NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Craig's Journal

Craig

11/09/16     

Well, today I just got to my office to start chipping away at my backlogged work.  I'm glad I erased everything off of my Consoles before I left yesterday otherwise I would most likely be playing instead of making a journal entry.  The sooner I get these consoles sold, the better.  Oh by the way, guess why I have 2 consoles...  Because I quit before and gave a console to my friend.  Then when I was "jonesing" to play I stopped by Frys and bought a new one.  When I signed in my friend couldn't use my games anymore so he returned it. Doh! Should have stuck to my guns.  Iv'e been watching the videos and I'm reading Respawn.  I'm looking forward to being "detoxed" ... and catching up on my office work. 

Edited by Craig

• Guest pinned this topic

Getting rid of games and consoles is a very wise decision. You will not be distracted by them, which lowers chances for relapse. Also, this gives you money to invest in a new hobby perhaps?

Nobody has bought them yet, so they are sitting there tempting me.  Kind of like being on a diet and your friend orders a pizza. Today is gonna be rough haha. I have some hobbies lined up for when I catch up on my office work. I am also planning to start exercising again as well

07/11/16

So today is pretty hard.  It's really the first day that I sat down in the situation where I would normally convince myself to play some online multiplayer.  The consoles are still sitting over by the wall staring at me.  I did schedule a service call this morning and actually made some money which is good (I own an electric company.)  I'm gonna buckle down and hopefully get myself in the swing of my office work.  Blerg. Wish me luck. 

And of course, a new DLC is released tomorrow.  Time to unsubscribe from email lists.  

07/11/16

So today is pretty hard.  It's really the first day that I sat down in the situation where I would normally convince myself to play some online multiplayer.  The consoles are still sitting over by the wall staring at me.  I did schedule a service call this morning and actually made some money which is good (I own an electric company.)  I'm gonna buckle down and hopefully get myself in the swing of my office work.  Blerg. Wish me luck. 

And of course, a new DLC is released tomorrow.  Time to unsubscribe from email lists.  

Yep unsubscribe. You've got this :)

• Guest unpinned this topic

Its hard because games often provide us with our feelings of fun, social, community and challenge.

So when we quit we need to find replacements for all of those things.

Work is a good distraction but we also need to find fun things to do which aren't games. Find oeople who dont game etc etc. 

Keep up the good work.

7/12/16

Thanks for the replies @play_time_is_over and @Piotr.  

So I ended up watching a movie on Netflix during work yesterday.  I did, however, get back to work when it was over.  That is something I never do when I'm gaming because there is no real definitive end to online multiplayer.  So I'm not too disappointed with that decision. As long as I don't start a second movie... 

I had Black Ops 3 dreams last night.  My brain is definitely trying to work something out.  I've already caught myself trying to justify plugging in a console this morning. "By the time the game downloads and installs, I can have a bunch of work done" etc.  Don't worry, it's still by the wall staring at me. :)

It looks like I'm on the way to catching up on my data entry.  I'm hoping to get to invoicing and change orders by the end of the day.  Here we go! 

IMG_6201.JPG

7/13/16

I got a lot of work done yesterday.  It was, however, a constant craving to play.  I powered through like back in school when I put off doing my research paper until the last minute.  The tricky thing is what ti I do when I'm caught up with my work? I have a list of other things to do but... It will be way easy to justify a gaming session.

I just have to make sure the consoles are sold by then.  Aak. 

The problem with my Detox/Recovery that I can forsee in the future is the fact that I really have no time for a new hobby where I "get out there" and "meet new people."  I own a company which is busy work and when I get home, I'm needed by my wife and kids. The weekends are filled with home projects and family time.  I felt that gaming was my only escape because I could squeeze it in and not leave the office.  That obviously does not work for me. 

Any suggestions of ways to fill the entertainment void?  I'm afraid that if I do work, home, work, home etc.  that I will eventually fall back to gaming for escape. 

Well of to my next power through session. Thanks for listening. 

7/13/16

I got a lot of work done yesterday.  It was, however, a constant craving to play.  I powered through like back in school when I put off doing my research paper until the last minute.  The tricky thing is what ti I do when I'm caught up with my work? I have a list of other things to do but... It will be way easy to justify a gaming session.

I just have to make sure the consoles are sold by then.  Aak. 

The problem with my Detox/Recovery that I can forsee in the future is the fact that I really have no time for a new hobby where I "get out there" and "meet new people."  I own a company which is busy work and when I get home, I'm needed by my wife and kids. The weekends are filled with home projects and family time.  I felt that gaming was my only escape because I could squeeze it in and not leave the office.  That obviously does not work for me. 

Any suggestions of ways to fill the entertainment void?  I'm afraid that if I do work, home, work, home etc.  that I will eventually fall back to gaming for escape. 

Well of to my next power through session. Thanks for listening. 

@wookieshark88 might have a few suggestions as someone who's been in a similar position. I have a few ideas to relax without gaming here. Things like reading, listening to podcasts, developing a new skill like learning a new language or an instrument are common ones. This thread also has a list of activities to do at home.

It sounds like you need an activity for your down time in the office.  I would try different activities that not only can provide you with entertainment, but also (and more importantly) provide you with happiness.  Those are very different things.  I have been entertained for 12 to 14 hour gaming binges yet unhappy the entire time.  Here are my suggestions:

1. Meditate.  I use the headspace app and love it.  It has a ten day free trial.  It's 10 minutes, once a day, for 10 days.  I can go into how I benefited if you want.
  2. Draw.  I have a book called "Art Before Breakfast" that is all about learning how to sketch in very short intervals.  I can tell you that your progress and satisfaction with this will grow with constant practice.
  3. Play/learn and instrument.  I don't have to be loud.  An electric guitar can be used with headphones for example.
  4. Go for a walk.  I love my lunchtime walks.
  5. Ask coworkers how they are doing.  Listen to them talk and practice being interested in their lives.  Some people may be intolerable to listen to, but it's certainly a minority of them.  I practice this myself because it's not natural for me at all.
  6. Call your family/sibling/parents.  If you feel like you wish you could talk to them more, this is a great opportunity.
  7. Catch up on the news.  Just be careful about wasting a ton of time online.  You can strike up conversations with people about current events too.
  8. Journal.  Obviously, you're doing a good job with your journal on here, but maybe you want to write down stuff that you don't want online.  I do this sporadically.

7/14/16

I actually caught myself with console in hand, fumbling around with cables and getting ready to plug it in and start downloading my game yesterday afternoon.  Many aspects of my job are stressful enough to give you the sense of dread in the pit of my stomach.  I realize that gaming was also a wonderful escape from that stress. Even though it's still there later, while the game is on, I am unplugged from my life.  That's the thing. Gaming isn't truly "relaxing" it gives your consciousness somewhere to go that is exciting enough to distract you from life for a while.  I recall someone mentioned that gaming releases adrenaline into the bloodstream. Maybe Cam in a video?  I wonder if it releases other chemicals as well. Endorphins? 

It will be difficult today as I can feel my willpower slipping.  I guess I'll lower the price that I'm selling the consoles for on Craigslist.  I hate giving them away though. 

7/15/16

Good news and bad news.  The bad new is that I played Black Ops 3 all morning and past lunch (I'm not too happy with myself.)  The good news is that I reset, erased and unplugged my console again.

I feel more liberated this time than when I first decided to quit the first time.  I want the consoles ..gone..

I'll check in tomorrow with updates on cravings.  I really don't forsee another relapse though.  

• 1 month later...

9/14/16

It's been a while.  I guess what you guys would call what I've been doing is "relapsing."  I decided that I could cut back. I said to myself that I'm an adult and I can play video games if I want to etc.  

Whatever I thought I was going to do better didn't work.  I've been playing non-stop. I need to get on the track with all of my new friends in here.  

I used the excuse before that nobody would buy my xbox consoles from Craigslist.  I'm just going to lower the prices dramatically, I bet I can sell them both tomorrow. I can't detox if they are sitting in my office begging to be plugged back in.  

Here I go again. Reset, unplug and try to sell. 

Wish me luck!

9/26/16

Ok Bitches! I sold both of my consoles and re-started my 90 day detox.  I feel good about it. Trying to keep busy and not think of fragging noobs. 

The moment of clarity was when I was thinking that online multiplayer shooters were the problem.  I was like "I'll just play a 1st person game once in a while for fun....no problem" So I bought the Bioshock trilogy for $60 (which I've played before) for my leisure gaming. Two work days later I found myself at the end credits of Bioshock 1 and no work was complete.  So I obviously have a problem with stopping gaming once I start.  I go into a meditative state and play.  No good. 

I dramatically dropped the prices I was selling my consoles for and they went like hotcakes. Now it's just me and the backlogged pile of work to deal with. I'm looking forward to catching up on work so I can do a few non-game tasks.