NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Stopping after 38 years of gaming (Originally posted on Reddit)

I'm 41 years old, and have been gaming since I was 3 (started with an old Tandy 1000.)

I've owned/played just about every console under the sun, and have also been a PC gamer. For the most part I was able to lead a fairly normal life while gaming, and kept my gaming time under control. I'm married, have 4 kids, a good paying job, etc...

During Covid I was laid off from my web dev job and started writing for sites like Gamerant, Gfinity Esports, Sportskeeda, and Pro Game Guides. I was playing games most of the day, and had gone from single player titles to games like Fortnite, Apex Legends, Splitgate, Warzone, Genshin Impact, etc...

Things started to get out of control, affecting every aspect of my life.

For the past few months I've cut those types of games out of my life, and have started fixing my relationships. I tried limiting my gaming to an hour a day, and only single player titles on the Switch, or smaller indie games on the PC.

It has felt wildly unfulfilling, and I found myself thinking about gaming constantly. I was also resenting the time I *was* playing, because I wasn't playing the games I really wanted to be playing.

So I've decided enough is enough, and am quitting for good.

It was a hard decision to make, and I'm sure will be a hard one to maintain...but here I am, 5 days in as of this post.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 10:43 PM, rkalajian said:

to games like Fortnite, Apex Legends, Splitgate, Warzone, Genshin Impact, etc...

Welcome! How is your detox going? I'm currently working with someone who plays Genshin Impact. Any insights into this game and how come it's so addictive? Keep up the great work

So far so good!

Genshin, being a gatcha game, is addiction because of the thrill of the "pull," hoping to get rare characters. This is increased by certain characters only being available at certain times. They also run many "one time" events that can offer certain rewards or bits of story that cannot be obtained once the event is over.

Hi, I think I heard you speak at one of the meetings of CGAA on Saturday/ Sunday hosted by Jonathan.

If it was you, then you gave me a really good tip about quitting being more than just finding something to replace gaming.

Anyway, hope to hear more about how you are doing

Take it easy man