New Video! From 60lbs overweight, grades dropping, to 6-pack, married, successful business. The story of Nicholas Bayerle.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Blocking swear words [REJECTED]

15 posts in this topic

Posted

There is one function I really miss here in comparison to the gaming forum, namely, some sort of blocking swear words. I remember as I was writing a post on LotRO forum, and I used a word I believed to be slang, but as I am not a native speaker, I was not aware that this expression was in fact vulgar. I could not post the message until I removed the word and rephrased my statement. Here, I noticed that quite a lot of people often use vulgar words. I do not think this is a proper thing to do, because there are some forum members that are still very young, and this is not setting a good example for them.

Posted

Well In my opinion vulgarity isn't a problem. I wouldn't encourage anyone to use swearwords but I don't see an actual harm in them. If someone can visit an online forum and played some online games, swearwords won't be shocking or news to them anyway.

3 people like this

Posted

Yeah, I doubt anyone's going to be offended...

And if they are... fuck em! :D

2 people like this

Posted

Are we striving to become better people or not? If yes, how is using swear words compatible with this goal? I am not personally concerned about these words, I am not a native speaker of English, and as research shows, non-native speakers perceive swear words in a foreign language (even one they are quite proficient in) as definitely milder than functional equivalents of these words in their native language, and they do not have such a strong emotional reaction to them as it is the case with swear words in their native language. So, for me the word "fuck" may be a mild swear word because I am Polish and do not have the same emotional reaction to it as native speakers of English do. I know it is one of the worst swear words in English, but I am not repulsed by it as I would be by Polish swear word functionally equivalent to it. So I may not mind English swear words, but if it were a discussion board in Polish and it were so peppered with these vulgar expressions, I would probably have left the forum, coming to the conclusion that people on that forum are very rude and lack culture. Anyway, there is nothing positive one can express with swear words, they can only be used with negative feelings, such as anger, contempt, hatred, and these are not the feelings we would like to strengthen in this community. Even if someone wants to give vent to their hatred of games they can do so in a more civilised way ;)

Posted

In my opinion the problem with censoring/banning swearwords is the freedom of speech. If someone wants to use swearwords it is their right to do so as long they don't insult anyone else. I get your arguments and think they are valid but it is the choice of the forum-users how they want to write.

Posted

Thanks for the suggestion Primmulla and to everybody else for adding their input. I'm not interested in blocking swear words on the site. If anything is out of control I will delete the post and message people individually.

Posted

Censoring swear words censors assholes like me.

Look, the moment you start blocking vulgarity is the point where you start excluding many walks of life.

The fact is, I can either describe the dead bodies I've seen or simply say friends got fucked.
I can describe the abuse I've watched family and friends endure or I can summarize it as a shit storm.
I can talk about friends fucking themselves over, or I can talk about friends getting hooked on meth and burying their dreams beneath denial and a thousand "some day"s until they finally wash them away with alcohol.

However, I don't have enough tears to face all this honest full disclosure without some bullshit barrier between me and the death, self destruction, and hatred that entails. That's why I swear like a fucking asshole who strives even to give a damn about all the bullshit bitching I have to do.

I've buried too many young friends and accepted too much self-destruction of others to communicate, as my honest and genuine self, in any other way.

I respect your sensitivities. Thus, with fellow soldiers and comrades I encourage "respectable" public behavior.
However, here, in this forum, I hope to be open and honest with you. This entails some extreme vulgarity. However, this vulgarity is aimed at protecting me and men and women like me who know their grief makes unpleasant conversation but have little honest recourse. This is not aimed at offending or discouraging others. This is aimed at finding a voice no matter how hoarse or angry. Are there better ways to communicate? Probably, and I hope to learn them.

Remember, some of us started gaming because it offered a world where we could make a difference.

1 person likes this

Posted

I can barely avoid swearing in my keynotes, so I don't think I could do it on this forum :P

Posted

I'm against censoring swear words, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if individuals had a choice to turn on a "safe" filter.

4 people like this

Posted

Damn good point Ed.

Posted

I'm against censoring swear words, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if individuals had a choice to turn on a "safe" filter.

I'll look into this. Not sure if we have that option yet.

Posted

As a bit offensive and foul-mouthed user, I second this. 

Maybe should come in hand with some kind of "spoilers" black filter or something like that. Could be useful in some situations, like when you write about something you feel it could trigger other people, or even yourself. Or if you're giving actual spoilers about something non-game related (e.g. a film, book, series...)

Posted

I haven't found any forum feature for a safe filter yet. 

Posted

Thanks for the suggestion Primmulla.

Posted

Yeah I'm with Ed, I'm not against censoring but a choice to add a profanity filter in your profile setting or something. Have it as default when you create an account and allow the user to access it and turn it off after account creation.

The most diplomatic choice in my eyes ^^