"Be open to all outcomes, but attached to none."

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Increasing Gamequitters website Visitors

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Allright here is the idea.

I like reading articles online about random stuff that I am curious about.

I came across a guy name Nathan Eliason who writes some fun and usefull articles.(This irrelevant to the topicbut anyway..)

So Nat has a tool that can increase the visitors and "shares" of a website.

Now,I have to admit I'm an amateur at websites and stuff BUT, I believe that if "we" increase the awareness of people about the existence of the Gamequitters forums and Community many people who want to quit  games will benefit.The gamequitters community has helped me a lot so I want more people to know about it.

Just an idea of mine...So I'll post some links about the tool that increases the website "popularity" below.(I have never used it so I have no clue how it works but you can contact the owner on twitter or send him an email if you find this idea appealing).By "you" I mean Cam or whoever else runs this website/forums n stuff.

I'll also post the link to Nat's website where he posts articles about stuff.I personally enjoy reading some and some are super helpfull.That's about it..

https://sumome.com/   <--- the tool

http://www.nateliason.com/  <--- nat's websitewith article

CHeers

Posted

Thanks for sharing! I'm familiar with SumoMe and we do have a lot of the elements they share on the site. One of the best things we can do for growing visitors is to think about the type of content we can create that will connect more with people who are struggling in silence.

So the question I would ask is, what kind of content would you share? What article, video, etc could we create to share our story without telling gamers gaming is bad.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for sharing! I'm familiar with SumoMe and we do have a lot of the elements they share on the site. One of the best things we can do for growing visitors is to think about the type of content we can create that will connect more with people who are struggling in silence.

So the question I would ask is, what kind of content would you share? What article, video, etc could we create to share our story without telling gamers gaming is bad.

Really interesting question.I'm afraid I dont have the answer,however I'll do my best to share my prespective!!

I believe that the only way someone can make the decision to go through such a lifestyle change is: that he really wants to quit games .That is rather obvious I know but what I mean is that there little we can do to "convince" or "urge" someone to quit games (or make any lifestyle change for that matter).One has to want to quit to make it.I believe we reach that decision either by inspiration(such as wanting a better life for ourselves , having a vision about what our life should be like and realising that gaming isnt helping towards our goals. The best we can do is be the best version of ourselves as gamequitters community to inspire others to go for their dreams and give them permission to go for whatever the want in life.

The other way is desperation.Sometimes it rains on our parade, and our life spirals downward till he hit rock bottom ,it's how life is when you dont know any better.That's not neccesarily a bad thing in my opinion.When you hit a new low in life I believe you have the strength deepwithin to bounce back higher than ever before!Sometimes you say enough is f*cking enough ,things gotta change and you make the decision in an instant.That's usually the point where your life turns around but when you are at the bottom looking at the top it looks like a long way up and it can be discouraging.That's again when the gamequitters community can step in and offer valuable help.

Having gone through all kinds of shit and managing to survive it some can share their experiences and help others up the mountain!

For most people I believe it's a combination of inspiration and desperation but the balance is difference in each case as we are all different.However I do believe a huge part of reaching that crucial decision to quit is having awareness of your current situation.Most of us delude ourselves and think we are fine were we are ,probably because we see everyone else doing the same things and we dont really wanna stray too far from the pack , even though deep inside we know we want and deserve more!

So if a gamer asked me how do I stop playing video games .What's the one thing that will let me know if I can and if I want to quit video games?

I'd say it's the Courage to be brutally honest with yourself.Sooner rather than later ,we have to face the reality with any kind of problems , stress ,pain,discomorfot or fear we are experiencing.I believe I was intentionally deluding myself .I didnt want to face THE reality cause it wasnt MY reality and that would mean an identity crises that seemed to painfull to go through.

I had to lose 1.5 semester of classes ,reach tens of thousands of gaming hours ,quit relapse and  then quit again many times.Have no sexual life whatsoever till I decided to turn things around.So it was definetelly desperation that helped me made the decision.I'm sure there are so many others with similar stories .

So yeah that's my perspective.More practical suggestions about content such as videos, articles etc that we can put out there to help more people would be:

• youtube Video/article about being aware of your gaming habits(e.g. writing down everytime you game and for how many hours and how did it make you feel) or keeping a journal about your thoughts , emotions, habits and routines on gaming.
  • youtube Video/article about facing and accepting reality.As in at what point we are at our lives and is that point congruent with  where we want to be(Sometimes it's hard to find what you really want out of life, cause many of your so called "wants" and "needs" are not really ours but what our social conditioning has led us to believe that we want
  • Last but not least,this group of people in gamequitters community has to do it's absolute best! We have to give it our best and be the best we can be!Find out what we want and go for it without excuses .That's how we inspire people and conciously or unconciously give them permission to follow their own path to success ,happiness and fullfillment!

Cheers

Edited by addict10n
2 people like this

Posted

You're right, content is king!
However, based on my gut feeling (which doesn't account for that much.. but still) I think you have to share how connected a non-gamers' life can feel.

Those who are, as you put it, struggling in silence first of all lose their online friends.

How do we show them that quitting games is not a lonely process at all? 

Well, personally I would love to see people of this community get together to do all kinds of things. Hanging out, going bowling, going to the beach or a café/club. Whatever you can think off! and then.... (here it comes) make pictures and videos. You can also record a bit in the voice channels or print screen some of the chat and the forums**. With all this you make our connection almost tangible! Have someone edit it together and put some nice music underneath and you can draw more people to join our community! :-)

Now I'm not saying: Make it look easy or awesome. I'd recommend a video which shows both highs and lows. but, just like our attitude, is mostly positive.

** disclaimer: of course pictures, recordings and print screens should be of actual content (not something faked) and with actual consent of all the people who're part of the content. but I hope that's obvious :-)

Kind Regards, Chris

1 person likes this

Posted

Hoping to do more videos of the members soon. For meetups and stuff if people host them and send me pictures/videos I'm happy to post them.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0