NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Top 5 Books

Cam Adair

Reading the Slight Edge now. If you guys are interested in some interesting psychological (and economical) effects check out "Predictably Irrational" by Dan Ariely.

?Awesome! Let me know what you think of The Slight Edge. I'll add Predictably Irrational to my list.

4 books that I would recommend to anyone:

• Slight Edge by Jeff Olsen
  • Switch by Chip and Dan Heath
  • Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill (just make sure it's not rewritten by someone else)
  • Choose Yourself by James Altucher

5 Fiction books I've enjoyed:

• 1984 by George Orwell
  • Lord of the Flies by William Golding
  • The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour
  • Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
  • Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

4 Books to read if you want to become a writer:

• On Writing by Stephen King
  • Wired for Story by Lisa Cron
  • War of Art by Stephen Pressfield
  • Write, Publish, Repeat by Sean Platt and Johnny B. Truent

I'm not really a motivation book reader, but I can recommend my fav fiction:

1) Karamazov Brothers - best book ever. Describes every type of human character. I like to refer to Ivan and re-read his monologue and dreams. I always have this book in a hand grab range

2) Hard to be a God by Strugatsky brothers - the best analogy on western world invading east

3) Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov - this book is a great insight on aristocrasy in general and a great story of man, who is consumed by his lazyness and filth

I could name more books I like, but it will be on-surface stuff. These books are true gems of Russian and world literature /\

I remember reading The Brothers Karamazov 6 years ago. It is a powerful book and definitely worth reading :)

War and Peace by Tolstoy was also a sensational read. I used to be very interested in reading classics when I was in High School.

I haven't read many books recently but I am changing that. Right now I'm reading the Seven Habits of Highly Effective people, by Stephen Covey, and I find that the book has revealed many truths to me that I wish I had known years ago. The book helps you realize what your priorites currently are, and inspires you to shift your priorities to become more effective in attaining your goals. It also helps you develop your goals, especially if you are unsure what you want out of life.

"Defending the Undefendable" by Walter Block. I've never met anyone who's heard of this book, and it's quite a shame. It's a very special book to me because it's filled to the brim with practical concepts and for years it has been my guidebook for my developing world views. It has laid the foundation for my Libertarian views and I think it is well worth anyone's time to read. A few examples of what the book discusses are why the minimum wage law is inefficient, how drug dealers are responsible for a decrease in crime, why child labor should be legal, and other controversial topics. I often refer to this book whenever I have an argument, because the foundation of this book is that the best and most efficient interactions between humans are those that are voluntary. The book is pretty short because the author gets right to the point and presents his arguments in such a thoroughly entertaining manner.

I definitely want to check out some of the books you guys recommended :)

• 3 weeks later...

War and Peace by Tolstoy was also a sensational read. I used to be very interested in reading classics when I was in High School.

?Congratulations on finishing War and Peace, there's not too many people who can say they've finished it. I tried reading it once, I think I was 14 or 15. I put a decent effort in, but after around 100 pages I gave up.

I've added Defending the Undefendable by Walter Block to my reading list.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg! It was a great read that explains how habits work, how carefully crafted habits can transform your life, and now to create those habits.

Next up for me is Slight Edge because I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Normally I'd wait until I've finished reading a book before I recommend it.

I'm only 30% through this one but so far I am loving this one:

A Mind for Numbers by Barbara Oakley.

It's a book that will teach you how to learn effectively. She aims the book at people trying to learn mathematics and science.  But the same principles will apply to whatever you're learning.

• 1 year later...

Let's revive this topic again :). My top 5 books for now are:

• Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz
  • Sherlock Holmes - The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • De zoon van de verhalenverteller by Pierre Jarawan (Dutch book, don't know if it has been translated to English, but it is originally written in German)
  • The Hundred Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
  • The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83 1/4 Years Old by Hendrik Groen

It is funny to see this list, as Stephen King is my favorite writer, but there are no books of him in my Top 5-list.

Edited by KevinV1990

5 books for entertainment: - You have my personal guarantee they're amazing!

1. Dark Matter - Blake Crouch

"Are you happy with your life?”

Those are the last words Jason Dessen hears before the masked abductor knocks him unconscious.

Before he awakens to find himself strapped to a gurney, surrounded by strangers in hazmat suits.

Before a man Jason’s never met smiles down at him and says, “Welcome back, my friend.”

In this world he’s woken up to, Jason’s life is not the one he knows. His wife is not his wife. His son was never born. And Jason is not an ordinary college physics professor, but a celebrated genius who has achieved something remarkable. Something impossible.

Is it this world or the other that’s the dream? And even if the home he remembers is real, how can Jason possibly make it back to the family he loves? The answers lie in a journey more wondrous and horrifying than anything he could’ve imagined—one that will force him to confront the darkest parts of himself even as he battles a terrifying, seemingly unbeatable foe.

2. Wool - Hugh Howey

Thousands of them have lived underground. They've lived there so long, there are only legends about people living anywhere else. Such a life requires rules. Strict rules. There are things that must not be discussed. Like going outside. Never mention you might like going outside.

Or you'll get what you wish for.

3. The Magicians - Lev Grossman

Like everyone else, precocious high school senior Quentin Coldwater assumes that magic isn't real, until he finds himself admitted to a very secretive and exclusive college of magic in upstate New York. There he indulges in joys of college-friendship, love, sex, and booze- and receives a rigorous education in modern sorcery. But magic doesn't bring the happiness and adventure Quentin thought it would. After graduation, he and his friends stumble upon a secret that sets them on a remarkable journey that may just fulfill Quentin's yearning. But their journey turns out to be darker and more dangerous than they'd imagined.

4. Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist:

Break into the notorious Ice Court
(a military stronghold that has never been breached)

Retrieve a hostage
(who could unleash magical havoc on the world)

Survive long enough to collect his reward
(and spend it)

Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first.

5. Steelheart - Brandon Sanderson

Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics. But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his will.

Nobody fights the Epics...nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.

And David wants in. He wants Steelheart — the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning — and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.

He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge.