NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Journal - SpiNips

SpiNips

Hello!

It's the last day of the autumn holiday. I'm feeling pretty tired since during this break I have pondered a lot about my life which has been hard at times, but also great since I feel more clear about what I'll do in the future. It's going to take a little while to get the ball rolling again, but it was good to stop and go through my feelings thoroughly. 

Today I've met my cousins, trained in the gym and hung out with my friends. The best moment of today was laughing with my friends.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Metal, Stratovarius and Heavenly
  • Mud cake
  • Holidays for providing precious time to check in with life
  • Next phase begins soon
  • Connections with many kinds of people

Hello!

Slowly regaining my energy after the autumn holiday. I went to try out ballroom dancing today and it was awesome! The average age was probably twice of mine but it was fun anyways. ^_^ There was also a girl about my age so it was cool to dance with her too. The best moment of the day was definitely dancing and I feel like I want to go there again!

Today I'm grateful for:

• Going dancing even though I felt a bit nervous about my age
  • Dire Straits and Van Morrison
  • Morning showers
  • Mettwurst
  • New perspective gained from harder feelings

Hello!

Today was a good day. I studied and went to the gym. I'm making a performance about antimatter, which is a really interesting subject – on the other had very hard to perceive but also logical. The best moment of today was being with my family.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Sour milk
  • Aleksis Kivi's Seitsemän veljestä
  • Warm shoes
  • Earmuffs
  • Ikea furniture

Hello!

Today has been a basic day. Felt a little tired but overall everything is going alright. The best moment of today was playing volleyball with my friends after school.

is it already that cold over there?

It is getting rather chilly here. The thermometer is bouncing somewhere around zero degrees Celsius. I'll post a picture when it starts snowing good! :) 

Today I'm grateful for:

• ABBA radio
  • Lentils
  • Adlibris
  • Writing
  • Seeing my uncle Paul today

Hello!

Today was a day of hard work. I got up studied and worked and now it's evening. I'm feeling a bit exhausted by all this work and as a person with workaholic tendencies I had a conversation about my shift schedules with my employer. She said that it's okay for me to do less shifts which I'm very grateful for. The best moments of today were small pleasant moments with people.

At the moment rest is the best I can do since thoughts tend to get a bit of extra colour when tired.

Today I'm grateful for:

• The Beatles – During a hard day's night they have all my loving. I had to... xD
  • Quantum physics is very interesting
  • Making new friends in school
  • Pranking my friend in a friendly way
  • You get paid for working

Hello!

Today I have been taking it easier. I woke up at 4.30 am and had a pain in my ear and it seems that I have an inflammation in my ear. Well I'll take it easier and let it heal for now. The best moment today was laughing and joking with people.

Regarding combat sports I'm a bit worried about concussions and how they affect the brain. The sport I've trained and am looking to start again, BJJ, is a wrestling type of sports with less focus on throws and more on grips, locks and positions. It is probably the safest combat sport with proper sparring. It's the idea of taking accidental knocks to your head that makes me feel uneasy, but also it would maybe be too cautious to give up that very lovely sport for minuscule risk of concussions (not bigger than in basketball or soccer according to the stats) . After all we're not meant to be stored in a glass vitrine and collect dust there.

For little critique I also need to say that confirmation bias has an effect on the results I'm finding. Of course, when googling information I'm finding a lot of information about the worst of the worst injuries – a marginal view of the whole picture. Maybe I'll give this subject a little rest, go train BJJ and if I feel like it's no good for my brain I'll give it up. 

Today I'm grateful for:

• Warm juice for sore throat
  • Awesome nurse for working few extra minutes to take care of me
  • My teacher of mathematical subjects and her great attitude to life which is not too serious
  • GameQuitters comment section for saving text
  • Weekend

Regarding combat sports I'm a bit worried about concussions and how they affect the brain. The sport I've trained and am looking to start again, BJJ, is a wrestling type of sports with less focus on throws and more on grips, locks and positions. It is probably the safest combat sport with proper sparring. It's the idea of taking accidental knocks to your head that makes me feel uneasy, but also it would maybe be too cautious to give up that very lovely sport for minuscule risk of concussions (not bigger than in basketball or soccer according to the stats) . After all we're not meant to be stored in a glass vitrine and collect dust there.

Since I train krav maga (which involves sparring and sporadic blows to the head), I've also been worried about this. When doing some research I was able to conclude that the light hits you sustain when sparring in safe circumstances puts you at no risk of permanent head injuries, really. I mean, look at all the professional mma-fighters and boxers out there, that takes serious blows to the head over and over. I know some of them get permanent brain damage, but far from the majority. Then compare what they do to what you do when training. It shouldn't be dangerous at all.

This doesn't keep my from feeling slightly uneasy though, but you're right about how we're not these fragile things to be put away. "A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor." 

However, if you feel weird at all, you're right about taking a break. 

That's just my two cents - hope it goes well!

How about the opposite perspective: martial arts teach you to prevent injuries! Think about it: you learn how to assess danger related to people and the environment, how to minimize risk (running vs fighting), how to fall without breaking your bones, how to quickly disable the thug trying to kick your teeth in. It changes you so that you don't look and feel like an easy target to predators, human or animal. It makes your body stronger, harder to harm, faster to heal. To me the pros outweight the cons.

Hello!

Today I have been taking it easier. I woke up at 4.30 am and had a pain in my ear and it seems that I have an inflammation in my ear. Well I'll take it easier and let it heal for now.

Good idea!

If you don't treat this kind of inflammation (especially middle ear), it can lead to larynx inflammation aswell!

Trust me, I'm Mad Pharmacist! :)

Hello!

Today was a day I rested at home. I missed my yesterday's post due to going to see my teachers band's gig. I've been integrating nearly the whole day since I have a calculus exam tomorrow. The best moments of today were dining together with my family and finally finding Hesse's book Demian.

I feel like my perspective of what I need to now has gotten clearer in the last few weeks which is cool.

Since I train krav maga (which involves sparring and sporadic blows to the head), I've also been worried about this. When doing some research I was able to conclude that the light hits you sustain when sparring in safe circumstances puts you at no risk of permanent head injuries, really. I mean, look at all the professional mma-fighters and boxers out there, that takes serious blows to the head over and over. I know some of them get permanent brain damage, but far from the majority. Then compare what they do to what you do when training. It shouldn't be dangerous at all.

This doesn't keep my from feeling slightly uneasy though, but you're right about how we're not these fragile things to be put away. "A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor." 

However, if you feel weird at all, you're right about taking a break. 

That's just my two cents - hope it goes well!

Thanks for your opinion! I feel like you're right – the negative effects are from the serious repeated blows, not the occasional thud to the head while sparring. :) 

How about the opposite perspective: martial arts teach you to prevent injuries! Think about it: you learn how to assess danger related to people and the environment, how to minimize risk (running vs fighting), how to fall without breaking your bones, how to quickly disable the thug trying to kick your teeth in. It changes you so that you don't look and feel like an easy target to predators, human or animal. It makes your body stronger, harder to harm, faster to heal. To me the pros outweight the cons.

That's very true! Somehow I was focusing on the chance of injury that I forgot that it's only a narrow part of the complete picture. Thanks for an important reminder!

Good idea!

If you don't treat this kind of inflammation (especially middle ear), it can lead to larynx inflammation aswell!

Trust me, I'm Mad Pharmacist! :)

It's weird how ears, nasal cavities and throat are so connected. My ability to hear with the ear has returned today and I feel like it's a good sign. It's great having a GQ-medic here! ^_^

Today I'm grateful for:

• Great comments
  • The Beatles and Nightwish
  • Having enough food
  • A Dragon patterned mug
  • Exercising a little every day

Hello!

Today was a fun day. The math exam was difficult an I didn't have time to make it completely which is a bit annoying. I participated in a participatory math exam organized by a "Finnish Teachers of Mathematics" -organization. It was rather difficult and I took it more lightly but still got a few correct answers which was cool. The best moment of today was laughing with friends.

I feel like I've sat in front of a screen enough. I'm still recovering, doing what I can to get healthier, but it's going to take a while. My thoughts are a bit congested.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Grandmother's blackcurrant juice
  • Flanell shirts
  • Goodreads.com
  • Delicious food
  • Cozy bed

Hello!

Today was a fun day. The math exam was difficult an I didn't have time to make it completely which is a bit annoying. I participated in a participatory math exam organized by a "Finnish Teachers of Mathematics" -organization. It was rather difficult and I took it more lightly but still got a few correct answers which was cool. The best moment of today was laughing with friends.

What level of math was it? More like hardcore academic level, including calculus and derivatives? :D

Hello!

Today was a weird day! The best moment of today was eating pancake.

What level of math was it? More like hardcore academic level, including calculus and derivatives? :D

It was about integrals mainly, a little bit about derivatives too. Our curriculum is not very specialized yet, it's mostly about getting good overall capability.

I read Hesse's Demian and I'm a bit confused. I couldn't identify myself as clearly with Emil Sinclair as I could with Steppenwolf´s Harry Haller. I feel like the younger Hesse's style was much more absolute than it was later on. I liked Steppenwolf more, but it was good to read Demian as well. I feel like at the moment I need to let reading rest for a while and do other things.

Sometimes life feels hard, but we'll make it for sure.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Rock and Roll evoking warm and lively feelings
  • Layla by Derek and the Dominoes @KoyoteIcarus
  • Smooth pork sausage soup
  • Exercising getting your heating system functioning
  • There is time

I read Hesse's Demian and I'm a bit confused. I couldn't identify myself as clearly with Emil Sinclair as I could with Steppenwolf´s Harry Haller. I feel like the younger Hesse's style was much more absolute than it was later on. I liked Steppenwolf more, but it was good to read Demian as well.

Same here. In fact for me old Hesse > young Hesse, and his last book is the best.

Hello!

Today was a cool day! I studied and went to meet my friends. The best moment of today was playing a bit of floorball with my friends.

Today I have gotten many thoughts. Regarding Demian the story opened up after a well slept night and I noticed some important points about the book. Also thought about my resting activities and managed to come up with quite a few like music, reading, writing or playing a game of online chess, the last of which I'm not completely sure about, but I feel like it's much simpler and not fulfilling my need for social life, sense of improvement or resting to the same excessive extent which gaming did. Well see if I even end up playing it. My sense of being a complete quitter stands in the way a bit.

@hycniejsy @Mettermrck This situation calls for a GameQuitters pancake meetup! I hear they make very good pancakes in Sweden. ;) 

Today I'm grateful for:

• ABBA's awesome songs
  • Having trained gymnastics
  • First snow
  • Practicing my English while writing and reading in English
  • Glogg

Here are some snowy pictures. :)

20161102_195814.thumb.jpg.1b160d2bcbefa720161102_195808.thumb.jpg.9f146368ed445f

Hello!

Today has been pretty basic. I studied at school, went to see a doctor about my ear, got a haircut and studied physics. The best moment of today was seeing my barber.

I've been studying quantum physics which has quite hard. There are many phenomena that you can't really connect with the real world. Well this is the last physics course and I feel like this is a good extent of knowledge in this area for now.

Same here. In fact for me old Hesse > young Hesse, and his last book is the best.

I'm saving The Glass Bead game for when I feel like I can get very immersed to the book, maybe to Christmas holidays. Otherwise I would just forget about doing anything else. :P

Curse this reputation limit... I can tell you've really come a long way. I'm proud of you (weird for a 14 year old to say that to a grown man :D )

Thanks mate! There is still a long way to go but I'm glad walking is rewarding. I think that it's great that there are GameQuitters of many different ages – Keep it up man! :) 

i like the way the snow in your pics looks like sand. Makes me think you're in a sandy beach, thus I can forget about winter that is to come!

Oh I'll post a picture of the 'beaches' once it gets beyond -20 degrees Celsius! It would be funny to see how'd you react to the Nordic winter. xD Wishing you luck with the changing seasons!

Today I'm grateful for:

• Not having to take antibiotics
  • CAS-calculator
  • New haircut feel fresh
  • U2 and The Miracle
  • Having a barber as a friend

Hello!

Today was a cool day. I studied the day and attended my friends party in the evening. The best moment of today was playing badminton with cool and supportive people.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Dire Straits
  • Supportive people
  • A progressive physics exam
  • Playing chess
  • Quacamole