NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Proxee's Diary

Proxee

I begin this adventure in journaling by summing up the range and depth of my complex feelings on the subject of journaling...

:2_grimacing:

I don't have the attention span for this and I also consider myself pretty private - Does anyone have any tips on how to proceed? 

I will give it an honest shot but I'm honestly in despair as I've attempted journaling before.

Today I'm grateful for:

• The weekend and not having to work today.
  • Being able to continue to interact with my international friends with games. 
  • My house has so many trees around it
  • My dog's good health! He's 14 years old and still acts like he's 9. 
  • That I live in a peaceful neighborhood. 

I hope to adapt this journaling style as I go but I'll probably get obsessed with reading other people's journals as a form of procrastination. Wish me luck! 

Welcome 🙂

I recommend you to write down your goals. You dont have to share private stuff, change it as you like. For me the journal is kind of a pressure to follow my goals. Maybe you implement a counter, eg 30 days of doing XY. Always when I just opened a journal to write now and then - I failed miserably. But when I decide to write everyday to update my counter, it works much better.

The main point of all this: You want to accomplish your goals. Thats the Nr. 1 thing here

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lobares said:

Welcome 🙂

I recommend you to write down your goals. You dont have to share private stuff, change it as you like. For me the journal is kind of a pressure to follow my goals. Maybe you implement a counter, eg 30 days of doing XY. Always when I just opened a journal to write now and then - I failed miserably. But when I decide to write everyday to update my counter, it works much better.

The main point of all this: You want to accomplish your goals. Thats the Nr. 1 thing here

ooh counter idea sounds good - much thanks! Didn't even consider that! Brilliant and thank you! :D 

Day 2/30

To be honest, I'm not prepared to cut myself fully off from games as the Respawn book recommends doing. At least, not just yet. (I have mad respect for those that have chosen that path though!)
So instead, I'm going to tweak the steps in the book to suit what I hope to achieve.  

I've just read Chapter 2 and am interested in the "barriers" to video games.  I think it's true what it says about there being little to no barriers to playing video games so I'm going to create some.  I'm going to put restrictions on my phone and my computer for the first 3 hours of the day so I can't access my usual time stealers. My computer is set up in my room, so I'm going to disconnect the keyboard and put it away when I go to bed tonight.  I'll continue to experiment with different ways to create barriers though if anyone's got any ideas - please let me know!

At this point, my only goal is to make my room tidier and go out walking more often. I have done a little bit of cleaning up today - it's not as much as I hoped but it's a start! 

I have a time limit set up for all my devices. E.g. 2 hours of youtube in total, at 8pm all websites get blocked etc. should be possible on any device I guess. 

Most important point is to never ever make an exception, never say ‘ohh 3 hours are fine too’. Stick to your own rules, if you cant do it, dont start. Otherwise it destroys your self-confidence, and will affect every other time you would set up such rules(you broke them once, why not again? etc those things make it harder, of course not undoable, but still its better to do it on the first time)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lobares said:

I have a time limit set up for all my devices. E.g. 2 hours of youtube in total, at 8pm all websites get blocked etc. should be possible on any device I guess. 

Most important point is to never ever make an exception, never say ‘ohh 3 hours are fine too’. Stick to your own rules, if you cant do it, dont start. Otherwise it destroys your self-confidence, and will affect every other time you would set up such rules(you broke them once, why not again? etc those things make it harder, of course not undoable, but still its better to do it on the first time)

honestly, that's where I've failed before in the past. So very easy to go "Just 20 more minutes."   A good reminder that once I get my rules sorted, I'm going to probably also write them up and put them somewhere I can see so I can guilt myself into doing the right thing. Time blocks seem to be the way to go for me atm as I don't think I'm at a point where I can moderate my time over my kryptonite without blowing it all in one go.  I suppose this is the joy of doing similar things in the past - I know at least a few of my failings. 

Day 3/30

Objectives Completed: Bedsheets changed, clothes washed, rubbish taken out, took the dog for a walk, shower

Still Working On:  Rules of Time Usage for Devices + Working out Mentally Engaging, Resting and Social Activities. 

Day 4/30

Objectives completed: Smaller Health Routine Things 
Had work today that took up most time and spent the rest of the time browsing social media or relaxing on youtube.  It was enlightening to notice how I'm spending my time - perhaps the journal isn't so bad? Counter is certainly helping - thanks again @ Lobares

Will try reading tonight and hope to pick up a magic tricks book tomorrow at the library so I can find something.

Mission: Finish a book before Day 14.
Mission: Find something interesting to do on daily commute instead of social media.