Limited Time: Book a 1 on 1 coaching session (1hr) with Cam ($97). Click Here.

The Secret to Good Conversations

5 posts in this topic

Posted

When I was in high school the majority of socializing was sitting at a table with my friends (usually the same people) and occasionally showing an image on my phone that I found to be funny. This similar style transitioned into work, when I was on break everyone was usually on their phone. But no one really talked to each-other. At all?! Odds are, they are either doing something productive, or just trying to escape the awkwardness of making conversation. Trying to escape the present moment (similar to what gaming was)

I quit gaming going into my second year of my course. Now I strike up conversations as much as I can! I started talking to the new students to the school and some of them have some amazing things to say/show. If someone says they did something on the weekend? Ask them about it. They mention that they work somewhere? Ask them what that experience is like! They might have more to say about it but are so distracted they don't think about it. Storytelling is something that is getting lost more and more nowadays, it is something that I would consider to be a novelty.

Earlier this week I talked to this one guy let's call him Jack ( that might be his name, it might not, maybe I changed one letter) and he had some really interesting stuff to say about the place he worked. How the faster you worked to complete a task, the more dough you got and how sometimes depending on the task. It can be extremely risky! I never expected a story like his at the beginning of the conversation.

I personally disagree with people asking questions like "what's up?" "how are you doing?" and replies like "fine" and good". It is generally a one sided conversation and does not go much further. People just trying to talk about them all the time, but then again you are doing the same thing! By trying to talk about yourself as well; you end up listening and then forgetting about it JUST SO you can say what you want. It's a one sided conversation (some of the time).There's probably something that someone is really passionate to talk about! But they aren't sure how to express themselves. If you are shy in striking up conversations with others, maybe try doing it with people that might also be shy!

ALSO a way to get good at something is to keep practicing it, I have been talking to others more rather than going on my phone (I make it a challenge to use my phone as a tool and to get home with as MUCH battery as possible) If you don't already TRY IT! You might make some new friends! :D

This might come off as a rant, first try at this let me know what you think :)

P.S. If you have tips to good conversations that I have not covered here, leave a reply for everyone else to read!

3 people like this

Posted

Thanks for the input, that was some really helpful advice!

1 person likes this

Posted

Great post!

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the input, that was some really helpful advice!

You're welcome! Glad to be of help :)

Posted

Great post!

Thanks Cam *brofist emoji*

1 person likes this