NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

20 yo in Uni - roommate old 'friend' gamer

blade_1993

hi there, im in Uni, and my roommate is a guy ive known for a large part of my life, we played a lot of games, from mmorpgs to anything else...the thiing is, i no longer click with him...since joining uni ive got new interests in guitar, languages and other things, my whole perception of life is differrrent to him..whereas he is still really immature and plays games all the time...to make it worse, he uses voice IP with another friend i have who is also still playing games...so im listening to them talk about their games a lot...and im in my room, just feeling trapped...i want more from life and want to live more interestingly...am i the one who is wierd? am i being too mature? i dont know,,im going through a lot of changes and discoveries about my life, i used to be depressed and fap a lot, but im on No Fap too  and i wanna improve myself...i feel as though my whole life is changing...its got to the point where being around that roommate friend is draining me..and making me sad..i wanna break free from him, but i dont know how? can you answer my questions thanks

• Guest featured this topic

since joining uni I've got new interests in guitar, languages and other things, my whole perception of life is differrent
I'm going through a lot of changes and discoveries about my life, I used to be depressed...
I wanna improve myself...I feel as though my whole life is changing..

These are all really good things! You're on the right track!

Can you get out of the flat more? Can you shift your schedule around a little bit, so that you're not there when he does VoIP? Can you move out of the flat? Can you talk to someone about this in person? Do you have other friends who you can hang out with? My uni has therapy sessions, I talk about that a little bit in my journal. Does your uni have a similar structure out there?

I know you wanted answers, and I just gave you more questions, sorry if it's not helpful. One thing I can tell you is that you can always embrace the changes. Growth is not always comfortable, quite the opposite actually, and you'll experience a lot of negative feelings that didn't happen before. Hang in there :)

But if your roommate is draining you, the first step you can take is to find ways how to be around him less. Don't try to change him, as that doesn't always work, try to set an example for him. Go to the library, look for clubs to join, go to a cafe and read a book, try a new sport. I'm also 20, also at university, so I'm also just figuring these things out :) 

Something that might be useful: How to get out of the house more often

Good luck!

Edited by Suritus

hi there, im in Uni, and my roommate is a guy ive known for a large part of my life, we played a lot of games, from mmorpgs to anything else...the thiing is, i no longer click with him...since joining uni ive got new interests in guitar, languages and other things, my whole perception of life is differrrent to him..whereas he is still really immature and plays games all the time...to make it worse, he uses voice IP with another friend i have who is also still playing games...so im listening to them talk about their games a lot...and im in my room, just feeling trapped...i want more from life and want to live more interestingly...am i the one who is wierd? am i being too mature? i dont know,,im going through a lot of changes and discoveries about my life, i used to be depressed and fap a lot, but im on No Fap too  and i wanna improve myself...i feel as though my whole life is changing...its got to the point where being around that roommate friend is draining me..and making me sad..i wanna break free from him, but i dont know how? can you answer my questions thanks

Jim Rohn said you are the average of the 5 people you spend most of your time with.People who we interact with subtly influence us,for good or bad.It's good that you are aware of the influence your roomate has over you and the impact he has on your life.You should try to limit your time with him and find more friends with a similar mindset.

The internet is a good place to find people with similar mindset.I can only tell you about what worked for me.. discovering idividuals over the internet who pull me up, who support me and encourage me and aspire me  to grow and become more has helped me a lot to preserve all the crap that I and everyone else go through in daily life.

(For more information ,check out a thread about personal developement http://forum.gamequitters.com/topic/1317-self-developement/ .

Last but not least , you have to find your own path and your own truth.Put your self out there and you'll find out that are people who wont like you not matter what and others that will like you no matter what and will want to hang around and help you!Keep in mind "Those Who Mind Don’t Matter, and Those Who Matter Don’t Mind"

Cheers

Edited by addict10n

awesome man, yeah i agree comepletely , it really is our own path and its just one big part of the process. honestly after surfing the net , seeing if there were any other people like me, i was relieved to know im not the only one going through this self impreovement thing. ill check these guys out, itd be cool if we could talk or something over the internet, like skype , there are some cool people out there like yourself who are on the same wavelength as me, if you wanna hit me up on skype : ezioisfire

thanks

Edited by blade_1993

• Guest unfeatured this topic