New Video! From 60lbs overweight, grades dropping, to 6-pack, married, successful business. The story of Nicholas Bayerle.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

User's gender given in their profile [REJECTED]

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a little suggestion, maybe it would be a good thing to include a user's gender in their profile, so that is visible e.g. under the avatar and helps other users to address the person correctly. Here where we use pseuds and names which do not necessarily make it easy to guess whether a given user is male or female, and the avatars do not make it clear, either.There are some women here and I don't think they would like to mistaken for men ;)

1 person likes this

Posted

heh, should make dating easier ;)

I mean, wat. I thought we said we weren't going to play games?!

..no? anyone? I'll show myself out.

Posted (edited)

Honestly, as a female, I'd rather not call attention to it. They can go to my introduction post or read my journal if they don't know.

Not all women have had positive experiences online, and should they want to be anonymous they should be allowed that instead of encouraged to come out as male or female.

It's not as bad now as it was when I was under 18, perhaps the internet has changed, and I was wary even being female on here. In mmo's I'd never tell people I was female until I got on a voip with them. 

I just don't see it as a big deal I guess. Does it really change the advice we get other than nofap and possible dating advice?

Edited by Laney
1 person likes this

Posted

I'm with Laney on this one. We kind of assume everyone here is male unless otherwise pointed out, and women definitely have gotten a lot of shit over the years in gaming. To the point that it's part of why I want to quit gaming because I don't want to be associated with the worst of them. The gaming community has become an embarrassment.

At first I was thinking a solution could be to have a "prefer not to say" option. But I feel like this could work kinda like the Ethnicity category on forms. If you put "prefer not to say," you're most likely white. Except this could be the opposite, where women might be more likely to check that box, because men haven't had the same negative experiences and wouldn't care to hide their gender.

So yeah, it might just be better to leave it off entirely. It doesn't really change anything.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the suggestion, Primmulla! 

I'm happy to support Laney on this one if it will make the environment feel safer for everyone (including women.)

Although this community is male-heavy at the moment, the gaming community at large is not (56% male, 44% female, women age 18 or older represent 33% of the gaming community compared to 15% for boys 18 or younger.) Source

And I believe there are many more women out there who will join our community in the future (my hypothesis is that many women who have addictive behavior are 30+ with mobile games).

Anyways, I apologize in advance to any women I call man or dude. Please correct me and others. :)

1 person likes this