NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Should You Watch Gaming Streams?

Cam Adair

• 1 month later...

I have quite different experience than the one described here. I am not sure what is meant by "streams" - if it means a live transmission of someone playing a game in real time, I have never seen a game stream. I have only watched films made about the game, heavily edited and focusing on the story-telling aspect rather than on the game mechanics itself. In fact, it was the story the game was telling that attracted me to it, since I discovered that games can be as good at telling tales as literature and films are. And in my case, watching the gaming films rather discouraged me from playing. Firstly because I played primarily to get to know the story, to learn "what happens next," and there was little to no sense in playing when I already knew all what I wanted to know simply from watching the gaming film, since I was familiar with the "spoilers," there was nothing left to be discovered by gaming. And watching the film, I was able to discover another part of the game's story in a much easier and faster way, without having to do anything, simply by watching someone else do all that difficult gaming stuff. I wasn't exactly the best gamer in the universe ;) in fact, I rather sucked at playing and it took me often a long time to defeat a boss so that I could go on with the story, so it was a win-win for me to watch someone else doing these things for myself ( I don't think it is typical of an addicted person, I actually wanted to have some "gaming minions" who would do all the hard stuff for me so I only get to enjoy the scenery afterwards ;) ) Also, watching these films was discouraging in another way, namely, as far as the game's story was concerned, I was far behind the guy whose gaming I was watching, and it demotivated me from playing when I realised how long do I have to play in order to reach the point that he is in now. And of course it is easier to go through the same parts of the game which I saw on the films, but what is the point of watching the same thing twice, first on the film and then while playing myself, when I know the spoilers? It may sound counter-intuitive, but if you were playing the game for its story, as I did, watching someone else to play this game to the end so that you can learn how the tale finishes is actually a good solution. My friend is not a gamer, but she likes watching gaming films and game cinematics just like she watches a "normal" film.

I sometimes think this as I too play PC games for the story. I often tell people that some games have better stories than many books and movies (think Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed etc). I have, on occasion watched videos of games if I got stuck and want to know how the story turns out. I have a harder time watching entire playthroughs,  as I get that itch to not just watch the story, but be IN the story. Also, I try to watch cut scenes only, but a lot of the story is right in the gameplay and that feeds that itch. It's a struggle, that's for sure.

I sometimes think this as I too play PC games for the story. I often tell people that some games have better stories than many books and movies (think Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed etc). I have, on occasion watched videos of games if I got stuck and want to know how the story turns out. I have a harder time watching entire playthroughs,  as I get that itch to not just watch the story, but be IN the story. Also, I try to watch cut scenes only, but a lot of the story is right in the gameplay and that feeds that itch. It's a struggle, that's for sure.

That's why I'd just stop watching the storylines of games too.

It's not worth a relapse. I mean, what else are you doing in life that makes you want to not play games? Those are important things, and the storyline of some game, while entertaining and intriguing, just isn't worth losing out on those important things.