is what I used to have in my old house so should be able to get more done each day now.

Yeah Paint.net is awesome, it has everything an amateur graphics designer needs. I made an awesome logo today, I'll post it either later on or tomorrow. :)

Day 72 - Productive Day Finally!

For the first time since I've been in the new house, I've felt in control of my work-day. In the space of 2-3 hours I've got more done than I would of done in the space of 8 hours if that makes sense?

#FeelsGoodMan 

I'm writing this journal around lunch time, now I have a bit of down-time and I've done everything I planned to do today already. All I that I have planned now is doing a bit of Bonsai Practice and Speaking practice.

Since I'll be trying my hand at Twitch Streaming, I want to try and improve my speaking skills a lot more. I have trouble in speaking fluently sometimes and I struggle to speak what I'm thinking. Whereas writing it's so much easier for me.

So over the next month or so, this will be something I'll want to improve. Anyhow that's it for today, detox and work is going well! :)

Speak to you all soon!

What I'm Grateful For:

• Sausage Sarnie
  • Pen & Paper
  • Cleaning Products

Today's Agenda:

• Write In Journal
  • Finish Off Twitch Logo
  • Create & Upload New Video
  • Join A Bonsai Forum & Ask For Some Advice
  • Research & Practice Speaking Skills
  • Clean House

@Falky I've enjoyed reading your story - I really like that you put your goals in each post.  I'm often improvising my goals for the day, but that usually leaves big jobs not started or not done.

I guess I'm afraid if they don't get done, it's like admitting I'm failing, bad at goals or something.  

I like that you planned and executed a big trip, and since I work a stressful job, that you are working on passive income streams.  Where should someone start on passive income?

Way to go!

@Falky I've enjoyed reading your story - I really like that you put your goals in each post.  I'm often improvising my goals for the day, but that usually leaves big jobs not started or not done.

I guess I'm afraid if they don't get done, it's like admitting I'm failing, bad at goals or something.  

I like that you planned and executed a big trip, and since I work a stressful job, that you are working on passive income streams.  Where should someone start on passive income?

Way to go!

Cheers man, I always find if I do the biggest task first the rest of goals are easier in comparison. I also write my goals down in a handwritten book too. This further cements a commitment to follow-through with them. 

Don't ever be afraid to fail in completing a goal, just keep it written down and do it the next day. Any goal is a great goal, all that changes is how long it takes to finish it. 

In regards to the passive income streams...what are you good at and what do you enjoy are the two biggest questions. What-ever you do though, don't quit your job straight away like I did lol.

I'm starting to earn money via books I've written, YouTube Videos I've monetized, Website Ads etc. It's a real long and hard journey but it pays off in the long-run.

Read the 4 hour work week by Tim Ferris, to get an idea what you can do.

Day 73 - Another Day Closer

I spoke about speaking confidence and skills in another post and one of my tasks I'm thinking about doing each week is to speak on camera and perhaps uploading it to YouTube.

My aim is to improve a few aspects of the way I talk, such as:

• Articulation
  • How Loud I Speak
  • Fluency
  • Maintaining A Continuous Rhythm and Conversation

I've definitely improved my speech skills, If I look at my early videos on YouTube I can definitely see a difference. I just need to master it now :) To do that I have to practice, practice and practice some more.

So I may do a new playlist on YouTube and every Saturday I upload a short video of me speaking. Time will tell.

Anyways I'm another day closer to finishing my detox and I must admit it's dragging quite a bit now. The first month was pretty easy. I'm coming up to my final two weeks and I've nearly done what I couldn't do before :)

We normally encounter struggle when we are just about to achieve success. So just have to stick in there and carry on self-improving and working on a better life. I have my nephew over tonight for a sleepover and I'm going to chill with him whilst he plays on the Playstation.

I said to my Fiancee, though I cant physically play the game I can chill with him and point out what he has to do etc. As long as I don't pick up the controller and play the game it's all good lol.

If I ended up playing, It would just undo everything I have worked for during this detox. I have 17 days to go and there's no stopping now.

But yeah that's all to say for today's log. I'll chat to you soon folks.

What I'm Grateful For:

• Nephew
  • Macdonalds (in 17 days I wont be seeing Macdonalds for a long time!)
  • Bonsai
  • Friendly Neighbours

Today's Agenda:

• Write In Journal
  • Do Some Business Stuff
  • Speak in front of the camera for 2 minutes and practice speech.
  • Learn a new skill.

If you want you could upload this video here and people could comment on your speaking skills.

Maybe some of our more experienced public speakers(cam for example) will surely have some helpful things to say or mistakes to point out you wouldn't notic.

That could be a plan batman!

Is there a toastmasters near you? That would be good!

Aye there's a speaker club relatively near me, just means I need to find travel and money.

Day 74 - Frustrated

I had fun last night with my lil nephew whilst he played the playstation. I not once I played a game and feel pretty good apart from the frustration. You see my nephew and my Fiancee aren't the most game adept.

I'm sitting here whilst they are failing over and over again whilst I'm sitting there helpless because I couldn't play. It would take me a fraction of the time to do what they do. Oh well.

I got woken up today at the crack of dawn because for some reason kids don't know how to sleep in lool! The plan for today is to, maybe take a walk, edit some videos and do some graphics design.

Anyways that's it for now, im going to go and get ready for the day.

What I'm Grateful For:

• Not having kids (just yet)
  • My willpower
  • This forum

Today's Agenda:

• Go For A Walk
  • Do some video editing
  • Do some graphic design
  • House-work
  • Relax

Day 75 - So Close But Yet So Far!

One more day then I have 2 weeks dead on until I complete this 90 day detox. This would be the first time in my whole 25 years of being on this planet that I've stuck with something like this. To be completely honest with you it feels fantastic. I feel so in control of my life at the moment. As soon at the 90 day is reached, I think something inside of me will engage I just become a snowball of growing willpower.

I need something like this in my life to show that I can do something that requires a bit of willpower. It was the same with my anxiety and the same will hold true for willpower. Anyways the weekend so far has gone really good. I've had the normal cravings to play because of my nephew and Mrs playing the PlayStation 4, but handled them well. Yesterday I spent the majority of the day just, learning about bonsai. (Below is my bonsai which is a work in progress)

Today I have the parents coming over for Sunday dinner and I have some house-work planned. apart from that nothing else to report on :)

What I'm Grateful For:

• Left-over morning pizza breakfast
  • ice cold drinks
  • birds chirping
  • my journey

Today's Agenda:

• Relax
  • Garden Work
  • House Work

20160514_124247.jpg

You want to notice that your increased willpower came from one source: your COMMITMENT.

If you want more willpower in the future, you need to focus on what your COMMITMENTS are. You committed to 90 days no questions about it. So your willpower has been stronger when you've needed it. YOU HAD COMMITMENT.

Falky that Bonsai tree is looking awesome!  I would like to get into some gardening myself...probably plant some herbs because they are so expensive to purchase. 

Two weeks left until you finish the detox!  You've made a lot of strides in your life since Day One.  ^_^

You want to notice that your increased willpower came from one source: your COMMITMENT.

If you want more willpower in the future, you need to focus on what your COMMITMENTS are. You committed to 90 days no questions about it. So your willpower has been stronger when you've needed it. YOU HAD COMMITMENT.

Amen brother, just realizing that now :) It's all about the commitment to a goal that I set myself. This is the biggest thing I've learnt since starting this detox and why i plan to carry it over into my other endeavors, such as weight loss and learning Spanish.

Falky that Bonsai tree is looking awesome!  I would like to get into some gardening myself...probably plant some herbs because they are so expensive to purchase. 

Two weeks left until you finish the detox!  You've made a lot of strides in your life since Day One.  ^_^

Thanks Danni. :D It's still a wee bit messy, but that's the beauty with bonsai. You take your time, learn everything then tackle it when you feel ready. If you are the DIY type then try out this for a project.

A Mason Jar Herb Garden - http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-10325/diy-build-a-mason-jar-herb-garden.html

Yeah I definitely have, to be honest I needed this detox big time! I've learnt so much about myself, it's definitely been something I wont regret.

Day 76 - Two Weeks Left!

As I sit here writing this I'm thinking to myself how far I have come. Close to 3 months ago I was getting angry and going no where in life. Fast forward to today and I'm more focused, strong, clear-minded and grateful for life. When I used to game I masked my emotions by playing those games and didn't really give my body and mind the chance to help itself.

If anyone is reading this who hasn't finished or started the detox...it was the best thing I could do. I won't go into any more detail here because I need to save some words for my 90 days celebration post. ;) B| Let's just say I'm feeling good! lol

After I written today's journal entry, I'm going to relax for 30 minutes, drink my caffeine and write my goals and tasks for today. Then It's into the bedroom, close the door, headphones on and work time!

But yeah feeling good at the moment :) Cya all soon.

What I'm Grateful For:

• This Detox
  • Kind People
  • My Fiancee
  • Ice Cold Drinks (yeah I hate hot drinks If you haven't guessed already ^^)

Today's Agenda:

• Film & Edit VLog
  • Work on graphics for Twitch Channel
  • Write In Journal
  • Compile footage for my next tech solutions video.

Day 77 - Thinking About The Future

This morning I woke up and did my normal routine of grabbing breakfast and relaxing with some caffeine intake. I went into a deep thought state where I think about past, present and future. I started to think about what my life will be like after I finish my game detox and what it's going to feel like to game again. A part of me is excited. But also a part of me is nervous and anxious of what will happen.

I can remember vividly what it feels to game. The rush of logging into a new game and battling the first creature. The euphoria of downing that first boss you encounter. Then at the end of the day I would log off, feeling exhausted and wondering where the day went.

I think over the next couple of weeks I need to learn about moderation and such If I'm to do Twitch Streaming, this is where this journal will come into effect. In here I can keep track of gaming times and make sure I'm working on at least two things to better myself. This was one of the reason I started the detox. I wasn't working on myself or working hard enough, instead I was working on getting my next tier tank in World Of Tanks.

If I could learn to manage my game hours to a certain amount, then that will be a major success for me personally. I will work these hours out in the coming week or so. If I do find myself struggling I will quickly go on another detox of such and work it all out.

Anyhooooo, yesterday went well. I managed to learn lot's about graphics etc in Paint.net and managed to create a decent enough logo for the moment. I'll see If I can attach what I made later when I'm on my main computer. I got my fiancee to walk to the shop with me in the day and that was nice too.

That's all for the moment though, I'll catch you all tomorrow. :)

What I'm Grateful For:

• My Willpower
  • My Strength
  • Helpful People
  • Fresh Air

Today's Agenda:

• Create Information Art For Twitch Channel
  • Write In Journal
  • Read A Chapter Of A Book. (Probably going to be How To Win Friends & Influence People)
Edited by Falky

Day 78 - Becoming a Recluse

As this detox has gone on, I've noticed that I've stopped talking to friends (RL and on the net). Is this perhaps because all my friends play games and I'm subconsciously avoiding them or am I just becoming so self absorbed that I can't be bothered to talk? Perhaps this detox has been the equivalent of someone's solitary meditation retreat lol?

I've learnt a lot about myself and experienced a life without gaming so I think that this is just part of the process for me. I'll try to reach out over the next few days and try to contact some friends though.

Today I need to write a blog and do some other stuff, but not much of an entry today. I will just spend most of today thinking about things and i suppose in a sense meditating.

I'll see you folks soon. :)

What I'm Grateful For:

• Fiancee
  • Toast and Jam
  • Music
  • Oxygen

Today's Agenda:

• Write Blog On Patience & Consistency
  • Write In Journal
  • Reflect On Life
  • Twitch Work

Usually when you go through a transition like this you will also go through a transition with your current group of friends. Normal.

Yeah I thought as much.

Day 79 - <Insert Title Here>

Yesterday went really well. I manged to get a lot work done that I needed and I read some more of my book. I had hardly any game urges which is good.

Today my plan is going to be to relax the majority of the day and learn new stuff. Not much to log today to be honest.

What I'm Grateful For:

• Ice Cold Coke
  • Crisps (chips)
  • Life

Today's Agenda:

• Relax
  • Learn something new
  • Write in journal
  • Read a chapter of my book

Day 80 - So Close It's Becoming Scary

Yesterday went as expected and I was fine with that. I spent most of the day relaxing with my Fiancee and then half way through the day her Uncle popped over to deliver Bella a dog. They asked us to look after her for a long weekend because the male dog in their house keeps trying to mate with her lol.

20160520_104001.thumb.jpg.0bd668a480027d

She was showing me what to write haha :P

The only trouble we had though is that she started whining and barking in the middle of the night, I'm assuming because of a strange place and no one was around. So Sam and I had some broken sleep which isn't good.

I woke up today to an empty house because Sam has gone around to my mum's to go shopping and It's nice to have a bit of alone time to think. I've spent an hour just listening to actualized.org on YouTube whilst having breakfast and thinking about things. It's nice to have a bit of reflection time to myself. But I've mainly been thinking about whether or not I should do my last week of the detox without going on the internet and spending it on meditating and such.

This may not be the best idea work-wise though, so I may just put a time limit on how much internet I use per day. Perhaps an hour or two of browsing after work.

On a different subject I think I may have to cut out caffeine. My dad had heart problems, such as palpitations and tight chest through years of late nights, coke, Lucozade etc. I've been getting palpitations more often now, so it may be a sign to give up the energy drinks =/

Perhaps this may be a silver lining though because it could be the drinks that are making feel slow etc. Oh well. Soon I will be cleaning up my diet and etc so I'm hoping that makes me feel better.

Ok I just became totally distracted and done the house work lol...feel a bit better now :D

Anyways today is housework day and reflection I guess, with learning stuff on the side.

What I'm Grateful For:

• Animals
  • Fresh Air
  • My Intuition