NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Creative Quitter's Journal

The_Creative_Quitter

Januar 9, 2022

~70 days into my 90-day challenge.

Hopeful that I will meet my 1 year challenge more easily than I thought.  If I didn't have other things I am passionate and happy doing though, I think I would be finding this time very very difficult.

Just so incredibly important to not only try new things, but be willing to fail many times at them in order to slowly become better and succeed at them.

Grateful for today.  Enjoy yours, as always.

• Like 1

January 12, 2022

It's difficult at first, not using games to 'escape' into and help forget things... and lately I've found that (when I allow myself a break from overworking) I interact within my real environment - which isn't an ideal nor beautiful environment that I would LIKE to be in...  I seem to have been given some more purpose.

Those around me, neighbors etc, who could use a kind word - I don't like to talk about this normally but I suppose it's an encouraging thing so I will mention it today:  Being able to be strong enough in myself, that I can help someone else - is really good.

What you on this forum don't know is I've been through quite a lot in life already, though it took me years of reading and self-counseling, pushing through issues, getting out of negative environments and away from negative people.  When you grow up in a negative environment, it can really set you back in life (and we use things like gaming to cope with it!).  BUT if you NEVER give up and keep pushing through... keep seeking that which is good, keep educating yourself, reaching out...  and Wow, arriving at the point where I can now actually help other people who I see are in similar situations to what I was..  that is just awesome.

Praying for those people and cheering them on to heal themselves.    I rambled today, it was worth it.   Still going, back to work - no games, and I'm okay with that right now.

• Like 3

January 14, 2022

Hanging in here, rough sleep last night.  Getting back on course, sometimes it gets stormy doesn't it?

Life seems to be a balancing act sometimes - knowing when you can help others but then reminding yourself you also need to mind your business and do what you need to do in your own life...

Social media is what contributed to me being up too late last night though.  I need to bite the bullet and maybe get that Cold Turkey app.  If anyone has used it, I'd love to know how it worked for you?  Or if there is a thread about it somewhere...  Thanks to all of you, and may you keep going too!

• Like 1

January 15, 2022

Got the Cold Turkey Blocker bundle today - having a "lazy" cloudy Saturday afternoon with my loved one.  Taking the time to figure out how best to use this Cold Turkey software.

I've been doing well with not thinking much about games, BUT social media has been sucking me in.  I tried a few other things and it just wasn't working.  Looking forward to seeing how I can make it work with this software.  I think the key lies in ...  I have to determine which are 'acceptible' distractions for those times where I just need to zone out and "rest" - and instead of getting sucked into social media or other distractions that can potentially be negative for me, I'm creating a list of positive ones, then seeing how I can schedule that in using the Blocker.   I don't like to "super-micromanage" but I think this is worth a shot!  Again if any of you have tried it I would like to know how it has been going for you.  

Wishing you all a peaceful and happy weekend.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 4:36 PM, The_Creative_Quitter said:

and Wow, arriving at the point where I can now actually help other people who I see are in similar situations to what I was..  that is just awesome.

Oh yeah, most def. I believe human beings seek meaning before anything and contribution is the biggest source meaning there is imo. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nico Indigo said:

Oh yeah, most def. I believe human beings seek meaning before anything and contribution is the biggest source meaning there is imo. 

What you said just made me think, in terms of the MMO's..  my GM's miss me (from two different MMO's lol).  I miss them too but write to them sometimes.  So easy for us to look at the positive social aspects in gaming -- but not question whether that outweighs the consequences (of being social trapped within an illusory game world, vs being social in person, real people, whose pain or happiness and real life issues we can really experience).   I wish there was a happy medium with the games but it's gone too far outer limites.  I do not want to live in an illusion however easy and fun.  Okay I rambled.  All for now!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

January 17, 2022

Still honing my use of Cold Turkey.  Realized that after dinner when I'm really starting to zone out is when I start getting an itch for the social media - I think it isn't just the news, but the interactions with people and seeing what's happening and other peoples' thoughts that I start to crave.  Probably because I have to work behind monitors, solo all day.  Also a replacement for the interaction lost from the MMO's.  
I'm not sure I can 'blame' myself for wanting that interaction, per se- we're human and need it.  There must be a good balance in here somewhere; working on it.   Enjoy your day!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 1:50 PM, The_Creative_Quitter said:

Still honing my use of Cold Turkey.

Have you used the password systems at all? I don't have the full version of the app, but copypasting a few of my blocks and creating different password types for each really helps (i.e: "Distractions"- Time Period Password, "Copy of Distractions"- Random Character Password). It's been extremely helpful in lessening my social media usage.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pochatok said:

Have you used the password systems at all? I don't have the full version of the app, but copypasting a few of my blocks and creating different password types for each really helps (i.e: "Distractions"- Time Period Password, "Copy of Distractions"- Random Character Password). It's been extremely helpful in lessening my social media usage.

I haven't had to use passwords just yet - but if need be I'll give that power to the spouse lol.  I'm hoping not to have to do that yet! 

Sometimes there's a need to unlock temporarily, but it seems to work for me so far just to have Cold Turkey open on a screen (i have two); unblock temporarily, do what I need - and the cold turkey software is there to remind me to shut it down ASAP.  I'm definitely finding it a useful program!  :91_thumbsup:

• Like 3

January 23, 2022

Haven't posted in a few days, been busy, a good busy.  Cold Turkey works well - and the Brain.fm focus music actually works for me too.  I'm working toward a deadline though so have been 'crunching' - and there's always a period of crashing and needing rest thereafter.  Will have to get things into better balance then.

No games yet, only minimal "cravings" on occasion.  Glad I took this challenge on.  All for today!

• Like 2

January 27, 2022

Apologies for lack of posting - and I'm missing out on yours as well!  Just very busy trying to meet a deadline.  Happy to be too busy to game, and feeling very fulfilled getting into my work instead.  After that deadline delving into the audio and video hobbies as well.  Hope you all are doing well and keep going!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

February 8, 2022

To everyone on this forum:  Sorry I stopped posting, but it's because some very big, positive changes are happening for me in my career - albeit slowly, but doors are beginning to open up.  Those doors wouldn't have opened if I hadn't quit even my "casual" game time, and made inroads in my work.

It was so worth it - and I think I AM now past my 90 day challenge that started Nov 5th I think?    

I'm wishing you ALL the best and want to encourage you to FACE the challenges in life head on, learn to deal with the let-downs and pain, because the fruits of your labors will also begin to come then as well.  We all need to be stronger, and the gaming industry has only become something to weaken us and make us less-than what we could be by our consuming.   Be productive and enjoy the little things!  I will check back in here when I can!

All the best for now, - TCQ

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

March 2, 2022

Just stopping in.  In 3 days it will be 4 months, with no games!  Still going, haven't played - though I've had a few moments of temptation to try an old popcap game.  Managed to resist downloading anything!  Wanting to stick to my 1 year no games commitment.  :12_slight_smile:

Grateful as always.  Want to see how you guys are doing, then back to work...

• Like 1