NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Completely lost if I take away gaming.

sploshbg

So basically I have a full-time job, but the rest of my time I spend it either gaming online or surfing the net. If I attempt to stop gaming, i am filled with a void and any other activity i try to start doesn't bring me any pleasure and I can't keep my attention at it for an extended period of time.

Also my mind comes up with excuses that other hobbies are also a waste of time like playing video games, which leads me back to gaming where i feel comfortable.

I have a 4-day Easter vacation, and without gaming would be a torture.

Any input would be appreciated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 6:59 AM, sploshbg said:

Also my mind comes up with excuses that other hobbies are also a waste of time like playing video games, which leads me back to gaming where i feel comfortable.

not all hobbies are created equal .. some will get you outside, some will make you stronger, some will make you smarter.. do you get sunlight exposure throughout the day? some pretty incredible stuff there ..

are other aspects of your life suffering because of your really fun game internet hobbies like work / promotions / annual performance reports / energy levels? is your nutrition suffering while you make poor food choices or do you miss meals to do something more fun? do you save any time for exercise and are you exercising when you have the most energy for it? you said you quit video games before but how long did you quit for and was there anything else you could have done to have made it any easier?

seeing you haven't posted since before Easter you might not see this for awhile but someone else might who is going through the same motions as you, pretty common here really, best wishes.

• 2 months later...

Convenience is one reason. Another is cost. Not just money, but time and energy. Investing into people is often just a huge waste. You give and give and they take and take. 

I worked hard to pay for the home I have. I have everything I want at home.

Diversify. I have several hobbies that I can do at home. It's great.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's what gaming does to you in the long run; it hardwires your brain to think that you can only get rewarded by video game logic. People who don't play games also experience life with a sense of reward but on a more balanced level where they are able to engage with several things that don't give immediate positive feedback. If you think about it there are surely things in your life that have given you joy besides video games but they've perhaps demanded more effort or the feeling is not exactly the same as when you game and there is a giant text on the screen that tells you you've performed well. A big part of getting rid of your addiction I believe is to break this loop and teach your brain to be satisfied with more long term investments and things that we so often take for granted, like social interaction or just doing absolutely nothing. Give it time and this mentality will eventually start to form. It has worked for me and I believe it will also work for you!