NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

you are not lazy

Cam Adair

Hello Cam,

I have listened to your talk and sadly I do not agree with you. First of all, why do you use phrase "we gamers" since game quitters do not identify as gamers anymore, it is the whole point of quitting games is to find a new identification rather than a gamer. Secondly, I do not know how you define laziness, but laziness does not equal lying on the bed staring on the ceiling ;) If we define laziness as devoting one's time to unproductive activities, then gamers definitely are lazy, since gaming is an unproductive waste of time. The way I see laziness is that a lazy person spends most of their time on entertainment, be it games or TV series, as it was in my case. Entertainment is OK, as long as it is used as it should be, that is, as a way to rest after work, not instead it. Entertainment is entertainment, and people who spend most of their time on entertainment, no matter how dedicated they are to it, are simply lazy. This is of course only my humble opinion, though I would like to know how you and other members of this forum define laziness.

Thanks Primmulla. I wasn't referring to laziness as in whether or not you are doing something productive. I was speaking more to the identity gamers have as being lazy - which because that is your identity your behavior aligns within it.

I think "laziness" is one of the biggest cop-outs and ways to avoid taking responsibility there is.

So, you were thinking more along the lines: "because gamers are considered to be lazy people, they tend to behave lazily because they believe in this assumption"? Do I understand you correctly? Though I still believe that a person who spends most of their time on entertainment is definitely lazy.

I experienced this. I'm really not lazy, at all. When there's something to do, I dig into it.

I used to confuse my overwhelming cravings for video games with being lazy.

If my addiction was instead smoking, I would never have identified with being lazy. Also, I know multiple professors who still chronically procrastinate - they're all highly accomplished, non-lazy people.

Its so insidious how little things get inside of your head. My best defense against this is to simply stop identifying as anything in particular. I find that I have the greatest freedom when I do as I choose, not based on some imaginary role (literally, roles are imaginary, limiting categories).