We've reached over 20,000 journal entries! Thanks to everyone for making this a special place.

Time for something new

135 posts in this topic

Posted

Well now it's right back to square one for me, this will be day 1 in my Game Free life. After a streak of 34 days, I will reflect on what helped me be successful in the past and learn from it.

@Mhyrion I appreciate your support and believing in me even though I've lost my confidence.  Let's beat this together and help each other wherever we can.

Also to everyone else, thank you for your support as well and I will also support you however I can. We all share a common goal and that is to remove gaming from our lives.

Let's leave behind what weighs us down and continue pressing forward. 

Well, we all have to move forward in small steps. Your next goal is 35, and then 36 etc... you can do it ;)

1 person likes this

Posted

As I said previously I've lost my confidence and now I'm not even sure I can beat this anymore. This on top of everything else that I'm dealing with is weighing me down. Gaming to me was a way for me to unwind and to push everything to one side, even temporarily. Even over the 34 days that I was game free I had really difficult days that were a roller coaster of emotions. Some days would be good and others I would be at a very low point. I really feel overwhelmed at this point and I did say that I was going to keep fighting but I really feel that I can't fight anymore. I feel that I should step away from Gamequitters and try to figure this one out on my own, rather than bombard you with my struggles. 

I will at least give it some time before I make my final decision. Sorry for another rant or for sounding like a broken record😔

Posted

As I said previously I've lost my confidence and now I'm not even sure I can beat this anymore. This on top of everything else that I'm dealing with is weighing me down. Gaming to me was a way for me to unwind and to push everything to one side, even temporarily. Even over the 34 days that I was game free I had really difficult days that were a roller coaster of emotions. Some days would be good and others I would be at a very low point. I really feel overwhelmed at this point and I did say that I was going to keep fighting but I really feel that I can't fight anymore. I feel that I should step away from Gamequitters and try to figure this one out on my own, rather than bombard you with my struggles. 

I will at least give it some time before I make my final decision. Sorry for another rant or for sounding like a broken record😔

I am really interested in your struggles, so please continue writing them here. 

Don't give up. You are currently struggling because you don't have an emotional outlet at the moment, because your emotional outlet were video games.
It might take a while, but find something that is an emotional outlet for you. For me it is playing bass and creating music, for others it is exercising, boxing, running, geochaching. Before giving up I would try out to find a great hobby that serves as such an outlet. 

Posted (edited)

@Matthias

You're right, I shouldn't give up and I really need to find things to do that will be an emotional outlet for me. Also I need to look back and see what helped me to be successful in the past. Thanks for helping me to see the need to keep fighting. 

When I made yesterday's post I really wasn't thinking clearly and my emotions were getting the better of me and telling me I couldn't do it.

I need to think of it this way, things will get better with time. No matter how many times I fall, the important thing is that I keep getting back up. With that said I did have another relapse into gaming yesterday but today is a new day. 

This is day 1 of my Game Free life and sure it's going to be hard but also it is possible for me to beat this. 

"Leave the Pixel World and Enter the Real World."

Edited by Stevec2283

Posted

@Matthias

You're right, I shouldn't give up and I really need to find things to do that will be an emotional outlet for me. Also I need to look back and see what helped me to be successful in the past. Thanks for helping me to see the need to keep fighting. 

When I made yesterday's post I really wasn't thinking clearly and my emotions were getting the better of me and telling me I couldn't do it.

I need to think of it this way, things will get better with time. No matter how many times I fall, the important thing is that I keep getting back up. With that said I did have another relapse into gaming yesterday but today is a new day. 

This is day 1 of my Game Free life and sure it's going to be hard but also it is possible for me to beat this. 

Just try stuff out. Go to basketball training or join other clubs, even if you don't like it at quit after one month ( i would recommend one month, something like boxing isn't very fun at the beginning) , and the worse thing that happened is you lost a bit of money and found new friends. 

Remember: today is one day, focus on today. Don't game just for today. That is your goal not more. Don't think about the time you won't game just focus on today, and just plan that you have no time to play computer games. 

Posted

Just a little quick update on how I'm doing:

Today is the start of Day 3 for me and I'm doing well so far. The past few days have been good and I haven't had any urges for gaming. I've also occupied my time with other things such as reading and I'm going to try and incorporate other activities, but at first I'm going to limit them, so I don't overwhelm myself with too much. Hope you all have a good day and keep fighting to reach your goals.

3 people like this

Posted

Here's a little something that I was working on today. My sad attempt at drawing something 😂IMG_0467.thumb.JPG.ffcb3dbc79f4841ab5ab3

2 people like this

Posted

Yeah it's easy to overwhelm yourself when planning like an optimist, I guess that's kinda why I've relapsed twice already :|. Almost just starting out myself, will definitely keep tabs on your progress. Good luck!

Posted

Here's a little something that I was working on today. My sad attempt at drawing something 😂IMG_0467.thumb.JPG.ffcb3dbc79f4841ab5ab3

See the thing is. In art, a human is never satisfied, because there is no end goal like there is in other areas. You can always make, create something new. It doesn't matter how good you think, or others think your drawing is, as long as you improve yourself everyday and there is progress.  The joy in art, is not really the art itself, but the progress you see yourself going threw.  That is a lifelong experience and journey. 

And i really like your drawing. it is not a sad attempt. It is a good one . Don't belittle yourself :)

1 person likes this

Posted

And i really like your drawing. it is not a sad attempt. It is a good one . Don't belittle yourself :)

Thanks... I guess like anything, with practice you can improve.

Posted

Here's the finished product of what I attempted to draw yesterday. I'm trying to learn how to draw as another hobby.

IMG_0471.thumb.JPG.970e8f3c63ca047edc047

Posted

Now, where do I start? Over the past few days I've been dealing with a number of emotions but not all of them have to do with just gaming but other things I'm dealing with in my life, this has lead me to think about gaming, but I haven't given in. That being said it can be quite frustrating at times and there are times when I start my day on a positive, only to have it shift and for me to feel down and not feel like doing much of anything. I think that maybe I need to shift my focus away from quitting gaming to dealing with the other things I'm dealing with in life. As I've said previously, I think I may have to try and figure this one out on my own, so after much thought I think I'm going to leave Gamequitters but unlike times past, this time I don't know if I will return or not.

And to all of you who have helped me, I appreciate all that you've done. Sorry that you've had to read through my many rants in which I've sounded like a broken record.

Take care everyone and I wish you all the best

Posted

First of all I want to apologize to everyone here because I may not have seemed very serious about quitting gaming, but I am very serious about quitting. Also I'm sorry for you having to read my many broken record like posts.  

It's been just about a week since I said that I was going leave Gamequitters and I wasn't sure if I would return or not but I've decided that I can't do this on my own. On my own I've already failed miserably and have relapsed, but as of last night I decided that I want to keep fighting to reach the goal of a game free life. I've come realize that even though games provide a temporary escape from the things I'm dealing with, they don't change anything and they don't really make me feel any better. If anything, games make me feel worse because I think about the time I've wasted that I could be using doing things to improve my situation. Over the past few months as you have seen from my posts I've been struggling and for a time I was able to reach 34 days game free but then I let my emotions get the better of me and I've been continuing to let that happen.  

Enough is enough and I have to look at what helped me to be successful in the past and learn from it. No longer do I want to be controlled by gaming but I want to break free from it. 

Later today will be 1 day game free and I know that it's a long journey but I'm only going to focus on one day at a time.

Posted (edited)

Today is Day 5 of my game free life. So far things have been going well, and with the time I would have spent gaming I've replaced it with more productive activities. Apart from work which occupies a good portion of the day, I've been able to start getting active again(ie. walking to and from work). I've been doing some reading and I also been trying to consider some other activities that might be good for me to incorporate in my game free life. There are times that I engage in non productive activities (ie. watching TV), but the main thing is that I'm not gaming. I'm taking small steps to reach a bigger goal, that of first completing the 90 day detox.

Do I still think about gaming? Of course! But rather than allow myself to have temporary enjoyment, I'd rather work towards something that is worthwhile, something that will have a lasting effect. 

The journey is a long one and yes there are going to ups and downs, but I just have to keep fighting.

Edited by Stevec2283
1 person likes this

Posted

Just a quick update, it's now a week since I stopped gaming. As I've said before I still think about gaming from time to time but I'm not going to let it control me anymore. Over the past week I've been doing well in occupying my time with other activities and for the most part I try to do things that are productive. 

It's going to take a lot of effort to beat this, but I know that it's possible if I really give it my all.