NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Well hello there!

Osei

Hey everyone,

This is Osei here! I'm a 25 year old guy from the Netherlands. I have been gaming from the age of 5 and have noticed it became problematic at about my 11th year on this planet. I'm currently just writing this introduction to solidify the process of quitting "again". I have a very destructive relationship with gaming and computer usage in general. This has had a very negative impact on all areas of my life, but when I'm feeling anxious about my current situation it is also the first thing I get back to to remedy my emotional state. Even after all these years on an emotional level I can not rationalize quitting. Most of the time I'm very anxious and I don't really trust people that much (myself included). I have no particular developed skill as of this moment and I use gaming as a way to distract myself from life. If I would have to compare myself to something that would best describe me it would be an 'on-and-off switch'.

I just uninstalled the game I was currently playing, but previous attempts have made me highly skeptical. I have become somewhat bitter over the last few years and don't really know what to do anymore. Even watching these kind videos or reading general self-development material feels like mental masturbation to me. There is little to no action and I have a tendency to trivialize the small bites one "should" make to eat the metaphorical elephant. Here's me just hoping this is a step in the right direction. Well anyways that is it for now.

Thank you for reading my introduction.

ps: How should one according to you go about using the internet without relapsing to gaming? For me personally the triggers are immense.

(extensions and other time control software haven't worked.)

Edited by Osei

• Guest featured this topic

Hey Osei! Thanks for joining us here. ANOTHER member from The Netherlands! I'm going to try and come there in the summer to host a meetup. :)

For using the net, a few keys are to unsubscribe from gaming streams, avoid gaming news, avoid gaming forums, and so forth. Make sure you find new activities to do instead (ideally off the computer) so you aren't sitting on your comp bored all day browsing the net.

These two videos can help:

1) Should You Watch Gaming Streams?
2) How To Stop Mindlessly Browsing The Internet

Hey Oseiii! I feel you on the internet and bad habits. My phone and the web have replaced much of what gaming filled. Having my phone stolen was a bit of a weird blessing and I learned I need to leave my phone away from me or turn it off more often to be more present and invested in my day.

It's not an easy path but we are here to support you and beat this together. This will be worth it.

Edited by Laney

Hey Laney,

Thanks for reaching out. I actually haven't owned a smartphone up until this very moment as of the reasons you mentioned in your post. Coincidentally I actually just yesterday ordered one online as I felt it would be a good tool to assist me with my future scheduling/journalling. However I'm also pretty doubtful about it at the same time. I'll get back on the phone matter when I actually had some time to experience it. What strategy are you yourself using to manage your phone/web time?

Today I have been snacking a lot (something I haven't done in days, nay weeks, nay months!) and binge watching Netflix pretty much the entire day. I clearly notice that I'm currently very much on the far part of the spectrum of wanting to be entertained. (Something Cam shared in the How To Stop Mindlessly Browsing The Internet video.)

I always tried to rationalize that eventually I would read a line or hear those magic words that would send me flying off in the right direction. Making this process much easier. As you correctly noted this path will probably be anything but that. (I know this already, but have trouble accepting it nonetheless.)

Whether or not it will be worth it to kick the habit is something I came to believe a result of using our creative energy to make it so.

I hope all is well.
----

Disclaimer: I thank you all in advance for the supportive exchanges, but also want to let you lot know that I have a tendency of going off the grid.

Edited by Osei

Disclaimer: I thank you all in advance for the supportive exchanges, but also want to let you lot know that I have a tendency of going off the grid.

Just because you have been this way in the past does not mean you need to continue it in the future. Ultimately we have much more power over ourselves in this way than we realize sometimes. A good book to read at this time would be A Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl. Check it out. :)

Heh, kind of along the lines of 'Your past does not define you'. Thanks for reminding me as I tend to forget that. Already a good one for the daily affirmations.

I was already looking for a way to get my hands on a copy of 'the slight edge'. I'll add your other suggestion to my future reads as well. I actually believe a friend of mine has the latter one you mentioned in his possession. Guess it's time to get myself an e-reader! Although I do however prefer real books I currently have not the funds.

Hey Ironfly,

Yeh I strongly believe it's a good way of making it more real this time around. Thanks a lot for showing the similarities in our process. How has it been on you so far? I notice that I'm on these boards a lot looking for updates and interesting reads to fill my time. I read your introduction before as well and saw you were also from (or currently residing in) the Netherlands :).

It's still has been very good on me. I think mainly because i took this step (deleting games only) already 4 or 5 times earlier. Now i also deleted my characters, ánd people where i live made me see that i needed to take to commit to my real life, my study that i want to start. these 2 things are right now my biggest motivators. Also, i do the same as you, reading the boards and processes of others. Soak everything in. I think we can learn from eachother!

• Guest unfeatured this topic