"Be open to all outcomes, but attached to none."

Jacob's Journal

34 posts in this topic

Posted

2/20/2017

Day's without gaming: 22

Had an awesome day. Didn't have work today so I was able to practice coding and continue work on my site. My current goal is to have a development job by October so I need to pick up the pace. I want to finish my site by the end of Wednesday.

I had my first personal trainer appointment today. It went well he showed me how to fix my bench press form. He also taught me how to squat. I've wanted to incorporate squats in my workouts but have always been hesitant to start.

I really want to start waking up early and be in the gym within 10 minutes of waking up. Starting this habit would address two problems I have. The first being it's easier to get out of bed if I have something planned to do and second when I plan to go to the gym in the evening I usually don't go.

Today I am grateful for:

1.Gym

2. Having a bed to sleep in

3. The vast amount of information available to teach yourself new skills.

Good things that happened to me today:

1. Took another step in the right direction for personal fitness

2. The woman who took my order at chickfila was really friendly, also I ate chickfila.

3. I felt proud of myself for the work I completed.

2 people like this

Posted

Glad you had a good day! Can we support you at all to help you get that development job by October?

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank's for looking out Cam. I think this is something I just need to put the practice in order to be ready for. My accountability partner has been doing a good job helping me stay focused. I think what would help me is to include my growth in programming in my daily journals.

1 person likes this

Posted

2/21/2017

Day's without gaming: 23

First day where I didn't have to fight for control to not game. I still had cravings but they were very mild. I need to increase my time per day working on programming as my main life goal right now is to start a career. I worked out today which was  good. The trainer has been worth the money. I felt a lot more confident going to the gym today since I had the knowledge from our last session. I congratulated myself on working out. I need to remember to praise myself for my successes more often as I'm usually very hard on myself.

I'm considering moving to Colorado once I finish Free Code Camp as there are more tech jobs out there as well as the best coding schools. My dad lives in Denver and told me I can sleep in his guest room for as long as I need.

Today I am grateful for:

1. Steak

2. Motivational Music

3. This community!

1. I found a ribeye steak at Kroger that was on sale for $6! (Such an awesome lunch)

2. Good workout session

3. My manager commented on how my speed is improving completing tasks.

Coding progress:

Got the rough draft of my website posted. I want to finish uploading the first draft Wednesday.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Love the journal, great journey so far!

I especially like the way you're getting to the gym and working on your coding. Those skills you develop are always there down the road. Having those kind of positive skills to draw on help to get me back on the right path when I'm struggling with my self-image, who I am.

Edited by Simms
2 people like this

Posted

Great job man, and kudos on the ribeye (my favorite cut).  Another plus about Denver, you know someone else who lives in the area, me of course.  Keep plugging away at the coding, and great job sticking with it at the gym.

N

1 person likes this

Posted

2/23/2017

Day's without gaming: 25

Had an awesome day in the gym. Learned to dead lift properly today. Work was good. Everyone was in an awesome mood. Went to a javascript class didn't learn anything from the class. I did talk with someone that is working in the industry as a back end developer which was cool. That one conversation made the 2 and half hours worth my time.

Today I am grateful for:

1. Deoderant

2. Hugs

3. My bed at the end of a long day

1. A customer told me I am handsome

2. Learned a new skill(how to deadlift)

3. Only had one drink at work(typically have 3)

Coding progress:

Finished another coding challenge on FreeCodeCamp.

1 person likes this

Posted

2/27/2017

Day's without gaming: 29

I've been really struggling to do this journal entry. I don't have that much to update on. I've been really struggling with motivation. A few days a go my good friends boyfriend was jealous of our friendship and told me he was going to find were I live and kick my ass. I've never been threatened before so it really through me off my game. I kind of went on a downward spiral from that but tomorrow is a new day and I'll start back on my grind then. I've started using the app headspace to help start a meditation habit.

I'm starting stronglifts 5x5 program for my workouts now. This program was recommended by the personal trainer I hired.

I can't believe it has almost been a month! I really have accomplished quiet alot in the past 29 days. It really reaffirms my decision to quit games. I know I've had a lot of struggles but I'm eating a lot better than I have in the past 4 years. I've started going to gym and figuring things out(haven't made much progress but I'm starting the habit of going). I've really gotten started working to my career goals everyday. I've been feeling really uneasy since I started my journey here at game quitters. Like this constant feeling of uneasy and uncomfortably in my mind. I think I've finally realized what this feeling is. It's the part of me that wants to go back to the way things used to be. It's like the old version of me is fighting but a new better version me is coming out and the pain is the old one dying. I'm not sure if this makes sense. It's hard to explain some of the thoughts and emotions I've been feeling.

One emotion I haven't felt in awhile is guilt. The amazing thing is I was in a constant state of guilt when I was gaming.

Today I am grateful for:

1. Friends

2. Croissants

3. That I own a reliable car

1. Bought new sneakers that are really comfortable.

2. Meet up with a new friend and had some cool conversation

3. Had a delicious croissant

Coding progress:

Start back on a coding challenge tomorrow after the gym.

1 person likes this

Posted

It makes sense,  you nailed it.

N

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks man.

Posted

I've been feeling really uneasy since I started my journey here at game quitters. Like this constant feeling of uneasy and uncomfortably in my mind. I think I've finally realized what this feeling is. It's the part of me that wants to go back to the way things used to be. It's like the old version of me is fighting but a new better version me is coming out and the pain is the old one dying. I'm not sure if this makes sense. It's hard to explain some of the thoughts and emotions I've been feeling.

I'm feeling the same at the moment - I'm going to sell my PC but there's an inner conflict between my old personality and the new one. 

1 person likes this

Posted

3/04/2017

Day's without gaming: 34

1/3 of the way to 90 days!!!! I'm one week into the new workout program and I'm already noticing differences. My legs feel stronger as it feels easier to walk around. I've been putting off laundry for a few days now so I really need to do that tonight. All and all today was a good day.

I've noticed that the more energy I apply to bettering myself each day. The better I feel and the easier it is to do the next right thing.

Today I am grateful for:

1. Understanding people

2. Community

3. Friendship

1. They needed me to come in earlier to work.

2. Felt more rested than usual(still need to work on getting better sleep)

3. The work day went by quickly.

Coding progress:

Completed 6 coding challenges since last journal. Half way through intermediate algorithm

1 person likes this

Posted

3/08/2017

Day's without gaming: 38

Good day today. I have been having sleep problems the past few weeks and when to the doctor on Monday. She gave me some medicine to help me sleep. Nice to finally have a full nights sleep. This mornings workout went well. My first time completing an entire workout from my program by myself. In the past I only did one or two exercises as practice.

Getting back on the ball havent done much programming this past week. Rewrote my plan for completing things. Talked to my dad about moving to Denver in a few months. I've also been looking into coding schools. I would like to start applying for work once I finish my certification in April.

I am grateful for:

1. Family

2. Water

3. Exercise

1. I ate some awesome noodles from Panda Express.

2. Had some free croissants from work this morning.

3. Got a lot coding challenges done.

Coding progress:

Reworked my schedule since falling behind last week. Moved things around so I can still finish by April. Should be done with my protfolio page by tomorrow night.

2 people like this

Posted

Denver is a dope spot! I'll be out that way in June if you're around. 

Posted

Thanks Cam I'll let you know. It depends on how my first round of applications pan out.