NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

The Simple Life

goodvibes

Quick journal entry today: I procrastinated doing much anything today recovering from workout yesterday, an extra nap after full body day is a good idea I think. I did however not miss a single meal - that would happen to me often when gaming.

46 minutes ago, Zubb said:

I've had my hands full just trying to nail down my basic software configurations for stuff like zsh and dwm.

dwm config looks like a tough learning curve but that master and stack window layout looks really nice and useful looking .. i3 has been a pretty simple and enjoyable experience still but definitely leaves something to be desired!

50 minutes ago, Zubb said:

already considered the possibility of switching to less powerful hardware, and found it either unhelpful for avoiding gaming

exactly this, early 2015 after my last main career ended I turned all my time and efforts to text games but thankfully GQ was also setting down its roots!!

57 minutes ago, Zubb said:

If you've got time I'd really like to learn more about how you made your home workout scripts.

say you want to get a loop going to repeat a command 100 times

for i in {1..100}
  do
		termdown 60s --font doh --text 15 --end --quit-after 15
  done

"--text 15" sets it so after the 60 second countdown it says 15 while "--quit-after 15" actually adds the 15 second post-countdown delay before another instance of termdown would begin in this situation. I will get my full script polished up and shared soon!

terminal rss reader colors now functional in TTY go figure that it doesn't support 256 colors but the mpv video driver does oh well this program is a sharp tool for quickly catching up with content and moving on about my day, quite a wonderful addition as I see it.  tweaked workout script a bit more, intend to publish that very soon.

• Like 1

found more online game accounts to delete which is still being taken care of have been taking it pretty easy today aside from upper body workout yet noticed I am progressing well - I will get to be adding more weight soon! I have also decided to update journal only 1-2 times per week from hereon to space it out and give myself a break from checking updates so frequently.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

It's been about two weeks in since starting no pmo with nofap, since buying the house plant, and since getting back on a workout routine - my face is now mostly clearing up maintaining its moisture where it was dry, flaking, and cracked.  I've done all these things on routine before but never happened to of been at a point where I noticed it affect my skin condition any though I'm sure the workout routine is most likely affecting the skin.  No diet changes I eat the same foods though I know more vitamin K will be quite a help as well I'm just terrible at that one though I have tons of broccoli in the freezer I'm never thinking about including it.  I like it boiled at least 3 minutes so this is a simple thing I just need to get in the habit of adding some in just before a meal finishes up.

Edit:  Microwave Broccoli too!

Edited by goodvibes
  • Like 1

This quote reminds me how thoughts of games we used to play early in the gamequitting journey can easily lead to a relapse or give a tough time fighting it but later as we detox our brain just doesn't care because we no longer identify with it as we are successfully detoxifying from this giving us mental diarrhea.

"If thoughts are going continuously you are having a mental diarrhea, obviously you ate some bad food.  The moment you identify yourself with something you are not then you're finished, your mind is on a continuous run .. the most important faculty of your life is out of control doing its own rubbish all the time not doing what you want it to do.  If you have to be freed from this ailment you should stop eating bad food (identifying yourself with things that you're not)."
     - Sadhguru, Yoga Teacher / Speaker

Taking notice I have been procrastinating a lot with big daily goals that needs done.  I'm of the opinion that procrastination is not always a bad thing but this persistent procrastination that's in the way of purging access to old game accounts just needs to be dealt with in a swift manner.  I hadn't had my goals visible or written down anywhere so I fixed that.  No plans for massive TODO goal lists I am totally fine setting new goals shortly after completing one, keeping it simple, not complicated.

Also taking notice at what is enabling my procrastination - way too many pinned youtube tabs that persist after reboot while computer use is cutting into my quality sleep well beyond bedtime so something is to be done about this I have it set as my weekly goal now so this is a priority to fix.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2022 at 12:09 AM, Zubb said:

If you've got time I'd really like to learn more about how you made your home workout scripts. As someone who practices boxing I've always wanted a simple way to output random punch combinations at an adjustable rate, like coaches will sometimes do for athletes in practice.

@Sowelu @Zubb hey i said i would share this linux "bash" workout script so here it is so you guys enjoy and do what you like with this.  has been nice for home workouts but now looking to ditch the pc so will be looking into sport watches.  DM me any questions about this with the forum direct message function to keep the journal clean!

Beep dependency troubleshooting that worked on my Arch-based distro for error - Beep: "Could not open any device"
.. on reddit and on arch wiki

# #  rep - bash alias termdown workout loop 
# #  linux install - just add to ~/.bashrc with a text editor such as Nano and then "source ~/.bashrc" or reboot.
# #  mac/windows install - no idea.
# #  usage:  rep <countdown seconds> <delay after countdown>
# #                                  ^ if blank will default to delay of 20 between countdown loops.
# #  depends: termdown, mpv, beep - install these.  Mpv is used to play sound file, for something more simple use next alias brep.
# #
rep ()
{
  case $1 in
    *)  export TERMDOWN=$1 ;; 
  esac
  if [[ "$2" == "" ]]; then
	  export TERMREST=20
  fi
  if [[ "$2" != "" ]]; then
      export TERMREST=$2
  fi
  for i in {1..100}
  do
		beep -f 2000
		beep -f 1000
		termdown ${TERMDOWN}s --critical 10 --font doh --text $TERMREST --end --quit-after $TERMREST --no-bell --exec-cmd "if [ '{0}' == '1' ];then mpv --really-quiet --no-terminal ~/sfx/hit-1.mp3;fi"
  done
}

# #  brep - bash alias termdown workout loop
# #  linux install - just add to ~/.bashrc with a text editor such as Nano and then "source ~/.bashrc" or reboot.
# #  mac/windows install - no idea.
# #  usage:  brep <countdown seconds> <delay after countdown>
# #                                  ^ if blank will default to delay of 20 between countdown loops.
# #  depends: termdown, beep - install these. 
# #
brep ()
{
  case $1 in
    *)  export TERMDOWN=$1 ;; 
  esac
  if [[ "$2" == "" ]]; then
	  export TERMREST=20
  fi
  if [[ "$2" != "" ]]; then
      export TERMREST=$2
  fi
  for i in {1..100}
  do
		beep -f 2000
		beep -f 1000
		termdown ${TERMDOWN}s --critical 10 --font doh --text $TERMREST --end --quit-after $TERMREST
  done
}

Edited by goodvibes
  • Like 1

steadily crushing daily goals throughout the week. so many dailies I want done that I do a few per day but I see this is coming at a cost of not working on the weekly goal so simply put if I keep crushing dailies like this then weeklies and monthlies will not be getting their due attention or hardly completed so the answer to this is knock out ONE single daily goal each day then when I have spare time for something else I work on that week's weekly then near end of the week when I have completed my weekly goal I put spare time in on the monthly.  at that point having completed a monthly goal I could go on to give attention to a quarterly, biannual, yearly, and even a goal for the decade.  to me this is best kept track of by writing down onto a paper journal one page for daily goal, one for weekly, one for monthly, etc.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, goodvibes said:

steadily crushing daily goals throughout the week. so many dailies I want done that I do a few per day but I see this is coming at a cost of not working on the weekly goal so simply put if I keep crushing dailies like this then weeklies and monthlies will not be getting their due attention or hardly completed so the answer to this is knock out ONE single daily goal each day then when I have spare time for something else I work on that week's weekly then near end of the week when I have completed my weekly goal I put spare time in on the monthly.  at that point having completed a monthly goal I could go on to give attention to a quarterly, biannual, yearly, and even a goal for the decade.  to me this is best kept track of by writing down onto a paper journal one page for daily goal, one for weekly, one for monthly, etc.

A lot of goals. 😉 Keep on goaling!

• Like 1

Full moon max gravitational stress inbound. Fought off urge to watch people play games today but this didn't come until found an old bookmarked video of it. I now seem to have purged all internet bookmarks of gaming content. I am also in the process of transcribing useful bookmarks to paper journal for various things such as books I am interested in reading.

No computer weekends are being very productive for me I even made it go 3 days last week because it just felt so great without so many digital distractions. I had a ton of little notepad notes I am almost done transcribing elsewhere and even got a movie in. I think one movie per weekend is a good goal to keep and I should be careful not to overdo it because it is really easy to let get out of hand. On top of all of this I have decided I would prefer to fast on the weekend while away from computer so I have even more free time so as I figure it I will decide every week weather to fast one meal, one day, or two days depending on what I feel is best.

I think it was Alan Goldhamer's interview by Tom Bilyeu I heard that human blood peaks with BDNF "miracle grow" brain growth proteins after 48 hours of fasting and this protein is promoted to be produced through low intensity exercise and the presence of ketones so it is probably best to eat low carb before a fast. One two day fast per month sounds like the goal for me.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 6:51 PM, goodvibes said:

No computer weekends are being very productive for me I even made it go 3 days last week because it just felt so great without so many digital distractions. I had a ton of little notepad notes I am almost done transcribing elsewhere and even got a movie in. I think one movie per weekend is a good goal to keep and I should be careful not to overdo it because it is really easy to let get out of hand. On top of all of this I have decided I would prefer to fast on the weekend while away from computer so I have even more free time so as I figure it I will decide every week weather to fast one meal, one day, or two days depending on what I feel is best.

I think it was Alan Goldhamer's interview by Tom Bilyeu I heard that human blood peaks with BDNF "miracle grow" brain growth proteins after 48 hours of fasting and this protein is promoted to be produced through low intensity exercise and the presence of ketones so it is probably best to eat low carb before a fast. One two day fast per month sounds like the goal for me.

Days without the computer are often the best and memorable ones. Movies and series can be sometimes problematic, though I just find it too passive to watch more than one movie or multiple episodes a day - it's not really my cup of tea anyway. Fasting is interesting, because I remember the one time I did it, I found out I have no way to relax without eating something!

• Like 1

Manage stress by habitually going outside, this was a big one for me to finally get through my thick indoor-hobby loving skull and I'm sure many people who gamed heavily since childhood may also be slow to figure this one. Doesn't even need to be a hobby just find some excuses multiple times a day to get outside 10-15 mins and build habits out of it and make it longer if overcast dark sky. This is really doing a lot for me and I can't imagine going back to my reclusive indoor ways I have even been able to quit taking daily sugar and caffeine because those outside breaks have become energizing to me and is more potent. Important to get outside like this for morning, afternoon, and evening while the sun is up I firmly believe.

Neuroscientists Andrew Huberman and Samer Hattar (and surly others) have explained the benefits much better than I could hope to explain and this is the podcast I heard that made it all click for me, they discuss it together on Huberman Lab #43. Dr. Hattar is a world-renowned expert on how viewing light at particular times adjusts our mood, ability to learn, stress and hormone levels, appetite, and mental health.

Hello May!  Another game-free month of detox and it's starting to show, I am getting much better sleep at night and here I will tell you how.  I took pretty heavy notes from the Huberman neuroscience podcast on light exposure and sleep mentioned above and started putting it into practice so that now I am getting very comfortable well-rested sleep heeding the notes I took.  With our lives surrounded with technology (such as computers, cell phones, and artificial lighting) it is very important for us learn when not to use such things and to get outside as often as we can allow especially for morning light as that sets the circadian clock.

April I learned my goal for the month was too soon of a deadline so I reassigned it as a 90 day goal.  Almost another total computer-free weekend but I took time to download podcasts which I listened to and took a lot of notes on.  Having podcasts to listen definitely isn't my idea of a computer-free weekend but at least for this weekend I made the allowance because I deemed the subject I was learning to be important enough for the occasion.

Today I will play back the podcasts I took notes on just to essentially proofread for any notes I might have written incorrectly or missed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

everything's still going well and have taken quite a bit of podcast notes which seems to be doing me great I feel like I have gotten past the phase of personal development type content now with full interest in applied neuroscience along with investing and entrepreneurship. sure it is still time consuming content but getting the feeling these things will be showing solid results for my efforts I will just have to make sure I start putting action behind it all and not too much later phase out the heavy podcast consumption.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Day 95 game detox #3 reflection.

Special thanks to @Cam Adair, the podcast guy James Good iirc, and also those special guest podcasts you have all been an incredibly helpful voice of reason to bring me to my senses and encourage me to come as far as I have. I have still yet to try the Respawn program though it does still interest me I've heard nothing but good things about it. I mention neuroscientists Andrew Huberman and Matthew Walker down below in the post and they have been doing podcasts with other inspirational content creators I think it would be just fantastic to hear them weigh in at the Gamequitters podcast I feel like the knowledge they possess is most relevant to people like us who are actively working to change our lives for the better.

This detox has worked out really well for me as it helped me find a total new level of health & energy through one huge asset I have come to know better than ever before in my life - good quality routine sleep-wake cycles.

Perhaps I got good sleep during my previous game detox periods or at other specific and random times throughout my life but never before had I studied enough about quality sleep to understand just how many things need to come together to wake up feeling well-rested and the sad truth is if you are not feeling well-rested you are probably sleep deprived and need to do something about that. According to neuroscientist Matthew Walker this sleep deprivation thing is REALLY bad for your health and makes you more likely to have big problems with addiction. This is what makes video game addiction so tough to break from my experience I was staying up to random late night/morning hours playing losing sleep and further messing up that circadian rhythm staring at a computer screen during those hours, I was settling for faster more terrible foods and missing meals altogether further messing up circadian rhythm, I was staying inside a lot and not going out for that low solar angle sunlight in morning or evening further messing up circadian rhythm .. you can see the destructive cycle here to your most important tool (sleep) for maintaining good health & fighting off onset of addiction .. Stanford professor and neuroscientist Andrew Huberman has explained it all much better than I can hope to on his podcast but moreover I just want to credit both him and Dr Matthew Walker for freely arming me with such information to apply in all aspects of my life but most importantly here, my detox.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...