NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Started Installing...

Davo36

Man, my nemesis is StarCraft 2.

Watched a video of 2 pro guys playing last night and then started downloading and installing the free version of the game.

I got to the video by simply hitting the 'home' button on YouTube.  It brings up a list of 'recommended' videos.  Bastards.

But also I had been thinking about the game for a few days, haven't played for a month.

Have been getting heaps of other stuff done, doing well.

Was tired last night, had a few beers, saw the video... you know how it goes.  All the rationalizations as to why it's not harmful etc. start going through my mind.

Anyway, didn't actually play, so close call.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, I've been playing again for basically a month.  All of February, but uninstalled this morning.

Things I noticed this time round:

• I had forgotten just how toxic people in the games community are.  They call you names (noob etc.), get shitty, blamey etc.
  • I started having negative violent thoughts - ones I've had in the past, again.  Just stupid things I won't act on, but basically just getting angry with people in my head over non-real things.
  • I started going to bed late - because staying up late to play.  And then getting really tired - which leads to irritability, loss of interest in people and things.
  • So started feeling depressed again, with the usual accompanying things like loss of interest in exercise, other hobbies (including bioinformatics programming) or anything at all other than SC2.  And also too tired to read anything factual etc.
  • So this morning I decided enough was enough and uninstalled.  Not sure if it will be permanently, I seem to go back to it now...

So interesting, and glad to have pulled out of it, but man, I'm pretty bad at handling all my various addictions!

Might sign up for the 90 day thing, but honestly not sure if I can do it.

It helped me a lot to start a daily journal. It is the first time I am "clean" for1,5 months in 15 years. I'm nto sure if journalling was the only factor for this sucess, but i'm sure it was an important one. It sounds harmless or selphelpishly, but as long as it works i don give a fuck ;)

Guys, I've been playing again for basically a month.  All of February, but uninstalled this morning.

Things I noticed this time round:

• I had forgotten just how toxic people in the games community are.  They call you names (noob etc.), get shitty, blamey etc.
  • I started having negative violent thoughts - ones I've had in the past, again.  Just stupid things I won't act on, but basically just getting angry with people in my head over non-real things.
  • I started going to bed late - because staying up late to play.  And then getting really tired - which leads to irritability, loss of interest in people and things.
  • So started feeling depressed again, with the usual accompanying things like loss of interest in exercise, other hobbies (including bioinformatics programming) or anything at all other than SC2.  And also too tired to read anything factual etc.
  • So this morning I decided enough was enough and uninstalled.  Not sure if it will be permanently, I seem to go back to it now...

So interesting, and glad to have pulled out of it, but man, I'm pretty bad at handling all my various addictions!

Might sign up for the 90 day thing, but honestly not sure if I can do it.

Hello Dave!

I can relate with your observation that people in certain gaming communities can be toxic.  When I look back on my own gaming I think I was one of those toxic people, to be quite honest.  I was irritable due to the vicious cycle of gaming for long periods at a time, only to get less sleep, only to login to the game again, only to be more irritable with others in the game.  I was spiraling down very fast.  And my emotions were all over the place.  Yup, negative thought patterns were also in my head.  So, that's why I quit gaming entirely.  I love myself enough not to treat my mind and body that way again.  I'm really glad you uninstalled the game, because any break away from that negativity is a good thing.  I hope you'll consider detoxing for more than at least a month.  This community so far has been very helpful in that I read other people s journals and their progress, which makes me feel even more motivated to creating a lifestyle for me that is free of gaming, but also a lifestyle that is healthy and productive.

Hey! Thanks for sharing. One thing you can do is to create a new YouTube account so your recommendations aren't the same as they used to be. That can help. 

I was going to suggest this lol, since I quit games all that's in my recommendations now is food review videos and music videos :D 

hold on ! I can understand so much all you write ! And am just on day 8. I started reinstalling the game (wow) but hopefully my network is super slow at the moment and could not finish. I will erase that straight away !

• 1 month later...