NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Introducing Need Help

Hey everyone I’m Luke. I haven’t quit gaming as a whole but I limit as much as I can and have found a game that I can control when I play. I’m only 14 and I just started off the year with B’s which I’m not proud of. As a result I found the YouTube channel and ect. I used to play Fortnite in 6th and 7th grade for about 3-6 hours after school and 5-10 on weekends. I know that sounds like a lot but time goes fast when playing that game. In 8th grade I played a bit less but COVID hit me hard I played around 4-12 hours a day. I played Fortnite competitively and I really was addicted. Other games I just get sinked into. I’m currently only playing Warzone for 1-2 hours on school days and 2-3 on weekends. Let me know if I should play less but that’s good for me cause I have ADHD. I played video games as a way to only improve and I turned that into Wrestling. We haven’t started our season yet but I want to see a ton of improvement for me as Fortnite has the highest Skill Ceiling and I was top 1,000 in my region for a bit. But I’m only doing this cause I’m concerned about grades. Let me know please give me feedback I know most of y’all are married with kids but please respond I want to learn 🙂 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Luke Quit Fortnite said:

Hey everyone I’m Luke. I haven’t quit gaming as a whole but I limit as much as I can and have found a game that I can control when I play. I’m only 14 and I just started off the year with B’s which I’m not proud of. As a result I found the YouTube channel and ect. I used to play Fortnite in 6th and 7th grade for about 3-6 hours after school and 5-10 on weekends. I know that sounds like a lot but time goes fast when playing that game. In 8th grade I played a bit less but COVID hit me hard I played around 4-12 hours a day. I played Fortnite competitively and I really was addicted. Other games I just get sinked into. I’m currently only playing Warzone for 1-2 hours on school days and 2-3 on weekends. Let me know if I should play less but that’s good for me cause I have ADHD. I played video games as a way to only improve and I turned that into Wrestling. We haven’t started our season yet but I want to see a ton of improvement for me as Fortnite has the highest Skill Ceiling and I was top 1,000 in my region for a bit. But I’m only doing this cause I’m concerned about grades. Let me know please give me feedback I know most of y’all are married with kids but please respond I want to learn 🙂 

Hi Luke! Nice to meet you!

I’m not sure how many of us here on GQ are married with kids, certainly not me! There are other teenagers like you here as well. 

In terms of your question of whether to play less or not, that is up to you- why do you think you want to play less, what are you going to do with that time? Why do you want better grades- will they help you achieve your goals? Do you have any goals?

There is a lot of questions I think you can ask yourself- like the ones above- that could help you figure out why at the moment you find gaming so appealing, and what you can do to replace it with other activities. I recommend that you first think about that- it’s difficult to make yourself stop doing something your brain enjoys without replacing it with another activity that will be fun as well. 

Welcome,

Po

On 9/12/2021 at 4:46 AM, Luke Quit Fortnite said:

Hi Luke, welcome. I recently picked up Fortnite in a recent lockdown and honestly had to delete the game as the replayability was just too high. I would win the first few games and then lose an entire day with losses and then finish on a win. I work with a lot of teenagers with gaming addiction and you have some insight into your situation so that is a bonus. You have also had a taste of real-life success so that is also a bonus. Regarding ADHD, it certainly a risk factor and playing fast and exciting games can essentially erode your attention span cos everything else, wrestling practice and homework just seems so slow and boring in comparison. Regarding cutting down, as a wrestler, you understand how much grit and determination you have to put in to win and this takes time. The same goes for school work, if you have a goal to get A's unfortunately you gotta put in the work. I don't think at this stage you need to "quit" but I would suggest starting with at least a day a week without gaming to see if there are any benefits. If you wanted to experiment with a longer period of abstinence and see if there is an effect on your grades this is the right place to be.