NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Immorality of working in the gaming industry

Primmulla

It may seem funny but I first became interested in games after reading an article about game translators in a magazine for linguists, and another one telling how lucrative this gaming industry is. I was wondering whether maybe I could also look for a job as a game translator. The problem was, I did not know anything about games, and it would be hard to translate games without any experience of playing them (as I saw sample texts a game translator has to work with, it is true that at least general knowledge of games is necessary, since translators often get only e.g. dialogues between characters without any context, needed for translation, so they have to guess on the basis of their knowledge about games what the context may be). But now I believe that even if I could secure such a job, I should turn it down since working in the gaming industry is very immoral, taking into account how many people get addicted to games and how hard is to break with this addiction.  By translating a game, I would contribute to the growth of this addiction, as the game would be then available to more people, and those who would not play because of the language barrier, might engage in this dangerous behaviour. What do you think about it? 

I think there is some nuance here. First, not everyone has an unhealthy relationship with games that leads to addiction. Second, not all games are designed in such a way as to render them addictive. At least they are not necessarily made that way. Games are an art form and with the right intentions could create positive human experiences instead of ones designed to hook you and drain your wallet.

Obviously there is a dark side to games that we are all trying to escape from. I don't know that that makes working in the industry a bad thing as a blanket statement.

i feel that the internet and video games need to evolve. first off, too many people post public information on the internet that cant be taken down. this leads to them being dox'd and their lives ruined as if they actually committed a crime. i personally think there needs to be extreme regulation on the internet. when it comes to video games and people making youtube channels with 100000000000's of videos of them playing call of duty etc. i think this is honestly one of the worst times in history to live in. just with technology the way it is. fake friends. people on instagram and twitter and other stupid shit. i know some kids who literally tweet nonstop about 5sos and other band etc. they say youth is wasted on the young and now i see why. technology in general is fucking these kids up lol and no its not just video games. i hope to god one day the internet gets regulated to shit. people can post whatever they want about you and its considered free speech if they "commentate" over it. this is a big problem on places like youtube. they can reupload my shit with my personal info and just slap on some dialogue and youtube wont take it down etc. people get their lives ruined every day because of recordings of them being drunk etc. video goes viral tons of public trolls respond to it next thing they know they lose their career cause of internet trolls. so ya fuck the internet, fuck video games addiction, fuck facebook, fuck instagram, fuck twitter. documenting all these people's every move to be googled and used against them. fuck youtube getting retards to make them 10000s of videos only to get paid peanuts in return. somethings gotta give lol. its not a space for opportunity and expression its a place for mistakes to grow and people to get addicted and consumed with for profit at their own expense.