NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Introduction - Quitting Game Developer

Markus

Hi all ☺️

I'm happy to finally write here. I've been lurking r/stopgaming for a couple of years at least  and today I feel like I've had enough of my compulsive gaming habit. I've quit gaming for 60 days or so in past during my past studies so I know it's possible and I want to do 60 days again and then push even further. Previously I relapsed because a game I had waited for 4 years was released. My goal with gaming is to have it just as an occasional activity with friends or my gf and to not play alone.

As the title states, I'm a game developer. I make mobile games for living for and making them for the day and playing more games in the evening has made me sick of modern video games. Nowadays I can't find as much enjoyment from gaming as before, because I keep seeing the dark design patterns, money sink monetization and game loops that have been built for the player in order to keep them playing. I just see games as a product and time sink for players, not a fun toy that games used to be to me. I've worked in the games industry for 5+ years now and I like the people who I work with and find the technical side of video games fascinating. In the future I might steer away from games to some other industries, but at the moment it's not an option.

I have played video games since 4 years old and as an 28 years old still playing video games on my free time for a couple of hours a day on average I've started to feel like I'm neglecting a big part of my life and sometimes even my loved ones. My biggest issue is using game as a time filler when there are no plans whatsoever and that has lead me with 3400+ hours in Dota 2 and probably 5000+ hours in other games combined. I understand why I've played so much as gaming has helped me get past hard times etc, but the numbers are still baffling🙃

So far I've been successful at quitting Dota and other competitive games for good. I haven't played that game since May and am still adamant about my decision. I have found that I tend to steer towards competitive games with ranked ladders since I want to feel progress and to have a clear indication of my progress. Games with lots of progression tracks are also very addictive to me. Video games just make it very easy to see progress as the progress is faster too.

In real life I'm currently trying to figure out what offline activities I enjoy doing and also try to stay far from Youtube and other addictive social media platforms. 

Pleased to meet you all! 🙂

Best of wishes Marcus. I say go for the 90 days, for some reason that's the number that is suggested in many places. Cam also suggests that number in one of his videos.
About what you said
"In the future I might steer away from games to some other industries, but at the moment it's not an option."
Stephen Covey's advice (Author of 7 Habits of Highly Effective People) Is never to say "It's not an option" 
Because everything is an option. It's just that the price for you is too high to change that area of your life.
It might seem obvious, but it isn't and the more you tell yourself that, the less conscious decisions you make. Because you say "There's no decision to make, it's a given". But there's always a decision to make. 
Make it and be proud 🙂

• Like 3

Thank you for the replies Yan!

You're absolutely right on the 90 days. I just framed my initial 60 days goal since it's easier to first focus on the reachable and then push to the rest of the 90 days 😁

As for the career path being an option or not, I agree that my phrasing wasn't the best as it sounds like I'm not in control of my decision. I sometimes do feel like I'm not in control of my fate or career decisions and perhaps that's why I worded it that way. I should have probably written it as you suggested since the reason why I want to stay in the games industry for now is more of a strategic choice than a need.

How's your journey of reducing gaming content going?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 2:05 PM, Markus said:

Thank you for the replies Yan!

You're absolutely right on the 90 days. I just framed my initial 60 days goal since it's easier to first focus on the reachable and then push to the rest of the 90 days 😁

As for the career path being an option or not, I agree that my phrasing wasn't the best as it sounds like I'm not in control of my decision. I sometimes do feel like I'm not in control of my fate or career decisions and perhaps that's why I worded it that way. I should have probably written it as you suggested since the reason why I want to stay in the games industry for now is more of a strategic choice than a need.

How's your journey of reducing gaming content going?

Glad I could help! Even if it's the slightest bit!

Thank you for asking about my journey! Some key metrics:
-Day 49 of no watching Useless videos
-Day 47 of sticking to food schedule (Defined amount of food or less)
-Day 113 of eating only food I bought
You may check out more details In my daily diary in the daily diaries sub-forum if you want the long (Scroll-like-long) details 😄

It's called No Useless Videos for 90 Days