New Video! From 60lbs overweight, grades dropping, to 6-pack, married, successful business. The story of Nicholas Bayerle.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Game Quitters App

26 posts in this topic

Posted

I would love to see a Game Quitters App

1 person likes this

Posted

I would love to see a Game Quitters App

?What would you want to see in it?

Posted

I am thinking of an app designed to help game quitters become friends. More emphasis would be put on people having a profile and having pictures of the things they are doing/ accomplishing in their lives. Perhaps you might have a "challenge of the day" and people who have the app can post photos of themselves/ the results of completing the challenge.

I am thinking of an app like facebook, but of course designed for a community of game quitters. Your goal should be to provide incentives to those using the app to strike up a conversation with someone else and perhaps take quizzes about the other person. By emphasizing the goal of making friends, you feel like you are part of something special, and you learn other people's perspectives and use their ideas to shape your own. The thing that will make people keep coming back to game quitters is having positive interactions with people they have made friends with. Perhaps some will then try to meet each other.

Have interactive portions of the app, where a person fills in their accomplishments and goals and what they have completed. Ask questions about what interests you and if say two people like hiking then use the app to direct them toward each other. Take lessons from apps like OKCupid. Make it similar in many ways, where you match people with each other based on a percentage similarity. Most likely the game quitters aren't gonna date each other (lol) but they might meet up for activites.

I remember that when I made a clan while playing Destiny, we would talk each night and play together, and we ended up really wanting to meet each other. I ended up spending the weekend with a group of them in San Diego a couple months ago. I had only met them through games, but we were good friends and had a splendid time.

The whole idea of a game quitters community is that you are trying to bring likeminded people together. So why not make that the focus of a game quitters app?

Yes I know my ideas are gold :)

1 person likes this

Posted

You could have a free membership, where the gamer quitters first meet and make friendships and stuff. Then you could have a premium memberships where the participants could embark on challenges together. Challenges designed by you.

Encourage people to write daily blogs/ journals and allow them to have followers who get notifications when new content is produced. Like if somebody wants to write about fitness, encourage them to write articles and have the readers comment.

If somebody is brand new and doesn't know anybody but starts a profile, have a system where people are encouraged to message the new members and make them feel welcome, right off the bat.

Posted

This idea could work because you have a clear clientele. If some random person were to try to create an app to bring people together and make friends, unless its facebook, they would fail. That's because there isn't a purpose defining their service/ product. Somebody who creates an app like that is starting with the what and the how but not the why.

YOU, on the other hand, already have the WHY. People know WHY they need to quit video games. They just need to know HOW. Well, by working on other activites/ projects AND MEETING LIKEMINDED PEOPLE, you take care of that. All that's left is the what: and that would be the app that you create. A game quitters app, for a game quitters community :)

Posted

If you want to hire me, awesome. But bear in mind that minimum wage where I live is 10.30 dollars per hour.

That was a joke btw :P

Posted

YOU, on the other hand, already have the WHY. People know WHY they need to quit video games

For you, the "why" would be that you want to help people move on from video games, because you want to help them and because you believe that there is great untapped potential in gamers.

Posted

Awesome, thanks for the great ideas. I've marked them down when I start building the prototype into the app. An app for Game Quitters is inevitable (refer to my email), now it's just continuing to grow the community to a spot where the demand for an app is right.

Posted

Awesome, thanks for the great ideas. I've marked them down when I start building the prototype into the app. An app for Game Quitters is inevitable (refer to my email), now it's just continuing to grow the community to a spot where the demand for an app is right.

?I'm glad you like them!

Posted

Thank you Zane for suggesting this! By the way, great to see another '96 baby on this forum (November)! It's because I'm having private convos with Cam, & I'm trying to get notifications when he replies (like my Twitter & Instagram apps).

Posted

It's because I'm having private convos with Cam, & I'm trying to get notifications when he replies (like my Twitter & Instagram apps).

?In settings you should be able to set notifications to email you when I reply.

Posted

I already did that, but I get too many emails from too many sources, so every time I get an email, I check this website, even though 90% of the time, it's nothing to do with this website.

Posted

Ah, gotcha.

Check out unroll.me - it's a good way to clear your inbox from a lot of the clutter.

1 person likes this

Posted

Why not just gamify the features that we have in this forum? In other words, take Zane's great ideas and incorporate them into this community. I feel like if we have both the forum and the app, people are going to jump between both mediums all the time and not know where they should be investing their time. This could overwhelm the user and lead to lowered progress. Having just one really solid community for game-quitters to go to would boost the quality and value this forum already has.

Just my $0.02

1 person likes this

Posted

Just my $0.02

?Totally, I feel you on that 100%. I think no matter what the forum is building into being the central place for people to connect. I have some ideas for how we can generate more connection between each other on here (accountability partners, challenges, etc) that I plan to launch soon (if you have ideas please let me know).

The original vision of the app isa much leaner version of what Zane presented. I think it would be valuable to have the missions from the Game Quitters Challenge in an app form (compared to the PDF of which it is right now), and have different missions you can commit to going on depending on what skill of yours you want to develop (Today I want to develop more confidence, so I will select a mission for confidence. *next day* Today I want to develop more empathy, so I will select a mission for empathy.) These could be gamified (levels, etc) although my initial instinct is to keep the gamification to be simpler because I think it's really easy for it to become lame (imo HabitRPG is on the wrong side of this).

And then have this forum as a way of centralizing the discussion and "social network" components of the community. Ideally the forum would integrate into the app.

Right now, I'm handling everything myself so there are stages to all of this. PDF versions of the products are good for now, I'm excited to make them better (videos, more support, etc) over time, while continuing to build the community engagement and growing the community (not just in scale - there's so many people out there who don't know this community exists who would like to be a part of it - but also in contribution - I have a vision of all of us coming together to leverage the power of the community to make an impact as well.)

A few thoughts for you guys. I'm basically working every minute on this, in a year I think we'll see how far the community has come, but it's slowly improving every day.

2 people like this