"Be open to all outcomes, but attached to none."

Übermensch

100 posts in this topic

Posted

So, I'm starting my third journal with this one, with the exception of this one being finalized. This is due to two reasons. 

1. I didn't know how the journals work and I shall embrace my technical messup. 
  2. I now know that I am here to stay for my 90 days, and then maybe for more. We shall see how it goes.

I chose Übermensch as the title because I like the philosophy Nietzsche constructed around human development. That the purpose of human life is self improvement until a "human beyond human" state is achieved. Although in a sense designed to be unachievable, I feel this is a worthy goal of any self respecting man. I have approximately between 50 and 80 years to live, and I want to make the most of it. So here I am to start with step one. My name is Csaba, and welcome to my official GameQuitters journal. This is day 4 of my detox.

I am currently in the middle of exam season, once I break away from this and get to implement a more regular system into my life, my journal will be more consistent. 

Today I have successfully exercised, helped a friend install windows, and studied for tomorrow. My attention span is slowly but surely increasing over time. I also furthered my plans I was making for travel during the summer. 

My goals for the following 86 days

Read / Listen to 3 books. 

Implement a successful daily routine

Demonstrate commitment in at least 2 things that are not strictly education related (because that should be standard) 

Find a good way to manage my time 

Unravel my biological clock and determine which parts of the day I am most efficient at. 

Learn how to cook. 

Further ideas TBD. 

Thank you for your patience through my technical hiccup of 3 "new journals" started in 3 days.

Thank you for reading.

-Csaba

uber.png

5 people like this

Posted

Hey Csaba, nice to have you here. I really like the title of your journal and how you implemented Nietzsches mustache in that picture.

How did you manage to write the Ü, since it does not exist on your keyboard I suppose?
And why are you so interested in german philosophers? I even found a quote from Kant in your signature.

Makes me as a German quite curious ;-)

2 people like this

Posted

Hey Csaba, nice to have you here. I really like the title of your journal and how you implemented Nietzsches mustache in that picture.

How did you manage to write the Ü, since it does not exist on your keyboard I suppose?
And why are you so interested in german philosophers? I even found a quote from Kant in your signature.

Makes me as a German quite curious ;-)

Hey Fagus! 

I'm afraid the image is not mine, I ripped it from the internet haha. Also I am Hungarian I just study in the UK and the system instantly assigned me to the UK. We do have Ü btw, alongside fun things such as Ű Ő and Ö. 

I have had an interest in philosophy since my first encounter with Nietzsche coming from a quote from dota 2 (honestly the only good thing I got out of that game) where the character Enigma has a voiceline saying "And I also stare into you" referring to Nietzsche's infamous line regarding man's search for truth and introspection. From then on I just started researching but beyond the general concepts I still don't have a strong grasp of their philsophies. I do have Kant's critique of pure reason on my shelf, soon to be read! I also have a short collection of Nietzche but I would be interested in buying one of his complete pieces. I was thinking Thus Spoke Zarathustra! 

TLDR: I came across their works randomly and found them too grasping to avoid! I shall investigate their knowledge further as I progress through my detox. 

:) 

Posted

Welcome back, Csaba!

Time management tool = Calendar. Get one and start filling your days with stuff you wanna do!

1 person likes this

Posted

Today is day 6 of nogaming. Journal 2. 

Today I was not super useful, but I didn't relapse either so I call that a success of sorts. Yesterday I wrote an exam which went well so I felt that I can take today "off" as a well earned reward of sorts. I listened to my audiobook, The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F ck by Mark Manson. It is a brilliant piece and gets me closer to my book count goal. Tonight I will go to an Integrated Martial Arts training and hope to learn something new while getting exercise. I am also cleaning quite effectively. When I come to think of it, today wasn't quite as wasted as I believed it would be. I also started a getplan.co account and I have a great time using it as a time management tool. So far so good. 

One step at a time I guess. 

-Csaba

1 person likes this

Posted

Martial arts are awesome and definitely worth trying! I've bought "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" few weeks ago, but I'm busy reading other books. Maybe it's time to finally read it? :) Remember - 90 days without gaming is easy, you can achieve it easily. The most important thing is to not waste your time by watching youtube, browsing Internet or watching anime ;) And why only one book per month? :D

1 person likes this

Posted

Martial arts are awesome and definitely worth trying! I've bought "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" few weeks ago, but I'm busy reading other books. Maybe it's time to finally read it? :) Remember - 90 days without gaming is easy, you can achieve it easily. The most important thing is to not waste your time by watching youtube, browsing Internet or watching anime ;) And why only one book per month? :D

I already blocked youtube and facebook, 9gag and more, and only check fb when I need to know if anything has been updated in societies I'm currently part of. I rarely watch shows and the only things I'm really interested in are currently being made (Rick and Morty, Bojack, AoT) so I don't feel these are escapist urges. Also, only 3 books because I'm also a university student and need to get my learning in. I want to do a lot more work this semester than last. Thanks for the comment and inquiry! Means a lot! And anytime is a good time for German philosophy. I have Beyond Good and Evil ordered online already. Can't wait for it to arrive :) 

Posted

Today is day 6 of nogaming. Journal 2. 

Today I was not super useful, but I didn't relapse either so I call that a success of sorts. Yesterday I wrote an exam which went well so I felt that I can take today "off" as a well earned reward of sorts. I listened to my audiobook, The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F ck by Mark Manson. It is a brilliant piece and gets me closer to my book count goal. Tonight I will go to an Integrated Martial Arts training and hope to learn something new while getting exercise. I am also cleaning quite effectively. When I come to think of it, today wasn't quite as wasted as I believed it would be. I also started a getplan.co account and I have a great time using it as a time management tool. So far so good. 

One step at a time I guess. 

-Csaba

Pretty solid day! Keep it up. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

You're doing great, keep at it!!!

Keep fighting to reach your goals.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Journal 3. 

Day 7. I keep feeling like I'm wasting my time. Until now I was strictly limited about what I need to do but once again I feel out of control, and even if I achieve something I don't feel a sense of achievement for having done so. I have always experienced this probably due to my problems with games. Instant feedback. It still haunts me but I'm only 7 days in so I won't over-mistify it. 

I rested today, yesterday was the first time I exercised in a long time so I think I needed the recovery. I managed to restore my sleep cycle to a 7 o'clock rise once again which I'm quite happy with. 

Tomorrow I intend to approximately record the amount of time I spend on things, in comparison to the plan I'm about to lay out right now.  Also, I need to lay out my plans for the next day, so I shall make that an official habit. 

Thank you for reading. 

-Csaba

Edited by Csaba_Bekesi
1 person likes this

Posted

Journal 4. 

Day 8. I procrastinated over what was important but because I overslept I will now try my best to catch up to that. Overall my day was fine I was pseudo productive, and have new plans in mind. I found an accountability buddy. 

I'll keep it short today. 

One step at a time I guess

-Csaba

1 person likes this

Posted

Don't surrender!!

Blocking YouTube is radical, very strong!

1 person likes this

Posted

Journal 3. 

Day 7. I keep feeling like I'm wasting my time. Until now I was strictly limited about what I need to do but once again I feel out of control, and even if I achieve something I don't feel a sense of achievement for having done so. I have always experienced this probably due to my problems with games. Instant feedback. It still haunts me but I'm only 7 days in so I won't over-mistify it. 

I rested today, yesterday was the first time I exercised in a long time so I think I needed the recovery. I managed to restore my sleep cycle to a 7 o'clock rise once again which I'm quite happy with. 

Tomorrow I intend to approximately record the amount of time I spend on things, in comparison to the plan I'm about to lay out right now.  Also, I need to lay out my plans for the next day, so I shall make that an official habit. 

Thank you for reading. 

-Csaba

I exeriment wiht kanban as a weekly plan and every time I put one Task into the done category there is a Little isntant gratification. Maybe worth for you to check it out. I wrote more in Detail about the planning method here.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Journal 5. Day 11. 

As you might notice I skipped a few days of journal writing despite my own best advice. I was forced to realise I relapsed. I visited youtube and facebook beyond the limitations (social justification), but still managed to 98% refrain from gaming content. (The other 2 percent come from hints of ads and one preview that I watched the first 20 seconds of). I feel I have already been somewhat derailed. I feel on track just severely halted. Like when you feel like eveything is perfect, trafic flows in front of you then a red light strikes and you can't move for half an eternity. But today I won't let that hang over me. 

I will try to cook something new to shake things up and I will pick up a new audiobook. I will also cover all the remaining theory in my exam and do some past papers for it. 

I won't let myself sink. And you guys are a big part of that. Thank you, truly. @WorkInProgress thank you for kanban. I have been wondering how I could replace habitica. Habitica feels very gimmicky and the whole gamification thing was making me uneasy so that's going to be a nice transition. 

Although late, I will start my day. My body craved sleep, it recieved it, I will not get demoralized. I'll see you all soon.

Sincerely,

-Csaba 

1 person likes this

Posted

Cooking and cleaning is a good routine, when everything else doesn't work.

1 person likes this