NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

"Freedom" February 2016 - Sign up!

Cam Adair

Hey everyone! Welcome to the second official sign-up thread for StopGaming’s “No Gaming” February 2016!

After the success of last months thread I figured we should do it again! Thanks to /r/nofap for the inspiration. If this thread provides value we can continue to do them each month.

Use this thread to share your commitment to abstain from playing video games for the entire month of February 2016.

New in February:

• We have added an option to get an accountability partner this month. Post your own thread here and find an accountability partner.
  • Our goal as a community is to have 1000 members complete the 90 day detox this year, allowing us to quantify the impact of not gaming within your quality of life. To sign-up and participate in this study of our community, click here.

New to Game Quitters?

1. Learn about the importance of the 90 day "no gaming" detox here. Learn about compulsive gaming and video game addiction by reading through StopGaming, the Game Quitters website and CGAA.
  2. If you are committed to your 90 day detox, sign up for this month by replying to this submission. It's that simple.
  3. To track your progress setup a badge (coming soon to this forum). The counter has been having a few troubles lately so we also recommend using an app like Coach.me or a whiteboard/calendar in your room.
  4. Ask questions and get support by posting on the forum. The more involved you can be in the community, the more likely you are to succeed.
  5. Document your progress in a daily journal. Having a daily journal will help you clarify your thoughts and process your experience.

Ready to join? Reply to this thread and answer the following:

1. What is your commitment? No games? No streams? Anything else?
  2. How long do you want this challenge to last? By default it is one month, but 90 days is recommended for your detox.
  3. What are your goals?
  4. Why are you doing this?

Is it past the first of the month?

No worries. You can still join in. Add your commitment and start your detox today!

I will commit! In my journal I have committed to going all of 2016 without gaming.

• No games or streams. The only exception is I'll allow myself gaming with friends, in-person, if it spontaneously happens while I'm socializing, which is rare, but happens. I don't actively seek or accept invitations to social gaming events though.
  2. How long do you want this challenge to last? By default it is one month, but 90 days is recommended for your detox.
    • 2016! :D
  3. What are your goals?
    • To continue to grow as a person and to support other people on the forum in their journeys.
    • Because going back to gaming would make me unhappy.

• I abstain from any computer, console, and mobile games (including any source of gaming streams) for 90 days
    • From January 13, 2016, to April 12, 2016.
  3. What are your goals?
    • I wish to become more active and social in my day to day life while stepping up my GPA in college after the 90-day detox on April 12, 2016.
    •  I want to meet new friends outside of a virtual world and achieve my fitness goals
Edited by Zakaex

• 3 weeks later...

I completed my detox this January, but I decided to give up gaming for Lent, so that I do not play from Ash Wednesday to Easter (27.03.2016). I would also abstain from game recaps and reviews. As I am not really addicted to games, this is because of religious reasons rather than a real need to quit gaming. I believe religious motivation is really strong, so if you are Catholic it is definitely a good idea to try and quit gaming for Lent. It may be just for penance, or it may wean you off games so that when Lent ends you may no longer be interested in them, and in this way it may prepare you to give them up for good.

I just don't think that games actually lead to happiness.

I think they just get in the way of actual happiness. Pleasure isn't happiness. Easy pleasure actually can be the cause of great dissatisfaction. Challenge gives you a sense of purpose and power, and there's this relieving gut feeling that you get when you challenge yourself with something that is actually helpful to you.

Edited by Alkan

• Guest unpinned this topic
  • Hitaru locked this topic