July 4 - July 10 (Day 47 - 53)

19 hours social

14 hours entertainment

5.5 hours learning online

5.5 hours exercise

3 hours mentoring

2 hours drawing

3.5 hours reading

I had a day where I did piss all and watched shows and YouTube all day after work. Didn't feel too bad about it, which is a bad thing; I don't want to fall into the whole self esteem built on nothing bullshit.

That led to me re-reading "The One Thing". Decided to finally set those long term goals, to spurn the purpose > priority > productivity chain.

July 11 - July 17 (Day 54 - 60)

15.5 hours exercise

10 hours entertainment

11.5 hours social

5 hours drawing

0.75 hours reading

10 hours entertainment is not a bad number overall, but still crappy because 6.5 of those hours came from Wednesday.

Happier with productivity, because time utilization more in tune with the direction I want to go.

Instead of pure hours, just want to be one step closer to any of my goals a day. (Fitness, diet, hobby, work)

Finished setting my "One Thing" method goals for fitness. To be reviewed constantly and adjusted as I progress. Won't share all of them, but want to share the fitness one, shown below.

Focusing Questions:

• What's the ONE thing I want to do someday?
  • Climb a V7 bouldering problem
  • Based on my someday goal, what's the ONE thing I can do in the next five years?
  • Build a climbing wall in my house (within 2 years) so that I can practice for fun (grease the groove)
  • Work V5s till they're easy, and project V6
  • Work V6s till they're easy, and project V7
  • Based on my five year goal, what's the ONE thing I can do this year?
  • Be able to do V4 consistently, and work them until they're easy as I project on V5
  • Based on my year goal, what's the ONE thing I can do this month?
  • Attempt V3/V4s every other session, pay attention to the types of problems vs what areas I'm strong in on the day of to minimize risk of injury
  • Based on my month goal, what's the ONE thing I can do this week?
  • Spend at least 1 day between each session working out/conditioning an area I feel needs more work
  • Based on my week goal, what's the ONE thing I can do today?
  • Schedule out my sessions and how I will approach them a week ahead of time
  • Read information on climbing training
  • Based on my daily goal, what's the ONE thing I can do right now?
  • Read, plan, and watch videos to motivate me

• 2 weeks later...

July 18-24 (Day 61 - Day 67)

15.5 hours exercise

11.5 hours entertainment

11.5 hours social

3 hours drawing

3.5 hours learning online

30 minutes reading

Haven't read much recently, part of the reason is not a lot of new books to go through, but also partly getting into greater emphasis on exercise, so I don't have a problem with that. Want to continue doing something everyday that contributes towards fitness/drawing/both as the priority, and shave hours off entertainment if I can. Hoping that the former will naturally make the latter easier.
July 25-31 (Day 68 - Day 74)

23 hours social

11.5 hours drawing

10.5 hours entertainment

10 hours exercise

1 hour learning online

30 minutes reading

Nothing hugely different, started using coach.me to put more hours into drawing, had friends over for the weekend from Calgary. Coach.me pretty useful thus far. This looks like a good potential way to minimize the entertainment time, as it's a nice daily way to reminding me of what I wish to accomplish in the long run.

Haven't tried audio books yet, I've used it before on the drive to Calgary recently and have thought about it before while doing cardio/conditioning. That being said, at this point in time I prefer to strategize a way to reduce entertainment as well as get back into the 50/10 minute work/break to incorporate reading in there.

Traditionally I've used my iPad to set the timer, but this is a habit I haven't developed. Was going pretty well few weeks ago but I fell off that for some reason... 

That being said, just writing this response has gotten the mental processing going. I'm going to find a way to put an annoying reminder on my computer for every hour, there must be some third party app for that. What do you think?

What do you think?

I like it. The only thing I would invite you to consider is finding a different word to describe it than "annoying." The reminder isn't meant to annoy you, it's meant to support you live the best life possible for yourself. It's a friend! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Cam. I started using Coach.Me for the singular most important thing I cared about and only a few days later I've got a few items on there now. It's a great supplementary tool to a task tracker because it's great at not only highlighting the key items I want to work on, but it also helps me prioritize better to see how many of each are done in the week.

August 1 - 7 (Day 75 - Day 81)

22.5 hours social

8.5 hours entertainment

8.5 hours drawing

6.5 hours exercising

4 hours learning online

3 hours learning online (sports science)

2.5 hours reading

1 hours meditating

Much better of a week. Coach.Me really helped with drawing and meditating. Set a windows task reminder to remember to take 10 minute breaks every hour while I work. Keeps my brain in better shape and puts me in a better mood after work. Entertainment getting closer to 1h/day, which is a good enough level for now. More so happy with the other hours of productivity.

One of the more subtle but key items in my Coach.Me is a daily focusing question via The One Thing.

"What's The ONE Thing I Can Do Such That By Doing It Everything Else Will Be Easier Or Unnecessary?"

This has really helped me prioritize when I have blocks of free time. 

One of the more subtle but key items in my Coach.Me is a daily focusing question via The One Thing.

"What's The ONE Thing I Can Do Such That By Doing It Everything Else Will Be Easier Or Unnecessary?"

This has really helped me prioritize when I have blocks of free time. 

Game changer! 

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a late post. Also realized I'm currently past day 90, awesome. No big changes or anything like that, I rather like the fact that I'm not really counting the days but rather enjoying every day.

August 8 - August 14 (Day 82 - Day 88)

18 hours sports

13 hours drawing

12 hours learning (reading, online, socially, mental exercises)

8.5 hours entertainment

5 hours social

2 hours meditating

Really happy with the progress this past week. Just want to keep it up and compound the progress towards rock climbing and drawing. Lots of sports volume in retrospect, 6.5 hours of climbing and the rest of the time fencing, badminton, archery, general cardio. Doing a figure drawing course for drawing, been spending hours just practicing gestures. Coach.Me helping me prioritize a lot, as the only things on there are the daily contributions to me important long term goals.

Thanks Cam!

August 15 - August 21 (Day 89 - Day 95)

24 hours social

14.5 hours exercise

7 hours drawing

6 hours entertainment

6 hours learning

1.5 hours meditating

• Managed to keep the entertainment down this week.
  • Still could've been less though, as the vast majority of it came from 3 days.
  • After work, social events, exercise activity, some days I barely have time to squeeze in drawing + desired reading. This is a good thing.
  • Doesn't burn me out because I'm keeping busy doing things I not only enjoy, but are meaningful and build towards an overall goal

Don't know if this will help anyone, but I read the Art of Manliness book a few months ago, and their statement that "Industry Fights Depression" really rang with me. I've been pretty happy all year, and since I quit games, that feeling has increased substantially. The busy + meaningful schedule is really the core of it. The book is based off their website, so here's the online section if anyone is interested. http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/04/06/the-virtuous-life-industry/

• 2 months later...

Haven't posted in forever. That being said, I am 177 days game free including today I think.

Physical health is doing great, personal development is nice and steady. Tracking lots of stuff, experimenting with different themes each week (ie: morning routine, hobby focus, general momentum).

As for time spent non-productively on entertainment, since and including August 21st, sitting at 133 hours. Average of 1.6 hours a day. Had some weeks with TV binge, about 16-20 hours of time wasting, but I'm happy with the average.