NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Commitment to Stop Starts Here

Grace

I'm hooked on a video game. Everyday I get up and say I won't play it today or I'll just play for a short time - that hasn't worked. I also tell myself I'll start "quitting" tomorrow and of course I haven't. Hence, I'm here. 

I"ve put a password on my phone only my husband knows so I can't access google play to download the game.  I also removed my android device from my laptop, so I can't install the game from there. I'm guessing these actions will support the other work I must do to stop. I've read the materials offered at this site, found them helpful and will use the information to guide me on my path.

One thing I know about myself is that making myself publicly accountable has helped me in the past; I've had success quitting a smoking addiction (10 years now) by joining a group. Knowing that I had to show up and be accountable for my choices helped me think about my behavior in the moment.

So here I am, and I'm grateful to be here, making the commitment to not play video games. I plan to check in everyday to share my choices and explain myself as needed. 

If anyone is out there that would be interested in buddying up (check in on me, I'll check in with you) to mutually offer support/encouragement, that would be fantastic. Otherwise I'm going to just imagine that's the case, that someone is seeing what I'm writing. 🙂

Finally, it's taken my a while to come here because I feel such shame about this addiction; it all seems so ridiculous, yet here I am. I was thinking about joining one of the meeting groups to find additional support and wondered if anyone found that helpful? And about the shame part, I'm too embarassed to tell anyone I know what's going on, my husband knows and is supportive of my quitting. Just wondering how other people handle these feelings.

Thanks for listening.

Peace out.

• Like 1

Hi, sounds reasonable, I think you made a good start to quit for good. Dont worry, many people will read this, although just a few will post, thats normal here, dont lose motivation to continue to post here :)! Other than that you might read the journals of other people, because there are sooo many things which all of us faced after quitting, things which lead us to relapse and so on, you might learn from that

About the meetings @Max went to some, he wrote about that in his newest journal some days ago. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lobares2 said:

Hi, sounds reasonable, I think you made a good start to quit for good. Dont worry, many people will read this, although just a few will post, thats normal here, dont lose motivation to continue to post here :)! Other than that you might read the journals of other people, because there are sooo many things which all of us faced after quitting, things which lead us to relapse and so on, you might learn from that

About the meetings @Max went to some, he wrote about that in his newest journal some days ago. 

Thank you for this encouraging response. I just attended Gaming Addicts Anonymous (GAA) Meditation Group (every morning @ 8:00am), it was helpfu, informative  and the attendees were very welcoming. They have a timed discussion afterwards and then just a chat. I plan to go everyday if possible as I think it's an important to my recovery. I'll keep posting here too! I think, like meditation, it's an effective tool for recovery. 

44 minutes ago, Dave B said:

Hi Grace,

I just started a few days ago as well. You might consider joining the discord #detox channel it's a bit more active I think with other people going through the detox process. Either way, happy to help support.

Thanks Dave B. I appreciate your response, offer of support. I went to discord yesterday (I already had an account there). Sadly my account is caught in some infinite loop I can't figure out so I can only read, not comment.  So I'll read till I can figure out the problem, ha!  

So it sounds like discord is where you're starting your journey. I definitely wish you success and am willing to offer support to you however I can.  Today I attended an 8:00 am meditation meeting at Gaming Addiction Anonymous (GAA). It was a good meditation experience and the group was very welcoming and encouraging (there was time for comments after the meeting and then an informal chat after that).

I left feeling very supported, hopeful and will pursue attending the meditation meeting regularly, as well as other meetings.  Some members in the group also offer their phone # so should you need to talk to someone you can reach out. Perhaps (GAA) might be of interest to you? 

I just know for myself accountability to others helps me stop engaging in addictive behaviors.

Take care.  And I'll leave you with a couple of thoughts from the meeting I attended:

- The affirmation from the meditation, which I intend to repeat when I feel pulled toward gaming - I am confident, clear and here; and,

- A member share that really resonated for me -  whatever is not working in your life is not going to get better by gaming. Sheesh that's sure the truth!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't journaled like I said I would, but instead have been attending Gaming Addictions Anonymous (GAA) every day since my first journal entry.  Feeling like I got my life back. I plan on continuing my engagement with GAA.

• Like 1